|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Abilene HS (TX)
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
1 NAIA National (1973)
Wallace "Wally" "Coach Bully" Bullington is a former American football player, coach, and sports figure from the state of Texas. He served Abilene Christian University in Abilene, Texas for 39 years as football player, assistant football coach, head football coach and athletic director before he retired from the university's athletic staff in 1988, but not before leading the school to its first national championship in 1973.
As a player on the offensive line at Abilene Christian, Bullington was a four-year letterman and helped lead the Wildcats to the only perfect season in school history for the 1950 season with a record of 11-0. Bullington was named to the All-Texas Conference football team in 1950, 1951 and 1952 and was selected an All-American in 1952. He was selected to the ACU "team of the century" as both a player and coach.
Bullington got started in coaching at Abilene High School from 1960 to 1965. While an assistant coach at Abilene High School, the Dallas Morning News named the squad the "Team of the Century" due to their 49-game winning streak.
Bullington was the tenth head football coach for the Abilene Christian University Wildcats located in Abilene, Texas and he held that position for nine seasons, from 1968 until 1976. His coaching record at Abilene Christian was 62 wins, 32 losses, and 2 ties. As of the conclusion of the 2007 season, this ranks him second at Abilene Christian in total wins and fifth at Abilene Christian in winning percentage (.656).
The 1973 season saw his team finish with 11 wins and one loss while winning the NAIA Division I National Championship by defeating Elon College by a score of 42-14. In 1976, his team won the San Juncito Shrine Bowl with a victory over Southwestern Oklahoma State by a score of 24-7.
Return to athletics
- Heartlight Magazine "Staying on Track" Lou Seckler
- Abilene Reporter News "Sports Closer to Home" September 7, 2006
- ACU Optimist "1973 Wildcats look back at football team's first national championship" November 7, 2003
- Athens News Courier "Limestone County Sports HOF inducts its class of 2006 Saturday" May 29, 2006
- WWE News "From Wrestling God to Football God" Evan Denbaum, September 13, 2005
- Abilene Reporter News "Five decades later, the Eagles are again flying high" By Marc David, December 9, 2007
- Boston Globe "Deep in the Heart of Texas"
- ACU.edu Profiles: Wally Bullington
- WFAA Channel 8 Dallas/Fort Worth "Getting the old gang back together at Abilene High" Kevin Sherrington June 10, 2007
- College Football Reference Abilene Christian University Football Records
- 2008 Wildcat Football (media guide) ACU Record Book
- Abilene Christian University coaching records
- College Football Data Warehouse Abilene Christian University 1973 football results
- NAIA National Football Championships history
- Victory Sports Network "NAIA Football-National Championships Year by Year"
- Lone Star Conference LSC Football standouts honored as part of 75th anniversary celebration
- College Football Data Warehouse Abilene Christian University bowl games history
- Abilene Reporter-News "Amazing Feat" by Patrick Gonzales
- Lone Star Confernece Hall of Honor
- NCAA News "DIRECTORS OF ATHLETICS" April 1, 2002