|Area||0.82 sq mi (2 km2)|
|- land||0.82 sq mi (2 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||1,726.8 / sq mi (667 / km2)|
|Village president||Dennis Grobe|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Walnut, Illinois|
Walnut is located at (41.556404, -89.591503).
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 0.82 square miles (2.1 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,461 people, 576 households, and 400 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,754.2 people per square mile (679.6/km²). There were 607 housing units at an average density of 728.8 per square mile (282.4/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 99.25% White, 0.07% African American, 0.07% Asian, and 0.62% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.41% of the population.
There were 576 households out of which 32.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.6% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.4% were non-families. 28.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the village the population was spread out with 25.9% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 25.1% from 25 to 44, 20.5% from 45 to 64, and 22.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 86.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.5 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $40,227, and the median income for a family was $46,641. Males had a median income of $35,625 versus $17,500 for females. The per capita income for the village was $20,126. About 4.8% of families and 6.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.3% of those under age 18 and 1.7% of those age 65 or over.
- Dan Kolb, pitcher for five Major League Baseball teams; graduated from Walnut High School
- Don Marquis, author of Archy and Mehitabel; born in Walnut
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Walnut village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.