Ward Township, Hocking County, Ohio
|Ward Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Hocking County.
|• Total||38.0 sq mi (98.3 km2)|
|• Land||37.9 sq mi (98.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||850 ft (259 m)|
|• Density||51.1/sq mi (19.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086325|
Ward Township is one of the eleven townships of Hocking County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,937 people in the township, 1,474 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the far eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Coal Township, Perry County - north
- Trimble Township, Athens County - east
- Dover Township, Athens County - southeast corner
- York Township, Athens County - south
- Starr Township - southwest corner
- Green Township - west
- Falls Township (northeastern portion) - northwest
It is the most easterly township in Hocking County.
Name and history
It is the only Ward Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The residents of Ward Township are served by the Nelsonville-York City School District and Nelsonville-York High School.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Hocking County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.