Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy
|Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy|
|Release date(s)||October 13, 2009|
Warnings at Waverly Academy is the 21st installment in the Nancy Drew point-and-click adventure game series by Her Interactive. The game is available for play on Microsoft Windows platforms. It has an ESRB rating of E for moments of mild violence and peril. Players take on the first-person view of fictional amateur sleuth Nancy Drew and must solve the mystery through interrogation of suspects, solving puzzles, and discovering clues. There are two levels of gameplay, Junior and Senior detective modes, each offering a different difficulty level of puzzles and hints, however neither of these changes affect the actual plot of the game. The game is loosely based on a book entitled The Curse of the Black Cat (2000).  
Nancy Drew goes undercover as a transfer student named "Becca Sawyer" at the Waverly Academy for Girls, an exclusive boarding school in upstate New York. The valedictorian candidates have been receiving threatening notes signed by someone called the "Black Cat". As soon as a girl receives two threats, something bad happens to her. One girl had a severe allergic reaction and had to be rushed to the hospital. Another was locked inside a pitch-black closet all night. The parents of the victims are threatening to sue the school if the perpetrator isn't identified quickly. Is there a secret someone wants to protect or are the girls playing games to scare away the competition - permanently? The headmistress is counting on Nancy to solve the mystery before the threats turn deadly.
- Nancy Drew - Nancy is an eighteen-year old amateur detective from the fictional town of River Heights in the United States. She is the only playable character in the game, which means the player must solve the mystery from her perspective.
- Izzy Romero - Izzy is the most popular girl in Waverly. She is the student body president and the life of the party. Keeping her crown as the queen of the school is no easy feat though. Is she resorting to scare tactics to keep everyone else from threatening her position at the top?
- Mel Corbalis - Mel is a self-professed outcast and recluse. She spends most of her time disliking the social cliques in school and practicing her cello. She was automatically accepted at Waverly because she comes from a long line of alumnae, but she doesn't fit in and doesn't want to be there. Would she send threats to the other girls to bring down the social ladder?
- Leela Yadav - Leela is Waverly's fiercely competitive all-star athlete, who juggles getting straight As with playing soccer and basketball. With the race for valedictorian heating up and the contenders so close in rank, would Leela's need to win at all costs drive her to make drastic plans to gain the competitive edge?
- Corine Myers - Corine is one of the smartest girls in the entire school, but she doesn't really fit in with the group. The other girls think she tries too hard to be popular and don't include her in their parties. Could Corine be sending threats in order to get the attention of the popular girls?
- Rachel Hubbard - Three weeks ago, Rachel nearly had the title of valedictorian in the bag, but then she failed an important test. In order for her to regain the lead, all of the other girls would also need to fail a test or paper. Could Rachel be trying to scare the other girls in order to distract them from their studies?
- Megan Vargas - Megan is Mel's roommate who had to go home because of a bad allergic reaction that occurred shortly after she received a second note from the Black Cat. She can provide more information about the suspects and her allergic reaction.
- Ned Nickerson - Ned is Nancy's boyfriend who always worries when she is on a case but helps her out nonetheless. He can be called for hints and tips.
- Mel Corbalis - Samara Lerman
- Rachel Hubbard / Gossiping Girl - Adrienne MacIain
- Corine Myers - Emilie Rommel
- Izzy Romero - Khanh Doan
- Leela Yadav - Kasey Brockwell
- Megan Vargas / Gossiping Girl - Nicole Fierstein
- Ned Nickerson - Scott Carty
- Paige Griffin / Gossiping Girl - Charissa Bertels
- Gossiping Girl - Shanna Palmer 
- On the dripping wall, place the tokens in a certain order: in the 7th column, top to bottom, place these tokens: cat, bug, orangutan, and raven. After receiving this egg, there will be a new choice of mallet while playing air hockey with Leela.
- Type in ISBN 4755568135314 into the library catalogue, and then take a book from the reference shelf. It will contain an egg.
- On the raven puzzle in the classroom, press the eye three times, the larger wing twice, and the tail once.
In each of the games, there are different points where Nancy can make "fatal errors." These points are usually when she blows her cover as a detective or gets seriously injured. At such points, the game will stop and give the player the option to try again before the fatal error occurred. If the player doesn't wish to retry, then the game is over. The fatal errors in Warnings at Waverly Academy include:
- Getting expelled by getting 15 demerits. Throughout the game, Nancy can earn demerits by pulling the fire alarm, breaking the glass of the special collections cabinet, climbing into the school's oak tree, failing to serve as Snack Shop Boss for the day, serving a teacher's snack too slowly, breaking into a classroom or another student's room during the day, or sneaking around after 11 pm and getting caught by Paige. However, you can redeem yourself by gaining credits by helping Rachel with the school website and finding and returning the missing Edgar Allan Poe book.
- Climbing onto the wrong branch while following the squirrel up the tree, causing the branch to break.
- Being cut in half by a falling pendulum by failing to complete the game's final puzzle in time.
In some of the games, awards can be earned for doing various tasks. If all awards are earned, there will be an additional blooper video at the end of the game.
- All School Champ: For keeping the double-take high score. (Do this near the end of the game so Izzy can't beat the high score.)
- Bibliophile: For your love of book titles. (Searching at least 10 book titles in the library catalog.)
- Demerit Danger/Credit Cruncher: Earned by either gaining lots of demerits/credits. (Demerits= 20. Credits= 10.)
- Easter Egg: CONFIDENTIAL. (This is earned by receiving one, two, or all three of the Easter Eggs.)
- Gossip Monger:
- Late Night Explorer: For after hours sneaking. (This is earned by exploring Waverly after 11:00 p.m and hiding from Paige at least 10 times.)
- Master Duelist: For repeatedly challenging Leela. (This is earned by beating Leela at both hockey and scram 7 times.)
- Musical Virtuoso: For your dedicated piano practice. (This is earned by repeatedly playing the piano 5 times.)
- Short Order Cook: For keeping your fellow students fed. (This is earned by serving as Snack Shop Boss more than 10 times.)
- Shutterbug: For your enthusiasm in photography. (This is earned by having 30 pictures saved in your phone at the end of the game.)
- Social Butterfly: For constantly seeing if anyone's home. (This is earned by knocking on each person's door, including Paige, 20 times.)
- Trivia Tamer: For correctly answering the question.
References to Previous Games
References to previous games in the series include:
- Nancy's desk features a scrapbook which includes all of the previous games in the series.
- Nancy's cell phone wallpaper (Dread Isle = Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships; Surf Shack = Nancy Drew: The Creature of Kapu Cave; Icicle Creek = Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek; Castle Malloy = Nancy Drew: The Haunting of Castle Malloy; Bolet Gardens = Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull)
- Nancy talks to herself when she uses the bathroom. Many of the quotes are references to characters from past games. They are included below.
- Many of the books from past games are included in the library catalog. Some are included below.
- Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill
- Library Book: "A Visitor's Guide to Paseo Del Mar" by Hal Tanaka
- Library Book: "Paseo Del Mar School Codes & Regulations" by Paseo Del Mar Schools
- Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger
- Bathroom Quote: "Not nice, Dwayne. Not nice at all." (Referring to Dwayne Powers)
- Nancy Drew: Treasure in the Royal Tower
- Library Book: "Purple Hearted Queen" by Beatrice Hotchkiss
- Nancy Drew: The Final Scene
- The Porky & Jess poster on the wall in Rachel's room is from the Royal Palladium.
- The Neo poster on the wall in Mel's room was a movie featured at the Royal Palladium.
- Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand
- Library Book: "Prudent Living: A Memoir" by Prudence Rutherford
- Corine has Koko Kringle stickers on her laptop, the snack shop sells Koko Kringles, and Mel has a Koko Kringle wrapper in her room.
- The fire alarm is made by Krolmeister Alarms.
- Library Book: "A Traveler's Guide to Beech Hill Museum" by Beech Hill Museum
- Nancy Drew: The Secret of Shadow Ranch
- Library Book: "Like Wind Through My Heart" by Charleena Purcell
- Library Book: "All Cooped Up On The Western Front" by Henri Fowler
- Library Book: "The Capes of Wrath" by Stonebeach
- Library Book: "Tossing Squid and Other Rituals" by S. Teuthida
- Library Book: "Buckaroo Blues" by Roper
- Library Book: "Desert Serpent" by Caddy
- Library Book: "The Foresight Saga" by D. Birds
- Library Book: "Whoa Nellie!" by Gambel
- Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor
- Library Book: "Grenny and the Water Fairy" by John Penvellyn
- Library Book: "The Journal of Charles Penvellyn" by Charles Penvellyn
- It says that Elinor Penvellyn attended Waverly Academy. Although it is not the Elinor Penvellyn discussed in the game (because she lived from 1626-1650), she may be a descendant of the Penvellyn family.
- Library Book: "Aeolus Master of the Winds" by Joona Tuulikki
- Library Book: "Monsters: What and Why" by Bee Stiary
- Nancy Drew: Secret of the Old Clock
- The poster on Mel's wall and the sticker on her cello case say Creepy's Corner.
- Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
- A goth version of the Naughty Tina doll is on Mel's dresser.
- Library Book: "The Little Book of Samplers" by Bernice Addlemyer
- Library Book: "Gemstones and How to Identify Them by Rexford Milhouse
- Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek
- Library Book: "Finding Fish" by Bill Kessler
- Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull
- Bathroom Quote: "What was the deal with all those glass eyes...?" (In the game Nancy collects the 25 glass eyes of Bruno Bolet)
- Library Book: "The Crystal Skulls: Fact or Fable?" by Beatrice Hotchkiss
- Library Book: "Short Stories for Tired Eyes" by Bruno Bolet
- Nancy Drew: The Phantom of Venice
- Bathroom Quote: "If he finds out I lost that locket I am so going to be in trouble." (Ned gave Nancy a locket that was stolen by the Phantom)
- Library Book: "The Principles of Prudence" by Prudence Rutherford
- Nancy Drew: The Haunting of Castle Malloy
- Bathroom Quote: "One Crow's Nest, comin' up!" (Nancy makes a drink called a Crow's Nest for Donal Delany)
- The leprechauns from the garden are in the Lost and Found drawer.
- Caitlin O'Brien Malloy graduated in 1934 and created the O'Brien Merit Award.
- Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships
- Bathroom Quote: "Coucou want fruit." (A direct quote by Coucou the parrot.)
- There is a photo of Bess and George on the beach in Nancy's bag.
- Bess's bracelet is in the Lost and Found drawer.
- When wandering around the upstairs hallway, Mel can be heard practicing cello from her bedroom. The three pieces she is playing are Cello Suite #1: 1st Movement- Prelude, Cello Suite #1: 4th Movement- Sarabande, and Cello Suite #3: 6th Movement- Gigue from Johann Sebastian Bach's Cello Suites.
- The final puzzle Nancy solves after facing the culprit is a reference to Edgar Allan Poe's short story "The Pit and the Pendulum".
- Mr. Mingles, the dog from Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger, is drawn on Corine's door.
- "Nancy Drew Warnings at Waverly Academy | Girl Games Online". Herinteractive.com.
- "Nancy Drew Warnings at Waverly Academy IMDb".
Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships
|Nancy Drew Computer Games||Succeeded by
Nancy Drew: Trail of the Twister