Washington High School (Fremont, California)
|Washington High School|
"Educate, Challenge, and Inspire"
|38442 Fremont Boulevard
Fremont, California, 94536
|Established||January 11, 1892|
|School district||Fremont Unified School District|
|Campus size||20 acres (8.1 ha)|
|Color(s)||Orange and black|
|Mascot||Hank and Hannah Husky|
Washington Union High School
|Area||4.6 acres (1.9 ha)|
|Architectural style||Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals|
|NRHP Reference #||81000145|
|Added to NRHP||October 5, 1981|
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2014)|
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (July 2014)|
|This section is outdated. (July 2014)|
Demographics for the 2003-2004 school: 20% Latino or Hispanic, 6% African American or Black, 26% Asian American origin, 41% European American (White), 5% Filipino, 1% American Indian or Alaska Native, 1% Pacific Islander and 13% Multiple or No Response.
Washington High School has fourteen sports teams that each compete in the Mission Valley Athletic League (MVAL). These include cross country, American football, gymnastics, girls' tennis, girls' volleyball and water polo in the fall; basketball, soccer and wrestling in the winter; and badminton, baseball, softball, golf, swimming, track and field, seniors vs. juniors powderpuff, boys' volleyball and girls' tennis in the spring. Cheerleading is done year-round. The 5,000 seat Tak Fudenna Stadium which serves all of Fremont's five comprehensive high schools for sports venues is located on Washington High School campus.
Speech and debate
Washington High School has a speech and debate team that is currently[when?] a league member of the Coast Forensics League. Currently,[when?] Washington High School offers Parliamentary Debate, Public Forum Debate and Lincoln Douglas Debate.
The student newspaper is a monthly titled the Hatchet. The school's yearbook is the Washingtonian. The Hatchet won the Best of the West award in 2011 during the JEANC State Convention. A student literary magazine, The Scrivener, is published by the student club The Scrivener Society (formally Media Analysis Republic) once a year.
Notable alumni and faculty
- Steve Barnett: Retired NFL offensive lineman
- John Doyle (1966- ): Amateur and professional soccer player and coach
- Dennis Eckersley (1954- ): MLB pitcher
- Bill Walsh (1931–2007): Washington High School football coach, 1957-59
- Lyle West: Class of 1995, NFL Safety 
- Robin Williams: author
- John Woodcock (1954–98): NFL defensive lineman
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "2011 Best of the West Winners". Journalism Education Association. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- Mustang Soccer, Director Profile
- National Baseball Hall of Fame
- Football Digest, September 2002
- van den Heuvel, Gary (October 28, 2009). "Coaching Legend Jim Ingram". Tri-City Voice. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Robin Williams, Real Bio. Accessed 29 October 2006]
- Washington High School website
- Campus map
- Washington High School Football
- Washington Huskies Aquatics–swimming and water polo
- Washington High School Alumni, Faculty, Administrative and Custodial Staff, 1892-2000, USGenWeb Archives (over 19,000 names)
- Washington High School Alumni Foundation