|Walter H.G. Lewin, Ph.D.|
Lewin giving a talk at MIT in 2011
January 29, 1936 |
The Hague, Netherlands
|Alma mater||Delft University of Technology|
NASA Award for Exceptional Scientific Achievement (1978)
Everett Moore Baker Memorial Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2003)
Education and career 
He earned his Ph.D. degree in nuclear physics in 1965 at the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands. From 1960 to 1965, Lewin was a physics teacher at the Libanon Lyceum in Rotterdam. During that same period he carried out research in low-energy nuclear physics at the Delft University of Technology where he received his Ph.D.
Walter Lewin went to Massachusetts Institute of Technology in January 1966 as a post-doctoral associate, and became an assistant professor later that year. He was promoted to Associate Professor of Physics in 1968 and to full Professor in 1974. He joined the X-ray astronomy group at MIT and conducted all-sky balloon surveys with George W. Clark. Through the late seventies, there were about twenty successful balloon flights. These balloon surveys led to the discovery of five new X-ray sources, whose spectra were very different from the X-ray sources discovered during rocket observations. The X-ray flux of these sources were variable. Among them was GX 1+4 whose X-ray flux appeared to be periodic with a period of about 2.4 minutes. This was the discovery of the first slowly rotating neutron star.
In October 1967 when Scorpius X-1 was observed, an X-ray flare was detected. The flux went up by a factor of about 4 in ten minutes after which it declined again. This was the first detection of X-ray variability observed during the observations. The rockets used by other researchers could not have discovered that the X-ray sources varied on such short time scales because they were only up for several minutes, whereas the balloons could be in the air for many hours.
Lewin was co-investigator on the Small Astronomy Satellite 3 (SAS-3) project. He directed the burst observations and discovered several X-ray bursters, among them was the Rapid Burster which can produce thousands of X-ray bursts in one day. His group also discovered that the Rapid Burster produces two types of bursts and established a classification of bursts as type I (thermonuclear flashes) and type II (accretion flow instabilities).
Lewin was Co-Principal Investigator on High Energy Astronomy Observatory 1 HEAO-1 (A4), which has yielded the first all sky catalog at high-energy X rays. With H. Pedersen and J. van Paradijs, Lewin made extensive studies of optical bursts which are associated with X-ray bursts; for X-ray detections they used SAS-3 and the Japanese Observatory "Hakucho". Their combined burst observations demonstrated that the optical bursts are a few seconds delayed relative to the X-ray bursts. This established the size of the accretion disc surrounding the accreting neutron stars.
In his search for millisecond X-ray pulsations from low-mass X-ray binaries, in 1984-85 Lewin made guest observations with the European Observatory EXOSAT in collaboration with colleagues from Amsterdam and Garching, Germany. This led to the unexpected discovery of intensity-dependent Quasi-periodic oscillations (QPO) in the X-ray flux of GX 5-1. During 1989 to 1992, using the Japanese Observatory "Ginga", Lewin and his co-workers studied the relation between the X-ray spectral state and the radio brightness of several bright low-mass X-ray binaries.
Lewin was closely involved in ROSAT observations of the nearby galaxies M31 and Messier 81. Lewin and his graduate student Eugene Magnier have made deep optical CCD observations of M31 in four colors; they have published a catalogue of 500,000 objects. Lewin initiated the successful X-ray observations within six days of the appearance of supernova SN 1993J in M81.
Lewin and graduate student Jeffrey Kommers have worked on data from the Compton Gamma Ray Observatory (GRO). This was a collaboration with the BATSE Group in Huntsville, AL. In early December 1995, with co-workers Kouveliotou and Van Paradijs, they discovered a new type of X-ray burst source: (GRO J1744-28) the Bursting Pulsar, and received a NASA Achievement Award for this discovery.
Using the Chandra Observatory, Lewin and his graduate student David Pooley made extensive studies of supernovae and faint X-ray sources in Globular Clusters. This research is done in collaboration with scientists from the University of Washington, IAS in Princeton, UC Berkeley, the University of Amsterdam and Utrecht in The Netherlands, and the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, DC. The research on supernovae produced the first X-ray spectrum with unprecedented energy resolution of SN 1989S. The research on Globular Clusters demonstrated that X-ray binary stars are cooked in the cores of the clusters where the stellar density is very high.
With graduate student Jon Miller, Lewin made extensive studies of black-hole X-ray binaries in our galaxy. Evidence was found for spectral distortions of the iron line (in X-rays) indicative of the influence of general relativity on the iron-line emission in the vicinity of the "event horizon" of the black holes. This research on black-hole binaries is continuing using all available observatories in orbit: Chandra, the Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer (RXTE), and the European observatories XMM-Newton and Integral.
Lewin is also an art enthusiast and collector. He has given a lecture at MIT "Looking at 20th Century Art through the Eyes of a Physicist - Walter Lewin (video)". In the seventies and eighties, he collaborated with the artists Otto Piene (born in Germany), who was one of the founders of the ZERO movement and the director of MIT's Center for Advanced Visual Studies, and Peter Struycken (Dutch) who is one of the leading computer artists in the world.
Professor Lewin has published about 450 scientific articles to date.
In 1978, Lewin received the NASA Award for Exceptional Scientific Achievement.
In 1984 he was the recipient of the Alexander von Humboldt Award and of a Guggenheim Fellowship and the MIT's Science Council Prize for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching.
In 1988 and the W. Buechner Teaching Prize of the MIT Department of Physics.
In 1986 he was the Distinguished Spring Lecturer at Princeton University.
In 1993 he was elected as a Corresponding Member of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences.
In 1996 he was elected as an American Physical Society Fellow.
In 1997, he was the recipient of a NASA Group Achievement Award for the Discovery of the Bursting Pulsar.
In 2003, he received the "2003 Everett Moore Baker Memorial Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching" award. Some of his lectures are available online in video format.
On May 5, 2011, he received the very first OCW Award for Excellence.
- Lewin, Walter; Goldstein, Warren, For the Love of Physics: From the End of the Rainbow to the Edge of Time - A Journey Through the Wonders of Physics, Simon and Schuster, 2011. ISBN 978-1-4391-0827-7 (available in English, German, Dutch, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Russian and Italian)
- Lewin, Walter; van der Klis, Michiel (editors), Compact stellar X-ray sources, Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2006. ISBN 978-0-521-82659-4
- Lewin, Walter H.G.; van Paradijs, Jan; van den Heuvel, Edward P.J., (editors), X-ray binaries, Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 1995. ISBN 0-521-41684-1
- Truemper, J.; Lewin, W.H.G.; Brinkmann, W., (editors), The evolution of galactic X-ray binaries, Dordrecht, Holland ; Boston : D. Reidel Pub. Co.; Hingham, MA : Sold and distributed in the U.S.A. and Canada by Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1986. ISBN 90-277-2184-X
- Walter H.G. Lewin and Edward van den Heuvel. Accretion-driven stellar X-ray sources, Eds. Cambridge University Press, 1983. ISBN 0 521 24521 4
For about 15 years (starting in 1982) Lewin was on MIT Cable TV, with every week a different 1-hour program. They were aired 24 hours per day helping freshmen with their weekly homework assignments (they were called "Help Sessions"). Walter Lewin's 1992 lectures on Newtonian Mechanics (co-lectured with Bob Ledoux) and Lewin's "Help Sessions" have been shown for over six years (starting in 1995) on UWTV in Seattle, WA, reaching an audience of about four million people. Lewin personally responded to thousands of e-mail requests that he received per year from UWTV viewers. Videos of Lewin's 94 lectures on Newtonian Mechanics (1999), Electricity and Magnetism (2002) and the Physics of Vibrations and Waves (2004), among others, can be viewed on the MIT OpenCourseWare web site, on YouTube, on iTunes and on Earth Academic.
On May 16, 2011, he gave a very Special Lecture at MIT for 700 people called "For the Love of Physics". After this lecture, there was a book signing of his new book called: (with co-author of his book Warren Goldstein) "For the Love of Physics". Dr. Walter Lewin's physics lectures are now viewed by about 2 million people yearly. In December of the year 2007 The New York Times featured Lewin on the front page with the heading: "At 71, Physics Professor is Web Star".
A compilation of Dr. Walter Lewin drawing dashed lines on chalk boards during lectures at MIT has become a viral video.
on October 26, 2011, Lewin gave a lecture in Delft, the Netherlands, titled "Rainbows, Blue Skies and White Clouds"
The Lecture "The Birth and Death of Stars" Dr. Lewin gave in Barcelona on Febr. 15, 2012.
On October 9, 2012 Lewin gave a colloquium at MIT "the Pioneering Decade of X-ray Astronomy". It will soon be added to MIT TECH TV.
On Nov 26, 2012 Lewin gave a talk in Dutch for 1000 high school students in Delft, the Netherlands. This was the first time in 50 years that he gave a talk in Dutch. Surprisingly, the language was not a problem at all.
During the summer of 2012 Lewiin gave 8 lectures at MIT for the general public in Japan. They are shown in Japan by NHK TV. These lectures will go on line (English version) in 2014. NHK, who paid for these lectures, has the sole rights for one year.
Lewin is presently converting 3 of his lecture courses into MITx courses. People who pass "x" courses will get a certificate from MIT. Lewin's course on Electricity and Magnetism went on line in February 2013. Newtonian Mechanics will go on line in September 2013, and the Physics of Vibrations and Waves will probably go on line in February 2014.
edX Courses 
Classes on MIT OpenCourseWare 
- OpenCourseWare: 8.01 Newtonian Mechanics
- OpenCourseWare: 8.02 Electricity & Magnetism
- OpenCourseWare: 8.03 Vibrations and Waves
List of MIT Videos 
- For the Love of Physics"
- How to Make Teaching Come Alive"
- Polarization: Lightwaves, Rainbows, and Cheap Sunglasses"
- The Birth and Death of Stars"
- The Sounds of Music"
- The Mystery of Light"
- The Wonders of Electricity and Magnetism"
- Looking at 20th Century Art through the Eyes of a Physicist"
The following 8 lectures were for the general public - some were even for kids (and parents). They can be viewed in MIT Tech TV.
- How to Make Teaching Come Alive? - for middle school science teachers
- Polarization, Rainbows and Cheap Sunglasses - for kids & parents
- The Birth and Death of Stars - for a general audience
- The Sounds of Music - for kids & their parents.
- The Mystery of Light - for high school students & science teachers
- The Wonders of Electricity and Magnetism - for kids & their parents
- Looking at 20th Century Art Through the Eyes of a Physicist
- For the Love of Physics May 16, 2011.
TV Performances 
- 1998 A Science Odyssey, WGBH, Boston, Produced by PBS
- 2003, The Elegant Universe, NOVA, Produced by PBS
- 2005, Einstein's Unfinished Symphony, BBC
- 2011, The Fabric of the Cosmos, NOVA, Produced by PBS
- 2011, "De Wereld Draait Door" VARA, the Netherlands, Oct 24
- 2012 "De Wereld Draait Door", VARA, the Netherlands, May 9
- 2012 "De Wereld Draait Door", VARA, the Netherlands, May 9 part II
- 2012 "De Wereld Draait Door" VARA, the Netherlands, November 27
- 2013 January–February, 8 one-hour lectures, TV NHK, Japan.
- The Guardian - Sept 10, 2007
- The Washington Post - Oct 31, 2007
- Washington Post - November 4, 2007
- The Gazette - Nov 18, 2007
- New York Times - Dec 19, 2007
- International Herald Tribune - Dec 19, 2007
- CBS News - Dec 20, 2007
- Wired Science - December 20, 2007
- UK - Guardian - Dec 20, 2007
- Germany - Dec 21, 2007
- Italy - Dec 22, 2007
- Sweden - Svenska Dagbladet - Dec 23, 2007
- New York Times - Dec 31, 2007
- Boston Globe - Jan 2, 2008
- U.S. News & World Report - Volume 144, Number 2, Jan 10, 2008
- Greece - Jan 13, 2008
- MIT's Tech Talk - January 16, 2008
- Guardian - January 22, 2008
- Spain - Publico - January 29–30, 2008
- TV - Riz Khan Show - Al Jazeera - January 31, 2008
- Science Metropolis - Febr 28, 2008
- Poland Przekroju - March 5, 2008
- MIT's TechTalk March 5, 2008
- Yahoo - video - March 11, 2008
- Columbia Chronicle - April 7, 2008
- Alteridade - April 28, 2008
- Zeit Online - May 8, 2008
- Martha Stewart Show - May 14, 2008
- Brazil VEJA magazine
- Observer Magazine (UK)
- Australia (interview 2/13 Robyn Williams)
- Al-Arabi (Arabic newspaper - interview 2/19)
- Positive Thinking Magazine - May/June 2008 issue
- Oprah "0" magazine, September 2008 issue
- NY Times, September 21, 2008
- MIT Press Release, October 9, 2008
- UniStandard, Austrian Newspaper - October 2008, page 18.
- The Brown Daily Herald - October 22, 2008
- TechTalk - December 17, 2008
- Time Magazine, April 27, 2009, page 44
- "A Few of Our Favorites. These lecturers engage and entertain", November, 2009, Wired Magazine
- Weekblad van de Technische Universiteit Delft - May 27, 2010
- Sunday, November 28, 2010
- New York Times, January 13, 2011.
- US Airways - April, 2011
- OCW Award May 5, 2011
- Boston Globe - May 15, 2011
- May 16, 2011 at MIT - "For the Love of Physics", special lecture with book signing!
- MIT News May 18, 2011
- Education-Portal.com - May 2011
- MIT Tech, June 3, 2011
- For the Love of Physics
- Los Angeles Times, July 3, 2011
- July 2011, #47, Voltreffer (Monthly) published by the Libanon Lyceum in Rotterdam, where he taught physics five years (1960-1965).
- De Oud Hagenaar, July 26, 2011, year 3, Vol. 5
- Christian Science Monitor, July 27, 2011
- Talk Radio Network - 45 minute Interview with Professor Michio Kaku. Sept. 7, 2011
- October 24, 2011, De Wereld Draait Door, Dutch TV
- October 26, 2011, Hart Van Nederland TV
- TU Delft, Nov 18, 2011
- Delft Intergraal, December 2011
- January 20, 2012, German Review of "For the Love of Physics" ("Es Funktioniert")
- Febr 2, 2012 1 hour 50 min interview at MIT - Related to the fact that MIT was founded 150 years ago.
- Interviews - Febr 14, 2012 in Barcelona, Spain
- EFE Agency
- La Vanguardia/La Contra - Most important Newspaper in Catalonia
- El Mundo Daily - 2nd main Spanish paper
- El Pais - this is the First Spanish Newspaper
- ABC Daily National Newspaper - 3rd main paper in Spain
- Interviews - Febr 15, 2012 in Spain
- meeting with 6 bloggers.
- Febr 15, 2012, Museum of Science in Barcelona, Spain. "The Birth and Death of Stars"
- NEWSPAPER ARTICLES IN SPAIN Febr 15-17, 2012.
- March/April, 2012 issue of MIT's Technology Review, The Professor Who Brings Physics to Life
- March 6, 2012, Review by Bill Gates of my book "For the Love of Physics"
- April 3, 2012, he was named one of the Best 300 Professors
- May 9, 2012
- May 9, 2012 his 2nd demo
- May 12, 2012, Large Interview - Nieuwe Rotterdamse Courant, NRC, the Netherlands, pages 24–25
- May 12, 2012, Article in the Volkskrant (The Netherlands)
- May 28, 2012 - Spanish Newspaper
- May 28, 2012 - Spanish Fantasymundo
- June 2012 issue, Interview in Quest (The Netherlands)
- July 4, 2012 Interview/docbrumentary, "WaraKora" Nippon TV network in Japan
- July 5, 2012, Scientific Reports nature.com
- July 11, 2012, The Tech (MIT). Recommended by Bill Gates
- July 21, 2012
- July 27, 2012
- August 2012 issue, Nederlandse Tijdschrift voor Natuurkunde
- August 8, 2012
- Mid August 2012. Interview in "Know How" (Dutch Magazine 3rd edition, time of release mid August
- August 17, 2012, Radio 1 The Netherlands 3:50-4 PM (Boston time)
- August 30, 2012, Blindwrolds
- November 21, 2012, Interview - Daily Newspaper The Asahi Shimbun, author: Shiro Namekata, published in December 2012
- November 26, 2012, Delt's Studenten Blad
- November 27, 2012, TV Performance in Holland on "De Wereld Draait Door" Viewed by 1.5 million people
- 8 lectures on NHK TV in Japan, taped at MIT June/July-2012, Jan-March 2013 on TV in Japan
- Excellent Long Interview, Jan 4, 2013, Nijmeegs Studentenblad
- Jan 20, 2013 Japanese Newspaper
- Jan 20? 2013 Japan
- Jan 22, 2013 UK Magazine - University of Groningen - Interview.
- Jan 24, 2013 Interview with Harvard Crimson
- Jan 30, 2013 Interview with Euronews TV. Anna Bressanin of the BBC interviewed him.
- Febr 1, 2013 Interview with USA Today
- Feb. 7-13, 2013 The Times Higher Education, London, England, p. 18-19
Selected publications 
Professor Lewin has published about 450 scientific articles, below are a selected few.
- Lewin, Walter H.G.; Jan van Paradijs, Ronald E. Taam (204-10-27). "X-ray Bursts". Space Science Reviews 62 (3-4): 223–389. Bibcode:1993SSRv...62..223L. doi:10.1007/BF00196124.
- D. Pooley, W.H.G. Lewin, S.F. Anderson, H. Baumgardt, A.V. Filippenko, B.M. Gaensler, L. Homer, P. Hut, V.M. Kaspi, B. Margon, S. McMillan, S. Portegies Zwart, M. van der Klis, & F. Verbunt (2003). "Dynamical Formation of Close Binary Systems in Globular Clusters". Astrophysical Journal 591 (2): L131–L134. arXiv:astro-ph/0305003. Bibcode:2003ApJ...591L.131P. doi:10.1086/377074.
- J. Miller, A. Fabian, R. Wijnands, R. Remillard, P. Wojdowski, N. Schulz, T. Di Matteo, H. Marshall, C. Canizares, & W. Lewin (2002). "Resolving the Composite Fe K-alpha Emission Line in the Galactic Black Hole Cygnus X-1 with Chandra". Astrophysical Journal 578: 348–356. arXiv:astro-ph/0202083. Bibcode:2002ApJ...578..348M. doi:10.1086/342466.
- D. Pooley, W. Lewin, L. Homer, S. Anderson, B. Gaensler, B. Margon, F. Verbunt, J. Miller, D. Fox, V. Kaspi & M. v.d. Klis (2002). "Optical Identifications of Multiple Faint X-ray Sources in the Globular Cluster NGC~6752: Evidence for Numerous Cataclysmic Variables". Astrophysical Journal 569: 405. arXiv:astro-ph/0110192. Bibcode:2002ApJ...569..405P. doi:10.1086/339210.
- C. Kouveliotou, J. van Paradijs, G. J. Fishman, M. S. Briggs, J. Kommers, B. A. Harmon, C. A. Meegan, W. H. G. Lewin (1996). "Discovery of a New Type of Burster from the Galactic Center Region". Nature 379 (6568): 799. Bibcode:1996Natur.379..799K. doi:10.1038/379799a0.
- M. v.d. Klis, J. Swank, W. Zhang, K. Jahoda, E. Morgan, W. Lewin, B. Vaughan, & J. van Paradijs (1996). "Discovery of Sub millisecond Quasi-periodic Oscillations in the X-ray Flux of Scorpius X-1". Astrophysical Journal 469: L1. arXiv:astro-ph/9607047. Bibcode:1996ApJ...469L...1V. doi:10.1086/310251.
- W.H.G. Lewin, G.W. Clark and W.B. Smith (1968). "Observation of an X-Ray Flare from Sco X-1". Astrophysical Journal (Letters) 152: L55. Bibcode:1968ApJ...152L..55L. doi:10.1086/180177.
See also 
- Instructor Profile: Walter Lewin at MIT OpenCourseWare (archived 2009)
- "1971ApJ...169L..17L Page L17". Adsabs.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "1970ApJ...162L.109L Page L109". Adsabs.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "ESA Science & Technology: X-ray light curve of the Rapid Burster in a very active Type II burst state". Sci.esa.int. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Quasi-periodic oscillations in low-mass X ray binaries". Adsabs.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "[astro-ph/0105344] My Quarter Century with Jan van Paradijs". Xxx.lanl.gov. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "SN 1989S – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia" (in (Polish)). Pl.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "MIT TechTV – Inaugural Awards for OpenCourseWare Excellence". Techtv.mit.edu. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "MIT Department of Physics". Web.mit.edu. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Mediasite Player Loading". Collegerama.tudelft.nl. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "NHK MIT白熱教室 番組概要". Nhk.or.jp. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "About 8.02x". Edx.org. 2013-02-18. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Natuurkundige Walter Lewin, Diederik Jekel - 24-10-2011 - Uitzending Gemist". De Wereld Draait Door. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Walter Lewin - 9-5-2012 - Uitzending Gemist". De Wereld Draait Door. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Extra proef (2): Walter Lewin - 9-5-2012 - Uitzending Gemist". De Wereld Draait Door. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Walter Lewin - Wet van behoud lading - 27-11-2012 - Uitzending Gemist". De Wereld Draait Door. 2012-11-27. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Maxton Walker (2007-09-10). "Maxton Walker on iTunes university | World news". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Is iTunes U for You?". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "How to take a course at MIT free - at home - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. 2007-11-18. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Rimer, Sara (December 19, 2007). "At 71, Professor Is a Pendulum and a Web Star". The New York Times. p. 1. Retrieved April 20, 2013.
- Clark, Melissa. "The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia". International Herald Tribune. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Meet YouTube's Physics Prof - CBS News Video". Cbsnews.com. 2007-12-20. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Rowe, Aaron (2007-12-20). "Lecture Videos by an Amazing MIT Physics Professor | Wired Science". Wired.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Dan Glaister in Los Angeles. "Top of the iTunes chart: meet the professor who's making physics cool | Technology". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Che fisico questo professore! Corriere della Sera". Corriere.it. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "A star in the classroom - The Boston Globe". Boston.com. 2008-01-02. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "A New Physics Superstar - US News and World Report". Usnews.com. 2008-01-10. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- January 16, 2008 (2008-01-16). "Lewin's popularity extends to news media - MIT News Office". Web.mit.edu. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Joanna Moorhead and Ravi Somaiya. "Crib sheet | Education | The Guardian". Education.guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "«Quiero morir en una clase» - Público.es". Publico.es. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- (pages 38 and 39)
- [dead link]
- "Riz Khan - Walter Lewin & physics - 31 Jan 08". YouTube. 2008-02-01. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "OpenFiction [ Blog ] » Walter Lewin on Al Jezeera". Tofp.org. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "MIT physicists bask in the media limelight - MIT News Office". Web.mit.edu. 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Yahoo! News - Latest News & Headlines". Potw.news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- [dead link]
- ZEIT ONLINE GmbH, Hamburg, Germany (2008-05-14). "Lehre: Vibration und Welle | Wissen | ZEIT ONLINE". Zeit.de. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Newton's Third Law of Motion - Martha Stewart Crafts". Marthastewart.com. 2008-05-14. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- [dead link]
- "Wired 11.09: MIT Everyware". Wired.com. 2003-06-30. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- [dead link]
- A.A. Karim (2010-11-28). "One Stop Learning: Aspiring to be like Walter Lewin". Onestoplearning.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- By AUDREY WATTERS of ReadWriteWeb (2011-01-12). "New MIT OpenCourseWare Initiative Aims to Improve Independent Online Learning". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Interactive Author Programs | Washington, DC | Home". Hooks Book Events. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Pace Communications. "US Airways Magazine". Usairwaysmag.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- [dead link]
- "Walter Lewin lecture at MIT - FOR THE LOVE OF PHYSICS, Walter Lewin lecture at MIT - FOR THE LOVE OF PHYSICS simonschuster on USTREAM. Educatief". Ustream.tv. 2011-05-16. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "A labor of love - MIT News Office". Web.mit.edu. 2011-05-18. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Dr. Walter Lewin of MIT Talks About Opening Courses Before OCW". Eduport.al. 2011-05-23. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Photo - Volume 131, Issue 27 - The Tech". Tech.mit.edu. 2011-06-03. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Name (required) (2011-06-20). "For The Love Of Physics « Unknown Blogger Pursues a Deranged Quest for Normalcy". Ubpdqn.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Lippincott, Sara (2011-07-03). "'For the Love of Physics': Book review". latimes.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Gregory M. Lamb. "Walter Lewin is 'hands on' helping students grasp physics". CSMonitor.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Best Colleges Online. "The 10 Absolute Coolest College Professors". Best Colleges Online. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "A professor without boundaries - TU Delta - Weekblad van de Technische Universiteit Delft". Delta.tudelft.nl. 2013-04-15. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Vorige artikelVolgende artikel (2011-10-26). "Natuurkundelegende geeft gastcollege – Hart van Nederland". Hartvannederland.nl. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Walter’s wonderful world - TU Delta - Weekblad van de Technische Universiteit Delft". Delta.tudelft.nl. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Liebeserklärung eines Forschers". Spektrum.de. 2012-01-24. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Interview with Professor Walter Lewin – The Physics Magician". Tivate.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Infinite History | MIT150 | Massachusetts Institute of Technology 150th anniversary". Mit150.mit.edu. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- * www.amazings.es
- "In English". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "'Puedo hacer que cualquiera se enamore de la Física' | Barcelona". elmundo.es. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Walter Lewin: "Aburrir con una clase de Física es un crimen" – Ciencias (general) – Noticias, última hora, vídeos y fotos de Ciencias (general) en lainformacion.com". Noticias.lainformacion.com. 2013-02-01. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Fotos: Noticias de España, Mundo, Ciencia, Tecnología, Sucesos y más - Terra España". Noticias.terra.es. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- 00-0000-000000000001&fecha=20%2F02%2F2012&idioma=0&doc_id=c08af552-1eb4-4d79-bde 2-a41d1645034c
- "El físico Walter Lewin seducea sus seguidores españoles - Sociedad - El Periódico Extremadura". Elperiodicoextremadura.com. 2012-02-20. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Ciencia explicada". Ciencia explicada. 2010-06-08. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Top Stories (2013-02-20). "MIT News: March/April 2013 | MIT Technology Review". Technologyreview.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "For the Love of Physics - Book Review by Bill Gates". Thegatesnotes.com. 2012-03-06. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- 0.00 (2011-03-30). "The Adventures of Walter Lewin by JoseArbeloMusic on SoundCloud - Hear the worldâ€™s sounds". Soundcloud.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- [dead link]
- "Critica: Por amor a la física, de Walter Lewin - ciencia - Fisicaastronomia". Fantasymundo.com. 2012-05-28. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Lewin LIVE! Physics superstar comes out of retirement for Japanese TV : Boston Blog". Blogs.nature.com. 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Bill Gates Summer Reading Bookshelf". Thegatesnotes.com. 2009-09-18. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Caroline Kraaijvanger. "Recensie: Gek op natuurkunde". Scientias.nl. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Walter Lewin - Spreker - Speakers Academy®". Speakersacademy.nl. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Walter Lewin: “Mis clases de física son obras de arte”". Revistaenie.clarin.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "Texto publicado por Miguel de Portugalete". Blindworlds.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "NHK MIT白熱教室". Nhk.or.jp. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "'Niet iedereen is een Walter Lewin' « ANS-Online". Ans-online.nl. 2013-01-04. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- The Asahi Shimbun Company (2013-01-21). "朝日新聞デジタル：（ひと）ウォルター ルーウィンさん ６千人が授業を見るマサチューセッツ工科大教授 - ニュース". Asahi.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- The Asahi Shimbun Company (2013-04-01). "朝日新聞デジタル：会員登録のご案内". Digital.asahi.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- [dead link]
- "uk-magazine januari 2013". Issuu.com. 2013-01-21. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- "latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand". euronews. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
Further reading 
- Clark, Kim (2008-01-10). "A New Physics Superstar". US News and World Report. Retrieved 2009-01-08.
- Rimer, Sara (2007-12-19). "At 71, Physics Professor Is a Web Star". The New York Times. Retrieved 2007-12-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Walter Lewin|
- Walter Lewin's page at MIT
- MIT Physics Department website
- Walter Lewin's Physics I Course Page with Video Lectures
- Walter Lewin's Physics II Course Page with Video Lectures
- Walter Lewin's Physics III Course Page with Video Lectures
- WalterLewin's Physics I Course on iTunes U (needs iTunes)
- WalterLewin's Physics II Course on iTunesU (needs iTunes)
- WalterLewin's Physics III Course on iTunesU (needs iTunes)
- The Elegant Universe PBS Video featuring Walter Lewin
- Walter Lewin Playlist Appearance on WMBR's Dinnertime Sampler radio show February 4, 2004
- MIT lecturers top the iTunes U top ten
- At 71, Physics Professor Is a Web Star
- A star in the classroom
- A New Physics Superstar