|President||Patrick Dupriez, Ecolo
Since 14 March, 2012
|Length of term||5 years|
|Last election||7 June 2009|
|Next election||May 2014|
|Saint-Gilles building, Namur|
The Walloon Parliament (French: Parlement wallon), formerly the Walloon Regional Council (Conseil régional wallon), is the Parliament of Wallonia, one of the self-governing Regions of Belgium with Flanders and the Brussels-Capital Region. The parliament building, the former Hospice Saint-Gilles, is situated in Namur, the capital of Wallonia, at the symbolic confluence of the Meuse and the Sambre, the two main rivers of the most inhabited parts of the country, the Sillon industriel. On the other side of the Meuse, facing the Parliament, is the Élysette, the seat of the Walloon government.
All members of the Walloon Parliament are also members of the Parliament of the French Community, except for German-speaking members (currently Monika Dethier-Neumann and Edmund Stoffels) who represent the German-speaking population and are advisory members of the Parliament of the German-speaking Community.
The parliament exercises several functions:
- It discusses and passes decrees, and they can take initiatives to draw them up. After this, decrees are sanctioned and promulgated by the Walloon Government.
- It controls the Walloon Government. Control is exercised via the vote.
- It ratifies the international treaties linked to its powers.
|Parti Socialiste ("Socialist Party")||29|
|Mouvement Réformateur ("Reformist Movement")||19|
|Centre démocrate humaniste ("Humanist Democratic Centre")||13|
|Parti Socialiste ("Socialist Party")||34|
|Mouvement Réformateur ("Reformist Movement")||20|
|Centre démocrate humaniste ("Humanist Democratic Centre")||14|
|Front National ("National Front")||4|
|Parti Socialiste ("Socialist Party")||25|
|Parti Réformateur Libéral ("Reformist Movement")
with Front Démocratique des Francophones ("Democratic Front of the Francophones")
|Parti Social Chrétien ("Christian Socialist Party")||14|
|Front National ("National Front")||1|
- Walloon Government
- Minister-President of the Walloon Region
- Flemish Parliament
- Parliament of the Brussels-Capital Region
- Parliament of the French Community
- Parliament of the German-speaking Community
- Official Webpage (French)