|Founded||August 12, 1998|
|Victor Kislyi (CEO)
Andrei Yarantsau (VP of Publishing)
|Products||Video games and services|
|Revenue||€ 217,9 million (2012)|
|€ 6,1 million (2012)|
Number of employees
The Wargaming.net Service Official Website
Wargaming Public Co Ltd is an international MMO developer and publisher headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. The company operates across 16 offices and development centres. Primarily focused on TBS and RTS games, Wargaming switched to developing free-to-play MMO games in 2009, and has since become one of the leaders in the market. The company's critical and commercial success came after the launch of its first MMO project, the military-themed team-based game World of Tanks. Wargaming is now working on several follow-ups.
The company’s first project was DBA Online—the digital version of a miniature tabletop rule set De Bellis Antiquitatis—launched in 2000.Wargaming started working on its first full-scale commercial project—the sci-fi turn-based strategy game Massive Assault—in March, 2002.
On November 16, 2007, Wargaming acquired the Minsk-based Arise studio.
In December 2008 the company released its first real-time strategy Operation “Bagration”.
On April 16, 2009, Wargaming started working on real-time strategy Order of War, which was published by Square Enix on September 18, 2009.
On August 12, 2010, the company released its first MMO title World of Tanks. It was released in North America and Europe the following year.
On April 12, 2011, World of Tanks was released in North America and Europe.
At E3 2011, Wargaming announced the follow-up to World of Tanks—the flight combat MMO action game World of Warplanes. At Gamescom 2011, the company unveiled the third part of its military saga—the naval action MMO game World of Warships.
In October 2011, Wargaming announced the online collectible card MMO game World of Tanks: Generals.
2011 marked the beginning of active global expansion for Wargaming. On July 26, 2011, the company opened the European Business Operations Centre—Wargaming Europe—with headquarters in Paris, France and with a subsidiary office in Berlin, Germany.
On August 3, 2011, the company created a direct presence in North America by opening an office in San-Francisco, USA.
On February 21, 2012, the Android version of World of Tanks Assistant—the mobile application for World of Tanks—went live in Europe and North America.
In May 2012, Wargaming entered the Korean games market  by opening a subsidiary office in Seoul.
In June 2012, Wargaming had grown to 900 employees throughout the world.
In 2012, Wargaming's revenue was declared to be 217.9 million Euro, with net profit of 6.1 million Euro, declared in an annual report for the Cyprus Stock Exchange.
On January 29, 2013, Wargaming set sights on the console market by acquiring Day 1 Studios, developer of the F.E.A.R. franchise. Renamed Wargaming West, the studios are currently developing World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition—the standalone console MMO game, based on the World of Tanks IP announced at E3 2013.
On February 12, 2013, Wargaming announced its own eSports league, the Wargaming.net League.
On March 26, 2013 Wargaming announced World of Tanks Blitz—the mobile MMO game centered around tank combat available on smartphones and tablets.
On May 29, 2013, Wargaming branched into the Japanese games market by opening an office in Tokyo.
On July 22, 2013, the company bought Total Annihilation and Master of Orion IPs from the Atari bankruptcy proceedings.
As of 2015, Wargaming owns a significant share of the Cypriot Hellenic Bank, and has shown interest in purchasing land property assets in Cyprus for investment purposes. Wargaming is currently the largest taxpayer within Cyprus.
Strategic partners and studios
- BigWorld Pty Ltd—Sydney, Australia
- Wargaming West (formerly Day 1 Studios)—Chicago, Illinois (USA), Baltimore, Maryland (USA)
- Wargaming Seattle (formerly Gas Powered Games)—Redmond, Washington (USA)
- Game Stream—Minsk, Belarus
- Persha Studia—Kiev, Ukraine
- Lesta Studio—Saint-Petersburg, Russia
- Dava Consulting—Minsk, Belarus
- DropForge Games - Bellevue, Washington (USA)
Games and reception
|Release Year||Title||Genre||Aggregated Scores|
|2000||DBA Online||Turn-based strategy||Not available|
|2003||Massive Assault||Turn-based strategy||80.11%, 77|
|2004||Massive Assault Network||Turn-based strategy||78.15%, 74|
|2005||Massive Assault: Domination||Turn-based strategy||69.61%, 69|
|2006||Massive Assault Network 2||Turn-based strategy||76.00%, 72|
|2007||Galactic Assault: Prisoner of Power||Turn-based strategy||69.47%, 68|
|2009||Order of War||Real-time strategy||71.67%, 69|
|2010||Order of War: Challenge||Real-time strategy||72.50%, 70|
2011 (EU, NA, CH)
2012 (SA, VN, SK)
|World of Tanks||Massively multiplayer online game||82.15%, 80|
|2013 (CIS, NA, EU)||World of Warplanes||Massively multiplayer online game||69.18% 69|
|2014 (Globally)||World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition||Massively multiplayer online game|
|TBA||World of Warships||Massively multiplayer online game|
|2015||"World of Tanks: Xbox One Edition"||Massively multiplayer online game|
|2014||World of Tanks Blitz||Massively multiplayer online game|
Wargaming has created more than 15 titles; most popular being MMO action game World of Tanks.
The company currently has several projects in the pipeline being developed for multiple platforms. Its flight combat MMO action game World of Warplanes was released in November 2013. The naval action MMO title World of Warships will enter a Global Alpha phase in 2014. Other projects in the works include the CCG World of Tanks: Generals, mobile MMO game World of Tanks Blitz and World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition.
Wargaming Seattle is engaged in the development of an unannounced project.
Announced in 2012, Wargaming.net is a service developed by Wargaming. The service is designed to support all of Wargaming’s MMO games, and provide a single point of entry to all Wargaming projects, partners and fan websites.
The service includes:
- Single unified account system—Wargaming.net ID that grants direct access to all Wargaming MMO titles.
- Advanced account management system—Improved personal account tools that will provide gamers with increased security, including optimized password and login resets and account restoration.
- Original payment system, built on the free-to-win principles.
- Common economics that will allow players to transfer Gold and Free Experience between Wargaming’s titles.
Unified Premium Account (UPA)
With the introduction of the Unified Premium Account service, players got the opportunity to maintain Premium time across World of Tanks and World of Warplanes, without any additional expenses. When purchased in World of Tanks, the Premium account is now also automatically activated for World of Warplanes. Once World of Warships goes live, the UPA service will be applied there, too, as well as across any other projects of the Wargaming.net universe.
Based on the free-to-win principles, the service illustrates Wargaming’s endeavor to create a fine-tuned, balanced gaming ecosystem, integrating titles with different gameplay through the unified monetization model.
The concept underlying the Unified Premium Account service contradicts business models previously established in the games industry. Instead of charging players for every piece of new content, it now spans the Premium options across all of the company’s titles.
The Unified Premium Account for World of Warplanes was activated during the second stage of the game’s Open Beta.
The service was announced in June 2012.
In August 2012, Wargaming deployed the OpenID authentication system, enabling players to log into all Wargaming-related websites using a Wargaming.net ID.
In May 2013, the first public version of Wargaming.net Service went live.
Shortly before E3 2013, it was announced that all Wargaming.net ID owners would benefit from the Unified Premium Account service, allowing players to pay for all premium services at once, with the added benefit of an increased experience and credit accrual rate in-game.
In 2013, the company plans to present the unified payment system and tweak the management of in-game resources across its MMO projects.
Wargaming is involved in a number of socially significant projects that aid in the preservation of historic heritage. The company has launched a global campaign to assist in the search for and conservation of military warfare worldwide:
- The ongoing restoration of the sole surviving Maus super-heavy tank together with the Russian Kubinka Tank Museum 
- The restoration of military warfare at the Central Museum of the Armed Forces (Moscow), “The Victory Weapon” Museum (Krasnodar, Russia)
- The restoration of WWII memorials in Medyn (Kaluga region, Russia) and on the Volokolamsk highway (Moscow region, Russia)
- The recovery of the world’s last remaining Dornier Do 17, now on display at the Royal Air Force Museum in Cosford, United Kingdom 
- The Wargaming Education Center at the Tank Museum at Bovington, United Kingdom 
- Annual Memorial Day events in North America. Donating revenue from select in-app purchases to charities, including AMVETS, Homes for Our Troops, and Military Families Fund 
- The ongoing sponsorship of the USS Iowa, docked in the Port of Los Angeles, California 
- Fundraising for restoration projects at the Tank Museum at Bovington, United Kingdom. Proceeds from special premium shop packages are donated to the museum and used to restore the museum’s current fleet of operational vehicles and to buy the highly specialized tools required to service them 
- A 25 hour streaming marathon at Wargaming West to raise money for children’s hospitals and other children’s charities (November, 2013)
- The Grace After Fire charity stream in North America. Assisting women veterans transitioning from military service, providing resources and a space to connect, renew, and heal 
- Best Game Developer Award at GDC Russia 2009 (KRI-2009).
- Media Award at GDC Russia 2009 (KRI-2009).
- Best Game Developer Award at GDC Russia 2010 (KRI-2010).
- Special Award from the Industry at GDC Russia 2011 (KRI-2011).
- Industry Excellence Award at GDC Russia 2012 (KRI-2012).
- Best Game Developer Award at GDC Russia 2012 (KRI-2012).
- Best MMO Award for World of Tanks at the Golden Joystick Awards 2012.
- Best Booth Award from Massively at E3 2012.
- Best Publisher Award from MMORPGITALIA.
- Best Action Download MMO 2012 Award for World of Tanks in the MMO of the Year awards.
- Best Classic Download MMO 2013 Award for World of Tanks in the MMO of the Year awards.
- Hermes Solomon (February 15, 2015). "Wargaming: heroes or martyrs?". Cyprus Mail. Archived from the original on February 17, 2015. Retrieved February 17, 2015.
- Joystiq Staff. Hit List Q&A: Wargaming CEO Victor Kislyi. Joystiq.com January 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-17
- Scott Parrino. Interview: Massive Assault In-Depth. Wargamer.com August 2003. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Elisabeth Cardy. How Wargaming.net launched itself to the top. Joystiq.com September 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-17.4. Nicholas Yanes.
- Wargaming’s Sergey Burkatovskiy on World of Tanks and Working in the F2P MMO Market. Gamesauce.org July 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Wargaming history. Wargaming.com Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Joe Martin.World of Warplanes announced. Bit-tech.net June 2011. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Jim Rossingnol.Full Ahead: World of Battleships Announced. Rockpapershotgun.com August 2011. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Wargaming.net Expands to Europe. Ign.com July 2011. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Wargaming.net and DAVA Join Forces. Ign.com June 2011. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Justin Olivetti.World of Tanks iOS app rolls off the factory line. Massively.joystiq.com February 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Craig Chapple. Wargaming.net continues growth with Seoul office. Develop-online.net May 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Jef Reahard. Wargaming.net to unify all its titles in a 'single MMO battle realm'. Massively.joystiq.com June 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Press Release posted by Curtis Szmania. Wargaming.net announces a global battle portal. Wargamer.com June 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Craig Chapple. Wargaming.net acquires BigWorld for $45m. Develop-online.net August 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Dean Takahashi. Wargaming acquires BigWorld middleware firm for $45M (exclusive). Venturebeat.com August 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Strategies for playing at war: World of Tanks revenues have soared from €18m in 2011 to €218m last year. Bambooinnovator.com June 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Ben Maxwell. Wargaming acquires Fracture dev Day 1, opens Chicago studio. Edge-online.com January 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Dave Tach. Wargaming.net acquires FEAR 3 developer Day 1 Studios to form Wargaming West. Polygon.com January 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Charlie Hall. World of Tanks Xbox 360 Edition: Wargaming's phenomenon comes to the console. Polygon.com June 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Tori McGrath. Wargaming.net League Announced for World of Tanks. Gamebreaker.tv February 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Laura Parker. World of Tanks Blitz coming to smartphones and tablets. Gamespot.com March 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Wargaming expands with new Tokyo office. Destructoid.com May 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Adam Solo. Wargaming Takes Master of Orion, Stardock Gets Star Control. Spacesector.com July 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Massive Assault rating from Gamerankings
- Massive Assault rating from Metacritic
- Massive Assault Network rating from Gamerankings
- Massive Assault Network rating from Metacritic
- Massive Assault:Domination rating from Gamerankings
- Massive Assault:Domination rating from Metacritic
- Massive Assault Network 2 rating from Gamerankings
- Massive Assault Network 2 rating from Metacritic
- Galactic Assault: Prisoner of Power rating from Gamerankings
- Galactic Assault: Prisoner of Power rating from Metacritic
- Order of War rating from Gamerankings
- Order of War rating from Metacritic
- Order of War: Challenge rating from Gamerankings
- Order of War: Challenge rating from Metacritic
- World of Tanks rating from Gamerankings
- World of Tanks rating from Metacritic
- "Release News | General News". World of Warplanes. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- CrsNews. Wargaming.net to Implement Global Access Service to All in MMO War Series. Curse.com June 2013.Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Simon Priest. Wargaming.net unveils unified account system, "direct access to all" MMOs. Strategyinformer.com May 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- David Hollingworth. Wargaming.net announces unified gaming service, and World of Battleships trailer. Pcauthority.com.au June 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Shawn Schuster.Wargaming's Unified Premium Account goes live. Massively.joystiq.com August 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Unified Premium Account System. Eu.wargaming.net. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Wywiad z Andreiem Yarantsau z Wargaming.net (World of Tanks), o różnicy miedzy free-to-play, a free-to-win. Antyweb.pl (June 2013). Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- The Language of Monetization Design. Gamasutra.com March 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Unified Premium Account System. Eu.wargaming.net. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Wargaming ID is Now Live on Our Forums. Worldoftanks.com January 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Wargaming.net Portal Improvements. Worldoftanks.com May 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Wargaming Announces Unified Premium Account System. Gamasutra.com May 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- World of Warplanes Prepping for Takeoff. Worldofwarplanes.eu July 2011. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Russian Kubinka Tank Museum to Restore Maus Super-Heavy Tank Together with Wargaming. Gamershell.com. April 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- [World of Tanks News - Wargaming to Help Recreate the Legendary Maus World of Tanks News - Wargaming to Help Recreate the Legendary Maus]. Mmorpg.com. April 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- Wargaming and RAF Museum Announce Dornier 17 Final Resting Place. Piratesahoy.net. May 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- Wargaming to Sponsor Education Center at the Tank Museum in Bovington, England. Worldoftanks.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- Wargaming.net Celebrates National Military Appreciation Month with Charity Drive.Gamepolitics.com. May 2013. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- Wargaming America to Bring History Alive with Virtual Ship Battles aboard the USS IOWA. Pacificbattleship.com. June 2012.
- Wargaming.net Teams up with The Tank Museum at Bovington. Worldoftanks.eu. June 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- Wargaming West - Rolling Out for Charity - this weekend!. Forum.worldoftanksxbox360edition.com. October 2013. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- Grace After Fire Charity Stream. Worldoftanks.com. April 2014. Retrieved 2014.
- PhoeniX_Arseny.Белорусская компания Wargaming.net получила престижную премию на КРИ 2009. Maxigame.by май 2009. Архивировано из первоисточника 2013-09-18.
- IGN Staff. Wargaming.net Wins Best KRI 2010 Game Developer Award from Critics in Russia. Ign.com May 2010. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- КРИ 2011. Обзор от Goha.ru. Worldoftanks.ru May 2011. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- Suzie Ford. World of WarPlanes News Wargaming.net Scores Big Awards at Russian GDC. Mmorpg.com May 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- Jef Reahard. World of Tanks claims Golden Joystick's best MMO award. Massively.joystiq.com October 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- Jef Reahard. Massively's E3 2012 awards and impressions. Massively.joystiq.com June 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- Paolo Davide. MMORPGITALIA Editor's Choice Awards 2011. Mmorpgitalia.it January 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- World of Tanks has won a total of 3 MMO of the Year awards. Mmooftheyear.com 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-18.