|District||Kampala Capital City Authority|
|Division||Kampala Central Division|
|Elevation||1,200 m (3,900 ft)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Wandegeya is a neighborhood within the city of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest metropolitan area.The name is derived from the weaver birds, (Endegeya in Luganda), which used to inhabit the area prior to the 1990s.
Wandegeya lies in Kawempe Division, one of the five administrative divisions of Kampala. It is bordered by the Bombo Road/Gayaza Road Roundabout to the north, Mulago Hill to the northeast, Kamwookya to the east, Nakasero Hill to the south east and to the south, and the main campus of Makerere University to the west and northwest. This location is approximately 2.5 kilometres (1.6 mi), by road, north of Kampala's central business district. The coordinates of Wandegeya are:0°19'52.0"N, 32°34'25.0"E (Latitude:0.331112; Longitude:32.573600).
Wandegeya can be divided into three main sections:
- (a) Area A
- The area east of Bombo Road, but south of Haji Musa Kasule Road. This is part of Nakasero Hill, Kampala's most upscale residential and commercial address. This area contains the government ministries, the diplomatic missions and the police station.
- (b) Area B
- The area bounded by Bombo Road to the east, Makerere Hill Road to the south and Jjunju Road to the west and north. This is predominantly a commercial area. It houses the newly constructed Wandegeya Market, numerous shops along Bombo Road and along Makerere Hill Road, as well as a number of restaurants with local and International cuisines. However there are several high-rise apartment buildings and some lower class rental units in this section. The Wandegeya Mosque is also located in this area.
- (c) Area C
- The area bounded by Haji Musa Kasule Road to the south, Bombo Road to the west and Yusuf Lule Road to the east. Prior to the 1990s this area was largely a slum. As the number of students admitted to Makerere University increased, investors began to tear down the slum housing and erected high-rise student hostels in the area. Today, respectable businesses such as the Wandegeya Post Office, several commercial banks and an office of the Salvation Army, have relocated into the area.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are located in or near Wandegeya:
- The offices and facilities of the Kampala YMCA
- Wandegeya Post Office
- Wandegeya Police Station - A station of the Uganda National Police
- A branch of Bank of Africa
- A branch of Barclays Bank
- A branch of Diamond Trust Bank
- A branch of Equity Bank
- A branch of PostBank Uganda
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of Ecobank
- A branch of Pride Microfinance Limited - A Tier III Financial Institution
- Wandegeya Farmers Market
- Wandegeya Mosque - A place of worship affiliated with the Islamic faith
- Akamwesi Hostel - A private students' hostel
- Baeto Girls Hostel - A private students' hostel
- JB Girls Hostel - A private students' hostel
- Taibah Hostel - A private students' hostel
- The headquarters of the Uganda Ministry of Public Service
- The offices of the Uganda National Council for Science and Technology
- The Mission of the Food and Agricultural Organization in Uganda
- The Uganda Ministry of Health Headquarters.
- The College Inn - A private 46-room motel located on the west bank of Bombo Road
- The offices of the Uganda Government Analytical Chemist
- "Map Showing Central Kampala And Wandegeya With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Wandegeya At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- Nanyonjo, Aidah (11 March 2005). "Housing Finance To Resume Loans To NHCC Flat Buyers". New Vision. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- Osere, Emojong (7 March 2010). "Bank of Uganda Urges Banks To Go Rural". New Vision. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- Bwambale, Taddeo (16 January 2014). "Wandegeya Market Opens On January 24, 2014". New Vision. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- Ariko, Charles (28 December 2005). "Government Buys DNA Machine". New Vision. Retrieved 18 June 2014.