|President pro tempore
of the Senate of Virginia
January 12, 2012
|Preceded by||Charles J. Colgan|
|Member of the Virginia Senate
from the 12th district
January 8, 1992
|Preceded by||Edwina P. Dalton|
|Member of the Virginia House of Delegates
from the 73rd district
January 12, 1983 – January 8, 1992
|Preceded by||None (new district)|
|Succeeded by||Eric Cantor|
|Born||Walter Allen Stosch
August 18, 1936
Fredericksburg, Virginia, U.S.
|Children||David A. Stosch, Karen Stosch Watson|
|Residence||Henrico County, Virginia|
|Alma mater||University of Richmond|
|Profession||Certified Public Accountant|
|Committees||Commerce and Labor; General Laws and Technology; Finance|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1953–56|
Walter Allen Stosch (born August 18, 1936, in Fredericksburg, Virginia) is an American politician. He's the current Republican President Pro Tem of the Senate, he served in the Virginia House of Delegates 1983–92, after which he was elected to the Senate of Virginia. He was Majority leader 1998–2007, after which he was named Republican Leader Emeritus. He currently represents[update] the 12th district, made up of parts of Hanover and Henrico Counties.
Stosch was born and raised in the Northern Neck of Virginia. He served in the United States Army 1953–56, then attended the University of Richmond, where he received a B.S. degree in accounting in 1959. He passed the Certified Public Accountant exam and began practice in Richmond. In 1984, he received an MBA degree from the same school. He was also an adjunct professor at both Richmond and Virginia Commonwealth University.
He married Eleanor Herbert. They had two children, David and Karen, and four grandchildren, Sarah Stosch Stewart, Ashley Watson, Kelly Stosch and Brian Watson.
- Senate of Virginia bio
- "Biography". Virginia State Senator Walter Stosch. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- "Senator Walter A. Stosch; Republican Leader Emeritus; Republican - District 12". Senate of Virginia.
- "Virginia State Senator Walter Stosch". (Constituent/campaign website)
- "Past member search; Walter Stosch". Virginia House of Delegates.
- "Senator Walter Stosch (R-Glen Allen)". Richmond Sunlight.
- "Walter A Stosch". Virginia Public Access Project.
- "Election Results". Virginia State Board of Elections.
- Project Vote Smart - Senator Walter A. Stosch (VA) profile
- Follow the Money - Walter A Stosch
- Washington Post - Senate District 12 Race
|This article about a Virginia State Senator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|