Waltham (MBTA station)
Outbound platform viewed from Moody Street
|Address||75 Carter Street
Waltham, MA 02453-5312
|Connections|| MBTA Bus: 70, 70A, 170, 505, 553, 554, 556, 558
128BC Waltham Shuttle
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Tracks||1 (splits into 2 at station)|
|Parking||50 spaces ($1.00 fee)
4 accessible spaces
|Bicycle facilities||8 spaces|
|Passengers (2013)||610 (weekday inbound average)|
Waltham is a passenger rail station on MBTA Commuter Rail's Fitchburg Line.It is located in downtown Waltham, Massachusetts adjacent to Central Square (Waltham Common). With 610 inbound boardings on an average weekday, it has the second highest ridership on the line (behind South Acton)
History and Operations
The station has an unusual configuration, similar to Lincoln. There are 2 side platforms separated by Moody Street: the eastern platform is used for inbound passengers, and the western platform is used for outbound passengers. Most of the station is located on a short single-track section; after double tracking is completed from South Acton to Willows in 2014, it will be the only single-track section of the Fitchburg Line.
Commuter rail service to Waltham station has remained relatively constant since the MBTA was formed in 1964. However, several nearby stops on the Fitchburg Line and the Central Mass Branch were closed in the early years of the MBTA. The 1881-built Central Mass station building at Waltham Highlands, located at Hammond Street and Elson Road, still stands.
The former depot building, which included a large clocktower, was torn down in the 1960s. The current building adjacent to the inbound platform is of modern construction. The Waltham Interlocking Tower is located next to Elm Street; it controlled the junction with the Watertown Branch Railroad which operated passenger service until 1938.
- 70 Cedarwood or Central Square, Waltham - University Park via Watertown Square, Arsenal Street & Western Avenue
- 70A North Waltham - University Park via Watertown Square and Central Square, Cambridge
- 170 Central Square, Waltham - Dudley Square
- 505 Central Square, Waltham - Downtown via Moody Street & Massachusetts Turnpike
- 553 Roberts - Downtown Boston via Newton Corner & Central Square, Waltham
- 554 Waverly Square - Downtown Boston via Newton Corner, Central Square, Waltham & Bentley College
- 556 Waltham Highlands - Downtown Boston via Newton Corner & Central Square, Waltham & Newtonville
- 558 Riverside - Downtown Boston via Newton Corner & Turnpike
- 128BC Waltham Shuttle, provides rush hour service to nearby businesses.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (PDF) (14 ed.). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Belcher, Jonathan (12 November 2012). "Changes to Transit Service in the MBTA district" (PDF). NETransit. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- Roy, John H. Jr. (2007). A Field Guide to Southern New England Railroad Depots and Freight Houses. Branch Line Press. p. 254. ISBN 9780942147087.
- "Waltham Shuttle". Route 128 Business Council. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Waltham (MBTA station).|