War of the Colossal Beast
|War of the Colossal Beast|
|Directed by||Bert I. Gordon|
|Produced by||Bert I. Gordon|
|Written by||Bert I. Gordon (story)
George Worthing Yates
|Music by||Albert Glasser|
|Cinematography||Jack A. Marta|
|Editing by||Ronald Sinclair|
|Running time||69 min.|
War of the Colossal Beast is a 1958 black-and-white science fiction film, directed by Bert I. Gordon , produced by Carmel Productions and distributed by American International Pictures. It continued the storyline of the 1957 movie The Amazing Colossal Man, although it was not marketed as a direct sequel, and featured a different cast. Both The Amazing Colossal Man and War of the Colossal Beast were later mocked on the television series Mystery Science Theater 3000.
Upon hearing of several recent robberies of food delivery trucks in Mexico, Joyce Manning, Army officer Lt. Col. Glenn Manning's sister (though in The Amazing Colossal Man, his fiance said he had no surviving family), becomes convinced that her brother survived his fall from the Boulder Dam at the end of the first film. Along with Army officer Major Mark Baird and scientist Dr. Carmichael, she goes to Mexico to look for him.
It is discovered that Manning, now grown to 60 feet tall after being exposed to plutonium radiation, survived his fall from the Boulder Dam at the end of the previous movie, but he has gone insane and part of his face was left disfigured following his confrontation with the Army there, turning him into a zombie-like creature.
Manning is captured, drugged by the Army, taken back to America, but he again escapes and goes on a rampage through Los Angeles and Hollywood. Eventually, Joyce makes him come to his senses and realizing what he has done, he kills himself by electrocution on high-voltage power lines near the Griffith Observatory.
- Dean Parkin as Lt. Col. Glenn Manning/Colossal Man
- Sally Fraser as Joyce Manning
- Roger Pace as Major Mark Baird
- Russ Bender as Dr. Carmichael
- Rico Alaniz as Sgt. Luis Murillo
- Charles Stewart as Captain Harris
- George Becwar as John Swanson
- Roy Gordon as Mayor
- Robert Hernandez as Miguel
- George Milan as General Nelson
- Jack Kosslyn as Newscaster
- Stan Chambers as TV Announcer
- The film was produced, directed and written by Bert I. Gordon and co-produced with Samuel Z. Arkoff.
- Although the most of the entire film is shot in black and white, the ending was shot in color for the electrocution scene, and doctored black and white.
Mystery Science Theater 3000
The Sequel was feature on the show's season 3, episode 19. Mike Nelson portrayed again the films title character; opposed to his first encounter with Joel and the Bots, he shows more gentleness to them after seeing the experiments transmission picked up by his "goofy dental work", but is still somewhat adamant when he tells them why Bert I. Gordon didn't pick him for the sequel.
- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052378/trivia The IMDB Trivia Section for the film
- War of the Colossal Beast at the Internet Movie Database
- War of the Colossal Beast at allmovie
- War of the Colossal Beast at the TCM Movie Database