Washington/Wells (CTA station)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|Address||100 North Wells Street
Chicago, Illinois 60606
Purple Line weekday rush hours only
|Connections||Ogilvie Transportation Center|
|Platforms||2 Side platforms|
|Opened||July 17, 1995|
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Passengers (2012)||2,060,141 8.2%|
Washington/Wells (also known as Washington and Wells) is a station on the Chicago Transit Authority's 'L' system, located in downtown Chicago, Illinois on the Chicago Loop elevated at 100 North Wells Street (directional coordinates 100 north, 200 west). It is the first newest station in the Loop, and opened on July 17, 1995. Washington/Wells is located a few blocks from several major attractions and business centers, such as Chicago City Hall, the Civic Opera House, and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. The station is also three blocks east of Ogilvie Transportation Center, terminal for the Union Pacific North, Northwest, and West line Metra trains. The station is located between Washington and Madison on Wells Street in downtown Chicago.
The station itself is actually situated between Washington and Madison Streets and is constructed of steel and concrete, with wooden platforms. A large, open mezzanine is accessible by stairs just south of Washington on either side of Wells, and the station is also accessible via elevators. Just past several turnstiles are stairwells leading to the platform level; the easternmost stairs go to the Inner Loop platform while the westernmost go to the Outer Loop platform. Both platforms are also serviced by elevators. It is possible to go from one platform to the other without leaving the paid area, making Washington/Wells a transfer station. The platforms are covered by a canopy from Washington to Madison; the platform continues over Madison. There are auxiliary exits on both ends of both platforms to the east sides of Washington and Madison. Both platforms can handle eight-car trains, the longest possible on the CTA system.
Washington/Wells serves the Brown Line (which travels counterclockwise on the Outer Loop track), and the Orange Line, Purple Line Express (weekday rush hours only), and Pink Line (which travel clockwise on the Inner Loop track).
- #37 Sedgwick
- #J14 Jeffery Jump
- #20 Madison (Owl Service)
- #56 Milwaukee
- #60 Blue Island/26th (Owl Service)
- #124 Navy Pier
- #157 Streeterville/Taylor
Media related to Washington/Wells (CTA) at Wikimedia Commons
- Washington/Wells Station Page at Chicago-'L'.org
- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) No. IL-1-F, "Union Elevated Railroad, Randolph-Wells Street Station"
- HAER No. IL-1-G, "Union Elevated Railroad, Madison-Wells Street Station"
- Brown Line Train schedules at CTA official site
- Orange Line Train schedules at CTA official site
- Purple Line Train schedules at CTA official site
- Pink Line Train schedules at CTA official site
- Washington Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Madison Street closed entrance from Google Maps Street View