Washington Township, Clinton County, Indiana
Location of Washington Township in Clinton County
|Named for||George Washington|
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||28.78 sq mi (74.5 km2)|
|• Land||28.74 sq mi (74.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||846 ft (258 m)|
|• Density||38.2/sq mi (14.7/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||453989|
Washington Township is one of fourteen townships in Clinton County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, its population was 1,098 and it contained 465 housing units. The township was named for President George Washington.
Before Clinton County existed, all of its territory, along with a small piece of what's now northern Boone County, was from 1828 to 1830 part of Tippecanoe County and known as Washington Township. When Clinton County was founded, this name was retained for the township then most settled. As established on May 15, 1830, it included all of Perry Township (which was cut off in 1834) and the south half of Madison (made separate in 1835).
William Clark, the first white settler to come to this area, arrived in 1826 and built a cabin just north of what later would become Jefferson. David Kilgore and family arrived the next year and settled nearby.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 28.78 square miles (74.5 km2), of which 28.74 square miles (74.4 km2) (or 99.86%) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (or 0.14%) is water.
- Ross Township (north)
- Center Township (east)
- Union Township (east)
- Jackson Township (southeast)
- Perry Township (south)
- Lauramie Township, Tippecanoe County (west)
- Sheffield Township, Tippecanoe County (west)
- Madison Township (northwest)
The township contains three cemeteries: Abbot, Jefferson and Providence.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Claybaugh, Joseph (1913). History of Clinton County, Indiana. Indianapolis: A. W. Bowen & Company. p. 31.
- Claybaugh, Joseph (1913). "Washington Township". History of Clinton County, Indiana. Indianapolis: A. W. Bowen & Company.