Washington State Route 167
|Auxiliary route of SR 410|
|Defined by RCW|
|Maintained by WSDOT|
|Length:||28.60 mi (46.03 km)|
|Existed:||1964 – present|
|South end:||I-5 in Tacoma|
| SR 161/SR 512 near Puyallup
SR 18 in Auburn
SR 516 in Kent
I-405 in Renton
|North end:||SR 900 in Renton|
State Route 167, commonly known as the Valley Freeway, is a state highway in the U.S. state of Washington. It connects Interstate 5 in Tacoma with Interstate 405 in Renton, and is 28.60 miles (46.03 km) long.
SR 167 runs east as a four-lane divided (only by a left-turn lane) highway from Interstate 5 in Tacoma along the Puyallup River's south bank into Puyallup. SR 167 crosses the Puyallup River. Just north of the river, SR 167 turns east onto a freeway at a partial interchange. SR 167 begins a brief concurrency with SR 161 at this interchange. The freeway continues east towards Sumner. SR 161 leaves SR 167 at an interchange with State Route 512, which goes south. SR 167 continues east and meets State Route 410 at an interchange. The highway then turns north, and has a large interchange with State Route 18 in Auburn near The SuperMall of the Great Northwest. North of Auburn, the freeway has high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes. These HOV lanes were converted to high-occupancy toll (HOT) lanes on May 3, 2008 as a pilot project.
State Route 167 then continues north passing through the city of Kent before reaching Interstate 405 in Renton. An overloaded interchange with I-405 results in routine backups on I-405 as far as Tukwila to the west and the Kennydale Hill to the north. A flyover ramp completed in 2003 has improved the situation, but a more comprehensive solution is being planned as part of I-405 widening. SR 167 ends just north of Interstate 405, at State Route 900 in Renton.
Portions of State Route 167 were added to Washington's state highway system as early as 1913 as part of the Pacific Highway, although most of this was then deleted in 1923. The only portion kept was that between Auburn and Renton, which became part of State Road 5. The rest of the route (between Auburn and Tacoma) was added back to the state highway system two years later in 1925, also as a part of State Road 5. This route was extended north along Rainier Avenue into Seattle in 1937.
When Washington's current numbering system was developed with the 1964 renumbering, State Route 167 followed what is now State Route 164 from Enumclaw to Auburn before turning north towards Renton and Seattle. What is now SR 167 between Tacoma and Auburn was numbered U.S. Route 410 (later SR 410) between Tacoma and Sumner, and State Route 163 between Sumner and Auburn. These highways were renumbered to their current designations in 1973. The highway between Renton and Seattle was removed from the state highway system in 1991, although the law did not take effect until April 1, 1992.
WSDOT plans to convert the entire route in Pierce County to a freeway. WSDOT is performing advance design and engineering work. The proposed highway would bypass the snarled traffic at Meridian Way in Puyallup and continue across Interstate 5 to SR 509 in the city of Fife. The project would construct a new six mile (10 km) freeway north of the Puyallup River and complete the partial interchange at Meridian Way (SR 161). The new freeway would be four lanes with adequate space for future HOV lanes. The interchange with I-5 would have direct access HOV ramps. The upgraded SR 167 would save time travelling from Tacoma to Puyallup, as the original highway is just a four-lane road with at-grade intersections and a speed limit of 50 mph (80 km/h). It would also, in theory, complete the gap of a bypass to I-5 between Renton and Tacoma. SR 512 currently provides a freeway bypass of I-5 between Puyallup and Lakewood (south of Tacoma).
|Pierce||Tacoma||0.00||0.00||Tacoma||Southbound exit and northbound entrance|
|0.00||0.00||I‑5 – Seattle, Olympia, Portland||Southbound exit and northbound entrance|
|Puyallup||6.54||10.53||SR 161 north – Milton||South end of SR 161 overlap|
|South end of freeway|
|7.26||11.68||SR 161 south / SR 512 west – Puyallup, Olympia, Mount Rainier||North end of SR 161 overlap|
|8.09||13.02||SR 410 east – Sumner, Yakima||Former US 410|
|Sumner||10.92||17.57||24th Street East, West Valley Highway|
|Pacific||11.94||19.22||8th Street East - Pacific, Milton|
|Auburn||15.13||24.35||To SR 18 west / 15th Street Southwest, Supermall Road|
|15.61||25.12||SR 18 east – Auburn, North Bend|
|15.61||25.12||SR 18 west to I‑5 – Tacoma||Southbound exit and northbound entrance|
|17.09||27.50||15th Street Northwest, West Valley Highway|
|Kent||19.25||30.98||South 277th Street|
|20.92||33.67||SR 516 (Willis Street) – Des Moines|
|22.63||36.42||84th Street South, North Central Avenue|
|23.72||38.17||South 212th Street|
|25.74||41.42||South 180th Street, Southwest 43rd Street, East Valley Road, Southwest 41st Street|
|Renton||27.60||44.42||I‑405 – Bellevue, Everett, Burien, Seattle|
|North end of freeway|
|27.80||44.74||South Grady Way|
|28.60||46.03||SR 900 (South 3rd Street, Sunset Boulevard)|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
Route map: Bing
- Washington State Department of Transportation, State Highway Log, 2006
- Pacific Northwest Road Atlas (Map) (6th ed.). Thomas Bros. Maps. 2004. p. 182. § B3. ISBN 0-528-99511-1.
- The Road Atlas (Map). Rand McNally. 2006. p. 110. § K9. ISBN 0-528-95790-2.
- WSDOT: SR167 HOT Lanes Pilot Project
- The Road Atlas (Map). Rand McNally. 2006. p. 110. § H10, I9. ISBN 0-528-95790-2.
- WSDOT: Congestion Improvements from I-405/SR167 Ramp Separation
- WSDOT: I-405 - I-5 to SR169 Widening (includes I-405/SR167 area)
- RCW 47.17.330: Legal definition of SR 167
- Washington State Legislature (1913). "An act relating to public highways, classifying the same and naming and fixing the routes of certain state roads.". Session Laws of the State of Washington. Olympia, WA: State of Washington. 1913 chapter 65.
- Washington State Legislature (1923). "An act relating to, classifying, naming and fixing the routes of certain state highways, amending Section 6796, and repealing Sections 6791, 6792, 6793, 6794, 6795, 6797, 6798, 6799, 6800, 6801, 6802, 6803, 6804, 6805, 6806, 6808, 6809, 6811, 6812, 6813 and 6816 of Remington's Compiled Statutes.". Session Laws of the State of Washington. Olympia, WA: State of Washington. 1923 chapter 185.
- Washington State Legislature (1925). "An act relating to and establishing, classifying, naming and fixing the routes of certain state highways, and amending sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 14 and 15, Chapter 185 of the Laws of 1923, and Section 6810 of Remington's Compiled Statutes, and declaring that this act shall take effect immediately.". Session Laws of the State of Washington. Olympia, WA: State of Washington. 1925 chapter 26.
- Washington State Legislature (1937). "An act relating to public highways, creating and establishing, describing and designating the primary state highways of the State of Washington and declaring an emergency.". Session Laws of the State of Washington. Olympia, WA: State of Washington. 1937 chapter 190.
- Washington State Highway Commission, Identification of State Highways, December 1, 1965
- Session Laws of the State of Washington. 1973 (1st extraordinary session) chapter 151.
- Washington State Legislature (1991). "An act relating to state highway routes; amending RCW 47.17.115, 47.17.170, 47.17.225, 47.17.255, 47.17.305, 47.17.330, 47.17.370, 47.17.375, 47.17.410, 47.17.460, 47.17.517, 47.17.550, 47.17.615, 47.17.625, 47.17.630, 47.17.650, 47.17.660, 47.17.680, 47.17.695, 47.17.730, 47.17.752, 47.17.755, 47.17.824, 47.17.825, 42.17.830, 42.17.835, 47.17.855, 47.24.020, 47.39.020, 46.68.090, 82.36.025, 46.68.110, and 46.68.120; adding new sections to chapter 47.17 RCW; adding new sections to chapter 47.26 RCW; creating new sections; repealing RCW 47.17.245, 47.17.270, 47.17.415, 47.17.420, 47.17.450, 47.17.453, 47.17.555, 47.17.590, 47.17.600, 47.17.620, 47.17.700, and 47.17.810; making appropriations; providing effective dates; and declaring an emergency.". Session Laws of the State of Washington. Olympia, WA: State of Washington. 1991 chapter 342.
- "SR167 Tacoma to Edgewood new freeway". Washington Department of Transportation. Retrieved October 10, 2014.