Warren Ellis (musician)
|Born||1965 (age 49–50)
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
|Occupation(s)||Musician and composer|
|Instruments||Violin, piano, bouzouki, guitar, flute, mandolin, tenor guitar, viola|
|Labels||Anchor & Hope
|Associated acts||Dirty Three
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
|Fender "Mandocaster" (Electric Mandolin)
(Fender) Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Eastwood Warren Ellis Signature Tenor Guitar
Warren Ellis (born 1965) is an Australian musician and composer. He is a member of several groups: Dirty Three, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and Grinderman. He has also composed film scores with Nick Cave. Ellis plays violin, piano, bouzouki, guitar, flute, mandolin, tenor guitar, and viola. Ellis has been a member of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds since 1994.
Life and career
Ellis was born in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. He won a scholarship to a private high school. He learned classical violin and flute at school in Ballarat. Ellis then went to university in Melbourne, where he studied classical violin. After that he then worked briefly as a schoolteacher in country Victoria. In January 1988 he travelled to Europe, where he busked in Greece, Hungary, Scotland and Ireland. A year later he returned to Australia. Ellis then wrote music for theatre groups and performed at art openings and plays in Melbourne, before he started playing in bands in the early nineties.
In 1995, Ellis was invited to play with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on a recording; he remained with the band and continues to play and record with the Bad Seeds, and Grinderman, formed as a spin-off group from the Bad Seeds, who have released two albums.
In 2002, Ellis released a solo album on King Crab records called Three Pieces for Violin. Since 2005 he has played on several Marianne Faithfull albums, and collaborated with Nick Cave exclusively; the two composed the award-winning score of the film The Proposition, and then collaborated again on the scores of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and The Road.
In 2009, Nick Cave & Warren Ellis released White Lunar – an album that includes other soundtrack scores.
- Cat Power' album You Are Free violin on "Good Woman"
- The Blackeyed Susans' album All Souls Alive
- Kim Salmon's album Hey Believer
- David McComb's album Love of Will
- "Hell's Coming Down" from the Primal Scream album Riot City Blues
- Slight Delay album by Loene Carmen
- Also performed with the Chicago burlesque queen Maya Sinstress in early 2000
- "Crazy Love" by Marianne Faithfull/Nick Cave, with Isabelle Huppert
- Jim Yamouridis' album Into the Day
- Theo Hakola's album Drunk Women and Sexual Water (2008)
- Marianne Faithfull album Give My Love to London (2014)
Film and theatre scores with Nick Cave
- Woyzeck, theatre score (2005), adaptation by Gísli Örn Gardarsson
- The Proposition, soundtrack (2005)
- Metamorphosis, theatre score (2006)
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, soundtrack (2007)
- The English Surgeon, soundtrack (2007)
- The Road, soundtrack (2009)
- The Girls of Phnom Penh, soundtrack (2009)
- Lawless soundtrack (2012).
- Days Of Grace, soundtrack (2012)
- West of Memphis: Voices For Justice, soundtrack (2013)
- Loin des Hommes, soundtrack (2015)
- 2005 AFI Awards: Best Original Music Score (The Proposition)
- 2005 Inside Film Awards: Best Music (The Proposition)
- 2005 Film Critics Circle of Australia Awards: Best Musical Score (The Proposition)
- 2010 Kermode Awards: Best Score (The Road)
- "CULTURE : Digging diamonds from the dirt; Dirty Three Birmingham Academy 2". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Warren Ellis Interview". BBC. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- Baker, J. (2013). The Art of Nick Cave: New Critical Essays. Intellect Books. p. 72.
- "Liverpool – Entertainment – Dirty Three @ Carling Academy". BBC. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Calkin, J. "Flying on instruments". The Telegraph.
- Option: Volumes 66–71, Sonic Options Network, 1996
- Dwyer, M. "Wild seed". The Age.
- "From The Archives -Dirty Three- Concert Chronology / Gigography". Fromthearchives.com. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "More than one string to his bow". The Age. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "Vesturport". Vesturport.com. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "Trailer: Nick Cave-Penned/Scored ‘Lawless’". Twentyfourbit.com. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- Dirty Three
- Nick Cave official site
- Grinderman official site
- Warren Ellis at the Internet Movie Database