War of 1812 Bicentennial
The War of 1812 Bicentennial is a series of planned events to commemorate the War of 1812 in Canada and the United States during the war's bicentenary, 2012-2015. Included here is a list of planned commemorations and organizations.
- 1 Canada
- 2 United States
- 3 References
- 4 External links
The Canadian Government marked the bicentennial as a national event.
The U.S. government has had no formal organization or committee to coordinate commemorations of the War of 1812; the War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission Act failed to pass Congress in 2006.
U.S. military commemorations
- U.S. Navy Commemoration of the Bicentennial of the War of 1812 and the Star-Spangled Banner
- Naval History and Heritage Command
- Preserve the Pensions![dead link] (A project to digitize all of the War of 1812 pension files by the end of the war's bicentennial)
- Commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the Battle of New Orleans (January 8, 2015)
In 2011, New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo vetoed a bill to establish a formal War Of 1812 Bicentennial Commission. Previous versions of the bill were vetoed repeatedly by Gov. David Paterson in 2009[dead link] and 2010.
- James Madison Center War of 1812 Bicentennial[dead link]
- Virginia Bicentennial of the War of 1812 Commission[dead link]
- S. 959:Star-Spangled Banner and War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission Act, GovTrack, http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s109-959
- Barclay: Cuomo Should Have Signed War of 1812 Anniversary Commission Legislation, newzjunky.com, http://www.newzjunky.com/news/0927barclay_1812.htm
- Paterson Vetoes Creating War Of 1812 Bicentennial Commission, Albany Project, http://www.thealbanyproject.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=7018
- Governor says War of 1812 commission should have been funded in the budget , Syracuse Post-Standard, http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/oswego_loses_again_with_govern.html