||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007)|
Wash Westmoreland (born March 4, 1966) is an independent film director who has worked in television, documentaries, independent films. His 2006 release, "Quinceañera", had a double Sundance win (Audience Award and Grand Jury Prize), and also picked up the Humanitas Prize, and the John Cassavetes Spirit Award. In 2008, Westmoreland produced an MTV film "Pedro" about AIDS activist Pedro Zamora that was introduced on MTV by U.S. President Bill Clinton. Working with his partner Richard Glatzer, he directed "The Last of Robin Hood" In 2012 starring Kevin Kline, Susan Sarandon and Dakota Fanning. The duo are currently preparing to shoot "Still Alice" starring Julianne Moore.
Wash Westmoreland was born Paul Westmoreland in Leeds, England on March 4, 1966. His father was a maintenance engineer for the CEGB and his mother worked as a receptionist at a local hair salon. He was named "Paul" after a member of the The Beatles but received the nickname "Wash" as a child. He finished high school intending to pursue science at university level, but after a short disruptive spell in a religious cult changed his direction to study social science. Westmoreland earned his college degree in Politics and East Asian Studies at the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Fukuoka University in Japan, graduating in 1990. He emigrated to America in 1992, initially living in New York City, then moving to New Orleans where worked washing dishes and cleaning houses. In 1995, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in film.
Westmoreland's first feature film The Fluffer, was an exploration of obsession and power relations set with the adult video industry. The film received generally favorable reviews and was successful enough that West proved he could helm more mainstream films. He co-directed this film with his professional and personal partner, Richard Glatzer.
After this Westmoreland segued into television work, making a successful VH1 show called Totally Gay which charted the evolution of mainstream gay culture from 1993-2003.
Then, Westmoreland made a documentary called Gay Republicans about the Log Cabin Republican reaction to President George W. Bush's support for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage in the 2004 election campaign. The doc premiered on Trio cable network on election night. Shortly after, a longer version was shown at the 2004 American Film Institute festival where it picked up the Audience Award for best documentary.
Then came another collaboration with Glatzer -- Quinceañera -- about a 14 year old Hispanic girl discovering she is pregnant and being kicked out of the house. The film also received generally favorable reviews, reaching 86% on Rotten Tomatoes and has won awards at various film festivals including the Sundance Film Festival where it picked up the audience award for best narrative feature as well as the Grand Jury Prize.
In 2008 Westmoreland and Glatzer exec-produced "Pedro" -- a movie about political activist and reality TV star, Pedro Zamora -- for MTV. The movie played at Toronto and Berlin Film Festivals before showing on TV with a special intro recorded by President Bill Clinton. Westmoreland then went on to work on several reality TV shows, including "Dean of Invention" and "America's Next Top Model."
Currently, the duo are working on "The Last of Robin Hood" a movie based on the true story of Errol Flynn's last love affair, starring Kevin Kline, Susan Sarandon, and Dakota Fanning.
After working as a camera assistant on Bruce LaBruce's movie Hustler White, Westmoreland decided to enter the Adult Entertainment world to make what he described as "post-modern pornography" and research material for a feature film project The Fluffer. He managed to land a job directing for BIG Video, a minor label and directed under the name Wash West. Toolbox and Dr Jerkoff and Mr Hard were his first significant films. Then in 1997, he wrote and directed Naked Highway for BIG Video which swept both the 1997 Adult Erotic Gay Video Awards and the 1998 AVN Awards.
It was also during this time that Westmoreland started to make his presence in mainstream films felt. He appeared briefly in Velvet Goldmine by director Todd Haynes. Haynes would go on to work with Westmoreland as a producer on Quinceañera.
Westmoreland went on to direct the cat-and-mouse thriller Animus for All Worlds Video, which channeled the millennium fears of the time (1999) and featured performances from Blake Harper and Thomas Lloyd, who both won GayVN Awards for their work. Then, under the name of Bud Light, he directed, The Devil is a Bottom which won the 2001 GayVN Award as Best Sex Comedy and was surprisingly listed as one of the LA Weekly Critic's Top Ten Movies of the year.
His work in the adult industry culminated in 2001 independent film The Fluffer which was loosely based on many real events and characters. Around this time he gave a candid interview to Terri Gross on NPR's Fresh Air. After this he only made two more adult movies; Seven Deadly Sins Gluttony for All Worlds Video, based on Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray and a parody of the horror film The Ring called The Hole for Jet Set Productions. Westmoreland picked up many GayVN Awards for both titles.
As Wash Westmoreland
- (2013) "The Last of Robin Hood" writer, director
- (2012) "America's Next Top Model" director
- (2008) "Pedro" exec producer
- (2006) Quinceañera writer, director
- (2004) Gay Republicans writer, director
- (2003) Totally Gay director (for VH-1)
- (2001) The Fluffer writer, director
- (1998) Velvet Goldmine actor
- (1996) Hustler White actor, assistant camera
As Wash West
- (2003) The Hole writer, director
- (2002) Rubber is Natural (short) director
- (2001) Seven Deadly Sins: Gluttony aka The Porno Picture of Dorian Gray writer, director, videographer
- (1999) Animus writer, director, videographer
- (1999) Technical Ecstasy writer, director
- (1997) Naked Highway writer, director, videographer
- (1998) Toolbox writer, director
- (1996) Dr Jerkoff and Mr Hard writer, director, videographer
- (1996) Taking the Plunge!director, writer
- (1995) Squishy Does Porno writer, director
As Bud Light
- (2005) Jet Set Direct: Take Two producer (one scene only)
- (2004) Jet Set Direct: Take One producer (one scene only)
- (2002) Porn Academy producer
- (2000) Brothers in Arms producer
- (2000) The Devil is a Bottom producer
- (2000) Florida Erection producer
- (1999) Lost Exit videographer
- (1998) Red Hot and Safe producer
- 1997 Adult Erotic Gay Video Award Best Director - Naked Highway, BIG Video
- 1997 Adult Erotic Gay Video Award Best Screenplay - Naked Highway, BIG Video
- 1997 Adult Erotic Gay Video Award Best Cinematography - Naked Highway, BIG Video
- 1998 AVN Award Best Director (Gay Video) - Naked Highway, BIG Video
- 1998 AVN Award Best Screenplay (Gay Video) - Naked Highway, BIG Video
- 1998 AVN Award Best Videography (Gay Video) - Naked Highway, BIG Video
- 1998 AVN Award Best Editing (Gay Video) - Dr Jerkoff and Mr Hard, BIG Video
- 1999 Adult Erotic Gay Video Award Best Screenplay (Fantasy) - Animus, All Worlds Video
- 2001 Adult Erotic Gay Video Award Best Screenplay - Seven Deadly Sins: Gluttony, All Worlds Video
- 2002 GayVN Award Best Director - Seven Deadly Sins Gluttony, All Worlds Video
- 2002 GayVN Award Best Screenplay - Seven Deadly Sins Gluttony, All Worlds Video
- 2002 GayVN Award Best Videography - Seven Deadly Sins Gluttony, All Worlds Video
- 2002 GayVN Award Best Editing (with Andrew Rosen) - Seven Deadly Sins Gluttony, All Worlds Video
- 2003 Adult Erotic Gay Video Award Best Director - The Hole, Jet Set Productions
- 2003 Adult Erotic Gay Video Award Best Screenplay - The Hole, Jet Set Productions
- 2004 GayVN Award Best Director - The Hole, Jet Set Productions
- AFI Festival 2004 Audience Award for best documentary, Gay Republicans
- 2006 Sundance Film Festival Awards Grand Jury Prize: Dramatic - Quinceañera
- 2006 Sundance Film Festival Awards Audience Award: Dramatic - Quinceañera
- Newport International Film Festival 2006 Audience Award for Best Narrative feature "Quinceañera."
- Atlanta International Film Festival 2006 Audience Award for Best Narrative Feature "Quinceañera."
- Provincetown International Film Festival 2006 Best Feature Film "Quinceañera."
- Humanitas Award for the Best Independent Screenplay "Quinceannera."
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Leadership Award 2006
- John Cassavetes Spirit Award 2007 for Best Low-Budget Feature "Quinceanera."
In addition, Wash West directed the following winners for Best Gay Video:
- 1997 Adult Erotic Gay Video Award Naked Highway, BIG Video
- 1998 AVN Award Naked Highway, BIG Video
- 1999 Adult Erotic Gay Video Award Fantasy Video - Technical Ecstasy, Men of Odyssey
- 2000 Adult Erotic Gay Video Award Comedy Video - The Devil is a Bottom, All Worlds Video (as Bud Light)
- 2001 GayVN Award Comedy Video - The Devil is a Bottom, All Worlds Video (as Bud Light)
- 2002 GayVN Award Seven Deadly Sins Gluttony, All Worlds Video
- 2003 Adult Erotic Gay Video Award - The Hole, Jet Set Productions
- 2004 GayVN Award The Hole, Jet Set Productions
He also directed the following Best Sex Scene Winners:
- 2000 GayVN Award Sex Scene (Duo) - Sam Crockett & Chad Kennedy - Technical Ecstasy, Men of Odyssey
- 2000 GayVN Award Sex Scene (Threesome) - Tanner Hayes, Zach Richards, Jack Simmons - Animus, All Worlds Video
- 2004 GayVN Award Sex Scene (Solo) - Tag Eriksson - The Hole, Jet Set Productions
- List of Grabby recipients
- List of male performers in gay porn films
- List of pornographic movie studios
- Prestigiacomo, Jennifer (February 21, 2002). "Fluffer explores most difficult job in porn industry". University Wire.
- O'Sullivan, Michael (2002-03-28). "The Fluffer". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2007-06-29.
- "Wonder Boys and Girls". LA Weekly. December 2000. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
These websites may contain graphic pornographic images
- Wash West at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview by Benjamin Scuglia on Nightcharm.com
- Profile and Interview on ManNet.com
- Official The Hole movie site
- Indie Wire Interview with Wash Westmoreland Includes some biographical data
- Naked Highway review on GayVN
- Jennifer Prestigiacomo Interview with Wash West and review of The Fluffer
- Wash West on The New Orleans Index Project