|Washington Z. SyCip|
Washington SyCip in 2008
|Born||June 30, 1921|
|Monuments||Washington SyCip Park, Makati City|
|Residence||North Forbes Park, Makati City|
|Alma mater||University of Santo Tomas|
Helen Bau SyCip
Washington SyCip (b. June 30, 1921) is a Chinese Filipino accountant, founder of the Asian Institute of Management and Sycip Gorres Velayo and Company. A product of the Philippine public school system, Sycip was in the United States completing a post-graduate degree during the outbreak of the Second World War. His father, who was in Manila at the time of the Japanese invasion, was taken into custody and detained by the Japanese. After hearing reports that his father was executed by the Japanese, SyCip enlisted in the war effort. He was recruited into a "special codebreaking" class and was later deployed to India as a codebreaker.
After the war, SyCip started his own practice of accountancy. He eventually partnered with Alfredo Velayo and Ramon Gorres to form what is now known as SGV. Sycip has received numerous accolades in the fields of accountancy and consultancy.
His father, Albino SyCip, was known as the "Dean of Philippine Banking". The senior SyCip was one of the first ethnic Chinese to be admitted to the Philippine Bar.
SyCip holds a BS and MS degrees from the University of Santo Tomas (UST). He also obtained a Master of Science in Commerce from Columbia Business School. In 1984, he was conferred with Doctor of Accounting Education, honoris causa, from UST.
His full life story is encrypted in "Wash: Only A Bookkeeper, A Biography of Washington Z. SyCip" by Jose Y. Dalisay Jr. who garnered a literary award, the NBDB National Book Award for Non-Fiction Prose (2010).
- BDO Unibank, Inc, (PSE: BDO), Adviser to the Board
- Metropolitan Bank & Trust Company (PSE: MBT), Adviser to the Board
- Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PSE: TEL), Adviser to the Board
- Belle Corporation (PSE: BEL), Independent Director
- Cityland Development Corporation (PSE: CDC), Chairman of Board, Independent Director
- First Philippine Holdings Corporation (PSE: FPH), Independent Director
- Highlands Prime, Inc., Independent Director
- Lopez Holdings Corporation (PSE: LPZ), Independent Director
- MacroAsia Corporation (PSE: MAC), Chairman
- Metro Pacific Investments Corporation (PSE: MPI), Independent Director
- Philippine National Bank (PSE: PNB), Director
- Officer First Class of the Royal Order of the Polar Star (1987)
- Philippine Legion of Honor, Degree of Commander (1991)
- Order of Lakandula, Rank of Grand Cross (Bayani) (2011)
- Ramon V. del Rosario Award for Nation Building (2012)
- Washington SyCip park located in Makati city, Manila was named in his honour on his 85th birthday
- Dalisay, Jose Y. (2009). Wash, only a bookkeeper : a biography of Washington Z. SyCip. Makati City: SGV Foundation and the AIM Scientific Research Foundation. ISBN 9789719194835.
- BDO Unibank, Inc. - Annual Shareholder Meeting, 19 April 2013
- Metropolitan Bank & Trust Company - Annual Shareholder Meeting, 15 April 2013
- Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company - Annual Shareholder Meeting, 14 June 2013
- Belle Corporation - Annual Shareholder Meeting, 22 April 2013
- Cityland Development Corporation - Annual Shareholder Meeting, 4 June 2013
- First Philippine Holdings Corporation - Annual Shareholder Meeting, 27 Mai 2013
- Highlands Prime, Inc. - Annual Shareholder Meeting, 23 April 2013
- Lopez Holdings Corporation - Annual Shareholder Meeting, 30 May 2013
- Metro Pacific Investments Corporation -Annual Shareholder Meeting, 24 May 2013
- Philippine National Bank - Annual Shareholder Meeting, 28 May 2013
- Tribiana, Chit, A walk in Washington Sycip park (2012)