Warren Bradley (politician)
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (May 2010)|
Warren Bradley is a British firefighter, politician and a former Liberal Democrat. He was an Independent councillor for the Wavertree ward as well as the former Leader of Liverpool City Council. Before taking over as leader of the council from former Liverpool Liberal Democrats leader, Mike Storey, he was the executive member for Leisure and Culture. After the Liberal Democrats defeat in the 2010 local elections in Liverpool during which the Labour Party took control of the city council for the first time since 1998 and their leader, Joe Anderson, became leader of the city council, Warren Bradley became leader of the opposition.
Bradley was the subject of a mock-up by the Liverpool Echo following Liverpool's one star rating. The front page featured a mock up of Bradley as a cowboy in "The Lone Star State".
On Monday April 18, 2011, Bradley announced his resignation as leader of the Liberal Democrat group of Liverpool City Council following allegations of electoral fraud regarding the selection and nomination of his son as a candidate in the 2011 local elections. Bradley has been extremely critical of the centre-right leadership of the Liberal Democrats and attacked the coalition on several policies, even calling for the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition to end. According to a Lib Dem spokesperson he has been "permanently excluded" from the party after breaking its rules by declaring that he would stand for re-election as an independent candidate.
In March 2012 Bradley admitted committing perjury following a police investigation into the aforementioned electoral fraud allegations and was fined by Liverpool Magistrates' Court.
- Coligan, Nick. "Official: Liverpool city council is worst - yes, the WORST - in the country". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved April 18, 2011.
- Bartlett, David. "Warren Bradley resigns as leader of Liverpool City Council Liberal Democrat group". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved April 18, 2011.
- "Lib Dem Warren Bradley quits amid election fraud claims". BBC News. April 18, 2011. Retrieved April 18, 2011.
- "Ex-council chief accused of perjury". Ex-council chief accused of perjury. The Press Association.
- Diaz, Alex (March 16, 2012). "Ex-council leader Warren Bradley fined for perjury". The Independent (London).
|Leader of Liverpool City Council
|Leader of Liverpool City Council Liberal Democrat Group
|This article about an English politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|