|Genres||Hip hop, electronic, pop|
|Associated acts||Facing New York|
Wallpaper (stylized as Wallpaper.) is an American hip hop and pop music project, fronted by producer and multi-instrumentalist songwriter Ricky Reed, based in Oakland, California. Wallpaper. is currently signed to Boardwalk Records/Epic Records and recently played at SXSW in Austin, Texas. He gained popularity due to his exaggerated use of Auto-Tune and minimal electronic music while satirizing the lack of feeling in mainstream pop.
In 2004, Ricky Reed started by composing songs on the computer and exaggerating the lyrics in Auto-Tune. As auto-tune became more prevalent in mainstream music, Reed's songs gained popularity. In 2009, in his album debut Doodoo Face (Eenie Meenie), Wallpaper. He moved on from past satire lyrics to legitimate songwriting and masterful production. Strains of Daft Punk rattled through the seething, bass-dripping “Celebrity.” Brian Eno could be heard in the quiet electro of “Fine GF.” For “Gettin’ Drip,” he recorded his own chipmunk soul sample, while “Frk Scn” featured a distinct Ghanaian rhythm called “Ewe” that Reed beat out by hand.
In December 2010, Wallpaper. released "#STUPiDFACEDD," a song critics describe as nothing you hear everyday and that it is also very entertaining to listen to. In January 2011, Wallpaper. went on tour with The Dance Party and K.Flay. In April 2011, Wallpaper released "#STUPiDFACEDD" official video. His first Red Carpet appearance was at the MTV Movie Awards 2011 in Los Angeles, California where he started promoting his recently released music video. In August 2011, his song "#STUPiDFACEDD" was being played at radio stations all over the nation by popular demand on Likeit.fm and because of this, he started touring with the band Awolnation. After this tour ended, he got an invitation from Gym Class Heroes and The Dirty Heads to go on tour for a couple of months closing the tour at The Grove in Anaheim, California.
Wallpaper.'s new single "FUCKING BEST SONG EVERRR" was premiered on MTV's Liquid Television where critics described it as "It was just one of those nights. One wrong turn and next thing you know, you’re in the desert practicing a little botany, doing a little dancing." On December 31, 2011, he played a special concert with Kreayshawn, Roach Gigz, Starting Six and DJ Amen at the Regency Ballroom in San Francisco, California. It peaked on the Pop Songs at number 36.
Wallpaper. performed at Coachella 2012 on April 13 and April 20. Even though he was a late addition to the festival, they managed to fill the Mojave tent with fans that followed Ricky Reed's moves. However, the set's best moment came with the unreleased "Trouble" that according to Spin Magazine sounded like something Britney Spears would have recorded back in her boa constrictor-era. Novena Carmel also performed along with Wallpaper. and a trio of tight-as-a-fist percussionists.
Wallpaper. also performed six times at in March 2011, March 12 at the Say Media Party, March 14 at the Billboard Magazine Showcase and the Idolator's 'Pray for Pop' at Pure Volume House, March 15 at MTV Woodies Festival, March 16 at the Hard Rock Music Lounge, and on March 17 at the Nylon/DUB Frequency Party. His success at SXSW led Wallpaper. to perform "#STUPiDFACEDD" at Jimmy Kimmel Live!. On May 10, 2012, Wallpaper. performed on Last Call with Carson Daly Tonight.
Ricky Reed's biggest performance so far has been at KIIS-FM's 2012 Wango Tango. Also, on May 20, 2012, he performed at the Bamboozle festival in New Jersey along with bands like Bon Jovi, Brand New and The Gaslight Anthem. His last performance was at the Nylon Music Issue Release Party where artists like Leah LaBelle and Quadron also attended.
"#STUPiDFACEDD" was used in the 2012 science fiction found footage film Chronicle and was featured promptly in the trailer and TV spots for the American action comedy film 22 Jump Street (2014), as well as in the film itself.
Wallpaper. as launched several online campaigns, including the "Ricky Reed is Real" campaign, "Fucking Best Song Ever," and "Puke My Brains Out," in promotion of newly released singles. Images of Reed and fans have been posted on several Social Networking sites like Twitter and Instagram with the tags "Fucking Best Weekend Ever, "Best Song Ever," etc. have been posted in promotion of music.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Ricky Reed is Real||10|
|Album Title||Album details|
|Wallpaper. - EP||
|T Rex - EP||
|T REX RMXd - EP||
|#STUPiDFACEDD - EP||
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"I Got Soul, I'm So Wasted"||2009||—||—||—||Doodoo Face|
|"#STUPiDFACEDD"||2011||—||—||—||#STUPiDFACEDD - EP|
|"Fucking Best Song Everrr"||2012||—||8||36|
|"Good 4 It"||2013||—||18||—||Ricky Reed is Real|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart.|
|"21 Jump Street (Main Theme)"||2012||Non-album single|
|"Drunken Hearts"||2013||Ricky Reed is Real|
- "Epic Records Artists | The Official Epic Records Site". Epicrecords.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Welcome to SXSW 2013 | SXSW 2013". Sxsw.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Wallpaper". Schedule.sxsw.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "#STUPidFACEDD – Wallpaper". The Kollection. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "“F******* Best Song Everrr” by Wallpaper. – Liquid Television". Liquidtelevision.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Coachella 2012: Kendrick Lamar, Wallpaper., and 5 More Acts We Missed Last Friday | SPIN | Coachella | Festival Coverage". SPIN. 2012-04-21. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Coachella 2012: Wallpaper’s noon-hour dance party". Buzzbands.la. 2012-04-14. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Port, Ian S. (2012-03-01). "Here Is Video of Wallpaper. Performing "Best Song Everrr" on Jimmy Kimmel Live - San Francisco - Music - All Shook Down". Blogs.sfweekly.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Mlynar, Phillip (2012-02-10). "The Park on Drinking Baileys with Wallpaper., Appearing on Carson Daly's TV Show, and What Song They'd Play for Mitt Romney - San Francisco - Music - All Shook Down". Blogs.sfweekly.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "The Bamboozle Festival". 2012.thebamboozle.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "NYLON Music Issue Launch: Party Snaps | StyleCaster News". News.stylecaster.com. 2011-06-22. Retrieved 2012-09-07.