||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (February 2011)|
|Industry||Genealogy, Sports Genetics|
|Products||Y-SNP Tests, Recreational Genetic Testing|
Warrior Roots is a commercial genetic genealogy and sports company based in Kensington, Maryland. Warrior Roots offers analysis of YDNA for genealogical purposes based on DNA samples collected using a cheek swab method with a kit supplied by Warrior Roots to its customers. Warrior Roots also offers genetic analysis of specific genetic markers for the purpose of sports training.
Warrior Roots began development in 2006 by Keith Wetherby. Wetherby was involved with several government projects including the Mammalian Gene Collection (MGC), and the Comparative Vertebrate Sequencing project.
Wetherby saw a strong connection between the sports world, and in particular Mixed Martial Arts, and the desire for genealogical information. With his background in genetic analysis Wetherby began mapping out genealogical data as it pertained to historical military traditions.
In 2009 Warrior Roots went from development to a commercial enterprise. Tom Murphy serves as CEO of Warrior Roots.
Warrior Roots uses modern DNA analysis techniques to determine your ancient ancestral roots (Y-Chromosome DNA) and your genetic tendencies for various athletic characteristics (Athletic Testing). Both of these tests begin with individual DNA collection. Customers receive a sterile DNA collector with which they swab the inside of their cheek to collect cells containing their DNA. The collector is specifically designed to protect and preserve the DNA until it can be extracted by Warrior Roots Scientists. Once the customer sample reaches the lab, portions of the DNA collector are submerged in an extraction solution designed to collect and stabilize the DNA. Next, the DNA is sequenced and analyzed. For the ancestral test, markers (or genetic variations) specific to known genetic populations are identified in the DNA sequence, allowing Warrior Roots to determine which ancient warrior group the customer has descended from. For the athletic test, a different set of markers are analyzed in nine different genes associated with athletic performance, allowing Warrior Roots to determine the customer’s genetic athletic potential.
Warrior Roots offers the analysis of Y-DNA for identification of the ethnic and geographic origin of the paternal line. A haplogroup is determined and the customer receives a packet detailing the test results and providing extrapolated information on military ancestors.
After a customer's DNA is analyzed they receive a packet detailing how these genes impact their athletic performance and how to adjust their training exercises to adapt to the genetic test results.
Warrior Roots and Mixed Martial Arts
Warrior Roots the company has directed its message towards the world of Mixed Martial Arts. Many notable competitors within the sport have been genetically tested by Warrior Roots for both their ancestry and also for specific genetic markers related to physical performance. Among those tested:
- Clay Guida tested positive for the Sarmatian
- David Loiseau tested positive for the Briton
- Denis Kang Result: Han Warrior
- Dorian Price tested positive for the Briton
- Dustin Hazelett Result: Scot/Irish Celt
- Georges St-Pierre tested positive for the Celtic
- Jonathan Goulet Result: Briton
- Jorge Gurgel Result: Phoenician Warrior
- Keith Jardine Result Phoenician Warrior
- Kenny Florian Ancient warrior result: Celtic
- Michael Patt Result: Celtic
- Nate Marquardt tested as Celtic
- Rashad Evans Result: Kushite
- Rich Franklin Ancient warrior result: Celtic
- Shane Carwin Ancient warrior result: Saxon
- Tom Murphy tested positive for the Celtic
- Waylon Lowe Ancient Warrior Result: Viking
- Brendan Schaub Result Sumerian
- Chris Cariaso Ancient Warrior Han
- Duane Bang Result: Germanic Warrior
- Eliot Marshall Result: Kushite
- Firas Zahabi Result: Phoenician Warrior
- Jacob Miller tested positive for the Celtic
- Jon Chaimberg
- Jonathan Jones Result: Kushite
- Olivier Reynaud tested positive for the Celtic
- Steven Thompson Result: Briton
- Tom Hayden Ancient warrior result: Viking
- Yves Jabouin Ancient warrior result: Celtic
- MMA Authority Magazine February/March 2009 issue 
- MMA Authority Magazine August/September 2009 issue 
- MMA Junkie 4/27/2009 Tom Murphy and Warrior Roots go high-tech
- MMA Junkie 3/8/2009 Shane Carwin proves he's the real deal at UFC 96
- ESPN Radio 5/12/2009 Between Rounds
- Yahoo! Sports 3/8/2009 Carwin proves he's the real deal
- MMA Madness 7/24/09 http://mmamadness.com/insight/article/485
- University of Connecticut Magazine Fall / Winter 2009 http://magazine.uconn.edu/fwin2009/newsandnotes.html
- Suburban News 12/10/09 http://www.northjersey.com/news/78940432.html
- Keith Jardine on MixedMartialArts.com http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=news.detail&gid=209400
- Shane Carwin on MixedMartialArts.com http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=news.detailv2&gid=228838
- MMA Authority Magazine February/March 2009 issue
- MMA Authority Magazine August/September 2009 issue