War of Ages (Serenity album)
|War of Ages|
|Studio album by Serenity|
|Released||22 March 2013|
Symphonic Power Metal
|Producer||Oliver Philipps, Jan Vacik, Thomas Buchberger and Georg Neuhauser|
War of Ages is the fourth full-length studio album by Austrian symphonic metal band Serenity. The album was released on March 22, 2013 in Europe and sometime in March or April in North America and Asia, via Napalm Records.
War of Ages continues to show Serenity perfecting their symphonic metal music and still keeping true to their power metal root. It also marks the first album with an additional singer, Clémentine Delauney.
The album itself focuses on historical figures and events, just as it's predecessor Death & Legacy had done, keeping true to Serenity's historical concept. Characters stories, such as Beethoven, Napoleon, and others have their tales told through Serenity's words and melodic tone.
The artwork cover for War of Ages was created by Seth Siro Anton and band pictures were shot by Francesco Sogaro, based on a concept by Serenity.
War of Ages is the first Serenity album with an additional singer. Clémentine Delauney, who joined the band officially on January 21, 2013. makes here Serenity debut with soaring vocals, adding a very melodic counterpart to long time Serenity front man Georg Neuhauser. The band says: "While staying true to all Serenity trademarks such as symphonic orchestras, heavy rhythms, amazing melodic vocals and bombastic choirs, we also brought in some new elements in form of various new sounds in the Serenity universe and a constant implementation of female vocals supporting outstanding singer Georg Neuhauser."
Announcement for official release of the album came via the band's website, stating, "While staying true to all Serenity trademarks such as symphonic orchestras, heavy rhythms, amazing melodic vocals & bombastic choirs we also brought in some new elements in form of various new sounds in the Serenity universe and a constant implementation of female vocals supporting outstanding singer Georg Neuhauser.
The artwork cover for War of Ages was created by Seth Siro Anton, who previously worked with Serenity on their debut album Words Untold & Dreams Unlived. The release was mixed and mastered by Jan Vacik at Dreamsound Studios in München, Germany, with orchestrations and music arrangements done by Oliver Philipps. Both are veterans of previous Serenity albums.
- 'Wings of Madness' - Elizabeth Báthory, "The Blood Countess" and her atrocities.
- 'The Art of War' - Napoleon Bonaparte and his mastery of warfare.
- 'Shining Oasis' - The ancient and lost city of Petra.
- 'For Freedom's Sake' - The suffering of the 30 Years War through the eyes of a man and woman.
- 'Age of Glory' - Alexander the Great and his need for conquest while watching his life fade away.
- 'The Matricide' - Nero and the murder of his mother that he supposedly ordered.
- 'Symphony For The Quiet' - Ludwig van Beethoven and the sorrow he felt when he lost his hearing.
- 'Tannenberg' - Ulrich von Jungingen and Battle of Tannenberg that erupted in Poland.
- 'Legacy of Tudors' - Henry VIII and his reign under the crown.
- 'Royal Pain' - House of Habsburg and it's reign and demise in the Austrian territory.
Music Video and Singles
A music video was shot for the lead off single "Wings of Madness" and released on March 28, 2013. The music video shows Clementine in the role of Elizabeth Bathory, and shows her torment of others, alleged throughout history. "Wings of Madness" is War of Ages only single up to this point.
The album came out to outstanding reviews both across Europe and North America. From Metal Underground, the review states "Many bands attempt to play symphonic metal, but Austria’s Serenity has mastered the art to such a degree that the mere mention of a new release spellbinds fans of the subgenre," and "Serenity takes the symphonic metal world by storm with its 'War of Ages.'"
Angry Metal Guy states, "To Serenity's credit, there isn’t a weak track in the bunch. Although everything sounds like it was lifted from better known contemporaries, it’s all high quality, memorable and very easy to like," and "This is by far Serenity's best release and a very enjoyable dose of symphonic power."
|Angry Metal Guy|||
|The Metal Crypt|||
|1.||"Wings of Madness"||6:01|
|2.||"The Art of War"||5:15|
|4.||"For Freedom's Sake"||4:42|
|5.||"Age of Glory"||6:50|
|7.||"Symphony For The Quiet"||5:06|
|9.||"Legacy of Tudors"||5:09|
|Limited Edition Bonus Tracks|
|11.||"Fairytales (Ballad Version)"||4:29|
|12.||"Love Of My Life (Queen Cover)"||3:50|
- Produced by Oliver Philipps, Jan Vacik, and Serenity.
- All songs written by Thomas Buchberger, Mario Hirzinger, Georg Neuhauser, and Clémentine Delauney except “Love of My Life”.
- “Love of My Life” lyrics (Limited Edition only) written by Freddie Mercury of Queen
- Choir arrangements and recordings by Oliver Philipps
- Orchestration, keyboards and pianos arrangements & by Oliver Philipps
- All rhythm, lead, acoustic & classical guitars performed by Thomas Buchberger (except effect guitar on "Tannenberg" by Oliver Philipps)
- Guitar & bass recordings, drum editing, additional piano recordings, additional editing & preproduction by Thomas Buchberger
- Bass guitar recordings by Fabio D'Amore & Ivan Moni Bidin, assisted by Simone Zoldan
- "New Singer Clementine Delauney". 2013-01-21.
- ""War of Ages" 2012 Review". Metal Epic Site.
- "War of Ages Release Information". Serenity. 2013-01-14.
- "Death & Legacy Release Information". Serenity.
- "ECover.to - Song Information from album covers". ecover.to. 2013-05-04.
- "Serenity: "War of Ages" Review". 2013-03-17.
- "Angry Metal Guy Review". Steel Druhm. 2013-03-18.
- "Angry Metal Guy Review". Steel Druhm. 2013-03-18.
- "The Metal Crypt Review". 2013-02-20.
- Official website
- Serenity on Facebook
- Serenity on Myspace
- Serenity discography at MusicBrainz
- War of Ages (Serenity album) discography at Discogs
- Serenity at Encyclopaedia Metallum
- Serenity at Metal Storm
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Serenity.|