The dormitory, Cleeve Abbey, Washford
Washford shown within Somerset
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||Old Cleeve|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Police||Avon and Somerset|
|Fire||Devon and Somerset|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
|UK Parliament||Bridgwater and West Somerset|
Washford is a village on the Washford River in the civil parish of Old Cleeve, Somerset, England. The village is next to Cleeve Abbey, one of the best-preserved medieval monasteries in England. It centred in a valley close to the Bristol Channel on the A39 road 7 miles (11 km) east of the resort town of Minehead and 2 miles (3 km) southwest of the port of Watchet.
Washford railway station is a station on the West Somerset Railway, a steam-operated heritage railway. The station is the headquarters of the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust and contains a number of historic artefacts from the Somerset and Dorset Railway.
Since 1933 there has been a broadcasting station at Washford. The front parts of the old transmitter building are now part of the Tropiquaria wildlife park and house their tropical hall, aquarium, the Washford Radio Museum and the Shadowstring Puppet Theatre.
Washford has a primary school, Old Cleeve Church of England School, which currently educates about 100 three- to nine-year-old children. Washford has a few shops, including a Post Office and a hairdresser.
The village of Washford has two inns: the Washford Inn and the White Horse Inn, which is a free house.
- English Heritage. "Details from listed building database (1014824)". National Heritage List for England.
- "Old Cleeve Parish". Exmoor National Park. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- Methodist Chapel English Heritage. "Details from listed building database (1057523)". National Heritage List for England.
- Abbey Mill HouseEnglish Heritage. "Details from listed building database (1057537)". National Heritage List for England.
Media related to Washford at Wikimedia Commons
- Washford Inn – pub and hotel
- White Horse Inn – pub with accommodation
- Visit Watchet – Tourism – Review of the White Horse Inn/Hotel