Walpole Island Indian Reserve No. 46
|Walpole Island 46|
|• Chief||Joseph Gilbert|
|• Federal riding||Lambton—Kent—Middlesex|
|• Prov. riding||Lambton—Kent—Middlesex|
|• Land||137.28 km2 (53.00 sq mi)|
|• Density||13.7/km2 (35/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||519 and 226|
Walpole Island is an island and Indian reserve in southwestern Ontario, Canada, on the border between Ontario and Michigan in the United States. It is located in the mouth of the St. Clair River on Lake St. Clair, approximately thirty miles (50 km) northeast of Detroit, Michigan, and Windsor, Ontario.
In addition to Walpole Island itself, the reserve also includes Squirrel, St. Anne, Seaway, Bassett, and Potawatomi Islands. It is unceded territory and is inhabited by the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa peoples of the Walpole Island First Nation, who call it Bkejwanong, meaning "where the waters divide."
It is part of Lambton County, and adjoins the municipality of Chatham-Kent and the township of St. Clair. Across the St. Clair River to the west are the city of Algonac, Michigan, and Clay Township, Michigan, as well as Harsen's Island, also unceded Anishinaabe territory, now on the west side of the international border line after it was redrawn following disputes between Great Britain and the United States, oblivious to interests and rights of the Indigenous Peoples living on and using this land.
As of January 2011, the registered population of the Walpole Island First Nation is 4315 members, of whom 2213 live on the reserve, 22 live on another reserve, and 2080 live off reserve.
|2011 population unavailable.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walpole Island Indian Reserve No. 46.|
- "Walpole Island 46 community profile". 2006 Census data. Statistics Canada. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Walpole Island Heritage Centre - About nin.da.waab.jig
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada - First Nation Profiles: Walpole Island Registered Population
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006 census
||Harrison Township / Lake St. Clair|| Clay Township, Algonac
St. Clair River
| St. Clair Shores / Lake St. Clair
Grosse Pointe Shores
| Grosse Pointe Farms / Lake St. Clair
|Lake St. Clair