24 May 1957 
|Occupation||Author and artist|
Walter Moers (born 24 May 1957) is one of the best-known and commercially most successful German comic creators and authors.
Life and work
Walter Moers held odd jobs after leaving school before starting a commercial apprenticeship. He taught himself how to draw.
Moers has been publishing since 1984. He first became known for cartoon-like comics that were marked by an ironic view of the world and a conscious violation of political correctness. Many of his works first appeared in the satirical magazine Titanic. Although he doesn't contribute to the magazine anymore, he's still listed as contributor. His last work published in 'Titanic' was the Superhero-Parody 'Deadman' (not to be confused with the DC-Comics Superhero of the same name, Moers' character was just a dead man lying in a coffin for three pages without a word or any change in the pictures).
His best-known comic characters are:
- Das kleine Arschloch (The little arsehole), a precocious and irreverent little boy who constantly gets one over on the adults.
- Der alte Sack (The old curmudgeon), a terminally ill old man in a wheel chair who makes sarcastic comments on what he sees.
- Adolf, die Nazisau (Adolf, the Nazi pig), an absurd interpretation of Adolf Hitler in today's world.
In addition to these comics clearly intended for an adult audience, Moers also writes stories and books that he has been publishing since 1985. In 1988, his first "Käpt'n Blaubär" story was published, a character that has since been popular on TV, in books, and on audio cassettes. Recently, Moers also became famous for his novels, especially the Zamonia series.
Moers wrote both the script and the song lyrics for the movie Kleines Arschloch (1997) and the script for the movie Käpt'n Blaubär (1999).
Walter Moers avoids publicity and rarely gives interviews or allows himself to be photographed.
Works available in English translation
- The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear, 2000 (UK) / 2005 (US)
- A Wild Ride Through the Night, 2004
- Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures : a novel in two books, 2004
- The City of Dreaming Books, 2006. ISBN 0-436-20609-9
- The Alchemaster’s Apprentice, 2009 (English Edn). 978-1-846-55222-9
- The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books, 2012 (English Edn)
- Die Klerikalen, 1985 (comic)
- Aha!, 1985 (comic)
- Hey!, 1986 (comic)
- Das Tier (the animal), 1987 (story with pictures)
- Schweinewelt (pigs' world), 1987 (comic)
- Die Schimauski-Methode (the Schimauski method), 1987 (children's book)
- Herzlichen Glückwunsch (congratulations), 1985 (comic)
- Von ganzem Herzen (whole-heartedly), 1989 (comic)
- Kleines Arschloch (little asshole), 1990 (comic)
- Schöne Geschichten (beautiful stories), 1991 (comic)
- Das kleine Arschloch kehrt zurück (the little asshole returns), 1991 (comic)
- Schöner leben mit dem kleinen Arschloch (better living with the little asshole), 1992 (illustrated satires)
- Es ist ein Arschloch, Maria (it's an asshole, Mary), 1992 (comic)
- Der alte Sack, ein kleines Arschloch und andere Höhepunkte des Kapitalismus (the old curmudgeon, a little asshole and other pinnacles of capitalism), 1993 (comic)
- Arschloch in Öl (asshole in oil), 1993 (graphical parodies)
- Du bist ein Arschloch, mein Sohn (you're an asshole, son), 1995 (comic)
- Sex und Gewalt (sex and violence), 1995 (comic)
- Wenn der Pinguin zweimal klopft (the penguin always knocks twice), 1997 (comic)
- Kleines Arschloch – Der Film (little asshole – the movie), 1997 (movie: script and song lyrics)
- Adolf, 1998 (comic)
- Feuchte Träume (wet dreams), 1999 (comic)
- Adolf, Teil 2 (Adolf, part 2), 1999 (comic)
- Die 13½ Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär (The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear), 1999 (novel)
- Käpt'n Blaubär – Der Film (captain Bluebear – the movie), 1999 (movie: script; for children)
- Ensel und Krete (the plot of which is loosely based on "Hansel and Gretel"), 2000 (novel)
- Schwulxx-Comix (gay'xx comix), 2000 (comic, with Ralf König)
- Wilde Reise durch die Nacht (A Wild Ride Through the Night), 2001 (novel)
- Schamlos! (unashamedly!), 2001 (comics with additional material)
- Der Fönig (the Fing), 2002 (story with pictures about a King who always mixes up the letters "F" and "K")
- Rumo & Die Wunder im Dunkeln (Rumo : And His Miraculous Adventures), 2003 (novel)
- Die Stadt der Träumenden Bücher (The City of Dreaming Books), 2004 (novel)
- Adolf. Der Bonker (Adolf. The Bunker), 2005 (comic, the truth about Adolf Hitler's last days in the bunker)
- Das kleine Arschloch und der alte Sack - Sterben ist Scheiße (The little asshole and the old curmudgeon – To die is shit), 2006 (movie: script)
- Der Schrecksenmeister, (The Alchemaster's Apprentice) 2007 (novel)
- Das Labyrinth der Träumenden Bücher, (The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books), 2011 (novel)
- Das Schloss der Träumenden Bücher, (The Castle of Dreaming Books), 2014 (novel)
- Walter Moers - Goodreads, Walter Moers - Goodreads,