Walsh Jesuit High School
|Walsh Jesuit High School|
Men and Women for Others, Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam
For the Greater Glory of God
|4550 Wyoga Lake Road
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, 44224-1059
|Type||Private, Co-educational, college preparatory|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Enrollment||1100 students (2014-15)|
|Campus size||Over 108 acres (0.44 km2)|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold|
|Athletics||Baseball, basketball, bowling, cheerleading, cross-country, football, golf, hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track, volleyball, and wrestling|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Average SAT scores||546 (Verbal); 549 (Math); 543 (Writing)|
|Average ACT scores||24.7|
|Publication||The Sketch (Literary magazine)|
|Affiliation||Jesuit (Detroit Province)|
Walsh Jesuit High School is a private, Jesuit high school in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Founded in 1964, the school was funded by a gift from and named after Cornelius and Jane Walsh. It has been recognized fifty times as a Green Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education.
Graduation requirements require coursework in English, mathematics, social studies, science, foreign language, fine arts, physical education, and theology with additional courses in computer science available. As an accredited college preparatory high school, Walsh Jesuit also provides an Advanced Placement program, preparing students to take over 18 AP tests with an 81% of test scores qualifying for college credit. 100% of students continue to higher education; 99.5% of graduates attend four-year institutions throughout the United States. More than 90 percent of the class of 2007 received merit scholarships totaling nearly $20 million. Nearly 80% of Walsh's faculty members hold at least a master's degree. The average teaching experience for a Walsh Jesuit teacher is 17 years. There are 80 members of the professional staff, including five Jesuit priests.
The latest available median SAT (math + verbal) was 1136/1600; the median ACT was 25/36—both well above state and national averages.
Walsh Jesuit has won 35 Ohio High School Athletic Association team state championships, 4th most in Ohio history. Walsh Jesuit is currently in the North Coast League, since the beginning of the 2011–12 school year.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Cross Country - 1984, 2002 
- Boys Baseball - 1999, 2004, 2006, 2008 
- Boys Football - 1999 
- Boys Wrestling - 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000 
- Boys Golf – 1990, 1991, 1996, 1997 
- Boys Soccer – 1982, 1990,2006 
- Girls Golf – 2001, 2004, 2007 
- Girls Soccer – 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 
- Girls Softball – 2002, 2004 
- Girls Basketball – 2005 
- Ryan Armour (1994), professional golfer on the PGA Tour
- Christopher Connor (1974), CEO of Sherwin-Williams Co.
- Connor Cook (2011), Quarterback for the Michigan State Spartans
- Steve Fitzhugh (1982), Former NFL Safetywith Denver Broncos.
- Brock Kreitzburg (1994), member of the USA-1 four man bobsled team that placed seventh in the 2006 Winter Olympics
- Kenneth Merten(1979), United States Ambassador to Croatia
- Tim Murphy (1970), member of the United States House of Representatives
- Michael Nanchoff (2007), 8th overall pick of the Vancouver Whitecaps
- Jason Rohrer (1996), game designer
- Mike Vrabel (1993), Former NFL Linebacker and current Linebackers Coach for the Houston Texans
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2009-06-23.[dead link]
- NCEA. "Secondary School Blue Ribbon School Awardees". Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Wrestling". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Softball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.