War of 1812 Bicentennial
The War of 1812 Bicentennial is a series of planned events to commemorate the War of 1812 in Canada and the United States during the war's bicentenary, 2012-2015. Included here is a list of planned commemorations and organizations.
The Canadian Government is marking the bi-centennial as a national event
Currently the U.S. Government has no formal organization or committee to coordinate commemorations of the War of 1812; the War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission Act failed to pass Congress in 2006.
U.S. Military commemorations
- U.S. Navy Commemoration of the Bicentennial of the War of 1812 and the Star-Spangled Banner: ourflagwasstillthere.org
- Naval History and Heritage Command: history.navy.mil
- Preserve the Pensions! (A project to digitize all of the War of 1812 pension files by the end of the war's bicentennial)
In 2011, New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo vetoed a bill to establish a formal War Of 1812 Bicentennial Commission. Previous versions of the bill were vetoed repeatedly by Gov. David Paterson in 2009 and 2010.
- S. 959:Star-Spangled Banner and War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission Act, GovTrack, http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s109-959
- Barclay: Cuomo Should Have Signed War of 1812 Anniversary Commission Legislation, newzjunky.com, http://www.newzjunky.com/news/0927barclay_1812.htm
- Paterson Vetoes Creating War Of 1812 Bicentennial Commission, Albany Project, http://www.thealbanyproject.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=7018
- Governor says War of 1812 commission should have been funded in the budget , Syracuse Post-Standard, http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/oswego_loses_again_with_govern.html