Warpaint performing live in August 2011
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Alternative rock, indie rock, art rock, dream pop|
|Labels||Manimal, Rough Trade|
Jenny Lee Lindberg
|Past members||Shannyn Sossamon
Warpaint is an American alternative rock band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 2004. Since its inception, the band's lineup has included Emily Kokal (vocals, guitar), Theresa Wayman (guitar, vocals) and Jenny Lee Lindberg (bass, backing vocals). The band's current drummer is Stella Mozgawa, who joined Warpaint following the departure of founding member Shannyn Sossamon.
While dating Kokal, former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante mixed and mastered the band's debut EP, Exquisite Corpse released in 2008. It was followed by their full-length album, The Fool, in 2010.
Beginning and formation (2004-2007) 
Warpaint formed in Los Angeles on Valentine's Day 2004. The original lineup consisted of childhood friends Theresa Wayman and Emily Kokal alongside sisters Shannyn Sossamon and Jenny Lee Lindberg. The band played in the Los Angeles area for three years, writing songs ("Stars", "Beetles", and "Elephants") which would eventually comprise their debut EP, Exquisite Corpse.
Exquisite Corpse (2007-2009) 
The band began recording their debut EP, Exquisite Corpse, in December 2007, with producer Jacob Bercovici. The sessions took over two months and concluded with mixing and mastering by then-Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante, who was also Kokal's boyfriend at the time. Warpaint self-released the EP in 2008, which quickly moved to number 1 on the Los Angeles Amoeba Records local artist chart. In 2009, Exquisite Corpse was rereleased worldwide on Manimal Vinyl records to critical acclaim. The song "Elephants" featured in the 2011 independent feature film "Siren", a horror genre film directed by Andrew Hull and released by Lionsgate.
Drummer Stella Mozgawa joined the band in the winter of 2009. Shortly afterwards, Warpaint were signed to Rough Trade Records, and immediately began extensive touring throughout the United States and Europe, including an opening slot for The xx.
The Fool (2010-present) 
On October 25, 2010, the band released their debut album, The Fool. The album received a glowing review in the NME. Prior to the album's release, the band contributed a cover of the David Bowie song "Ashes to Ashes" to We Were So Turned On, a Bowie tribute album released in conjunction with War Child.
In November 2010, the band revealed that the song "Shadows" would be the first single from their debut album and would be released as a digital download and 12" vinyl on January 10, 2011. A remix of the single, "Shadows (Neon Lights Remix)", has proven popular; managing to be playlisted by BBC Radio 1 as part of the In New Music We Trust.
Warpaint toured the United States and Europe in the spring and summer of 2011 to promote the album. They played at various major festivals including Bonnaroo, Glastonbury Festival, Reading and Leeds Festivals, Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, Rock Werchter and Electric Picnic.
In 2011, the rerelease of Undertow charted in the UK at number 92 and also in Australia at number 75. On September 25, 2011 they played the prestigious Hollywood Bowl (as a support act).
- The Fool (2010)
- Current members
- Emily Kokal – vocals, guitar, synthesizer (2004–present)
- Theresa Wayman – guitar, vocals, keyboards, drums (2004–present)
- Jenny Lee Lindberg – bass, vocals (2004–present)
- Stella Mozgawa – drums, guitar, keyboards, vocals (2009–present)
- Former members
- Michael Quinn – drums, cello (2009)
- Josh Klinghoffer – drums, guitar (2009)
- David Orlando – drums (2007–2009)
- Shannyn Sossamon – drums, vocals (2004–2008)
- "Warpaint reveal their Valentine's Day secret – video | News". NME. IPC Media. June 17, 2010. Retrieved November 25, 2010.
- Costa, Maddy (October 21, 2010). "Warpaint: The Fool – Review | Music". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved October 21, 2010.
- "Sound of 2011 – Warpaint". BBC Music. British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved December 6, 2010.
- Hanra, Hanna (December 15, 2010). "Warpaint!". BEAT Magazine. Retrieved February 26, 2011.
- Dombal, Ryan (June 22, 2010). "The xx Announce Fall Tour | News". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved September 25, 2010.
- Snapes, Laura (October 25, 2010). "Album Review: Warpaint – The Fool (Rough Trade)". NME. IPC Media. Retrieved October 25, 2010.
- "Warpaint Announce Second Single". The Line of Best Fit. November 12, 2010. Retrieved December 26, 2010.
- "Warpaint "Shadows" (Neon Lights remix) – web exclusive!". Rough Trade Records. December 11, 2010. Retrieved December 27, 2010.
- "50 Best New Bands of 2010 | #44 Warpaint". NME. IPC Media.
- Perry, Andrew (October 18, 2010). "Warpaint: Who's that tomboy over there, who looks like she doesn't care?". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved May 30, 2011.