Washington Township, Clinton County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Clinton County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Clinton County.
|• Total||27.4 sq mi (71.0 km2)|
|• Land||27.3 sq mi (70.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,086 ft (331 m)|
|• Density||69.5/sq mi (26.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085886|
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Union Township - north
- Green Township - east
- Clark Township - southeast
- Jefferson Township - south
- Marion Township - southwest
- Vernon Township - west
- Adams Township - northwest corner
The entire township lies in the Virginia Military District.
Part of Cowan Lake State Park is located in Washington Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- Clinton County Historical Society. Clinton County, Ohio, 1982. Wilmington, Ohio: The Society, 1982.
- Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 6th ed. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme, 2001. ISBN 0-89933-281-1
- Ohio. Secretary of State. The Ohio municipal and township roster, 2002-2003. Columbus, Ohio: The Secretary, 2003.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Clinton County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.