Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford
He was born in either Chartley Castle or the Chartley Manor which replaced it as the residence of the Barons Ferrers of Chartley following the Wars of the Roses. He was a son of John Devereux, 8th Baron Ferrers of Chartley and Cecily Bourchier.
His paternal grandparents were Anne Ferrers, 7th Baroness Ferrers of Chartley and her husband Walter Devereux, Lord Ferrers of Chartley. His maternal grandparents were William Bourchier, Viscount Bourchier and Anne Woodville.
On 5 March 1501, his father died and Walter succeeded him as the 9th Baron Ferrers of Chartley. He served with distinction in the War of the League of Cambrai (1508–1516) and the Italian War of 1521-1526.
In 1523, the Baron was created a Knight of the Garter by Henry VIII of England alongside diplomat Thomas Boleyn, later Earl of Wiltshire. In the late 1520s he came into increasing conflict with Welsh magnate Rhys ap Gruffydd, after King Henry granted Devereux major powers in Wales. This reached a head when Rhys with a gang of armed supporters threatened Ferrers with a knife in 1529. The two men were allowed to air their grievances, but Rhys' family continued to stir up trouble. Eventually Rhys was charged with treason, convicted and executed. The consolidation of Devereux's position in Wales helped prepare the way for the reformation.
He served as Custos Rotulorum of Cardiganshire from 1543 to his death.
He was created Viscount Hereford in 1550.
Marriages and children
He was first married to Mary Grey (1491- 22 February 1538) on 15 December 1503. She was a daughter of Thomas Grey, 1st Marquess of Dorset and his second wife Cecily Bonville, Baroness Harington and Bonville. Cecily Bonville was the daughter and heiress of William Bonville, 6th Baron Harington by his wife Katherine Neville. Her maternal grandparents were Alice Montagu, 5th Countess of Salisbury and her consort Richard Neville, 5th Earl of Salisbury (jure uxoris). By Mary Grey he had three children:
- Sir Richard Devereux (d. 13 October 1547). Married Dorothea Hastings. She was a daughter of George Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon and Anne Stafford. They were parents to Walter Devereux, 1st Earl of Essex.
- Sir William Devereux of Mirevale Abbey. Married Jane Scudamore, daughter of John Scudamore. The marriage produced two daughters, Barbara Devereux and Margaret Devereux.
- Henry Devereux, died unmarried.
In 1539, he married secondly Margaret Garneys, daughter of John Garneys of Kenton. They had two children:
- Sir Edward Devereux, 1st Baronet of Castle Bromwich. Married Catherine Arden. They were parents of Walter Devereux, 5th Viscount Hereford, fourth-generation ancestors of Price Devereux, 9th Viscount Hereford and fifth-generation ancestors of Edward Devereux, 11th Viscount Hereford.
- Katherine Devereux. Married Sir James Baskerville.
- Ralph Griffith, Rhys ap Thomas and his Family, University of Wales Press, Cardiff, 1993, pp.106, 110-11.
|Custos Rotulorum of Cardiganshire
|Peerage of England|
|New creation||Viscount Hereford
|Baron Ferrers of Chartley