February 23, 1953
Hartford, Connecticut, U.S.
|Occupation||Author, Artist and Photographer|
Walter Wick (born February 23, 1953) is an American artist and photographer best known for the elaborate images in two series of publications, the I Spy and the Can You See What I See? books, which were published by Scholastic Books.
Wick was born in Hartford, Connecticut and attended the Paier College of Art. After school he embarked on a career as a commercial photographer and eventually shifted to photo-illustration for books and magazines. He contributed to Scholastic's Let's Find Out and Super Science series and photographed hundreds of mass-market magazine covers. He also created photographic puzzles for Games magazine.
In 1991 Wick began a collaboration with writer Jean Marzollo on the enormously successful I Spy search-and-find picture books. Eight original titles were produced and millions of copies sold.
Wick has received the Boston Globe-Horn Book first prize for non-fiction and had his book Walter Wick's Optical Tricks named one of the year's "best illustrated books" by The New York Times. In 2003 Wick and his wife purchased an abandoned 1920 firehouse from the city of Hartford and renovated the building to become a new studio for his artwork. In 2009 Wick had a collection of his work, Walter Wick: Games, Gizmos, and Toys in the Attic, exhibited at the Brigham Young University Museum of Art.
The following is a partial list of Walter Wick books:
- I Spy: A Book of Picture Riddles (1992)
- I Spy: Christmas (1992)
- I Spy: Fun House (1993)
- I Spy: Mystery (1993)
- I Spy: Fantasy (1994)
- I Spy: School Days (1995)
- I Spy: Spooky Night (1996)
- A Drop of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder (1997)
- Walter Wick's Optical Tricks (1998)
- I Spy: Treasure Hunt (1999)
- Can You See What I See?: Picture Puzzles to Search and Solve (2002)
- Can You See What I See?: Dream Machine (2003)
- Can You See What I See?: Cool Collections (2004)
- Can You See What I See?: The Night Before Christmas (2005)
- Can You See What I See?: Once Upon A Time (2006)
- Can You See What I See?: On A Scary Scary Night (2008)
- Can You See What I See?: Treasure Ship (2010)
- Can You See What I See?: Toyland Express (2011)
- Can You See What I See?: Out Of This World (2013)
- "About the author" information, I Spy Fun House: A Book of Picture Riddles by Walter Wick and Jean Marzollo, New York, Scholastic, 1993, p. 37.
- "Artist's Statement" Walter Wick: Games, Gizmos, and Toys in the Attic by Walter Wick, Brigham Young University, 2009.