Washington Township, Defiance County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Defiance County, Ohio|
Location of Washington Township in Defiance County
|• Total||35.7 sq mi (92.4 km2)|
|• Land||35.7 sq mi (92.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||709 ft (216 m)|
|• Density||42.6/sq mi (16.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086040|
Washington Township is one of the twelve townships of Defiance County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,521 people in the township, 364 of whom lived in the village of Ney, and 1,157 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Pulaski Township, Williams County - north
- Springfield Township, Williams County - northeast corner
- Tiffin Township - east
- Noble Township - southeast corner
- Delaware Township - south
- Mark Township - southwest corner
- Farmer Township - west
- Center Township, Williams County - northwest corner
The village of Ney is located in central Washington Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Significant highways in Washington Township include:
- U.S. Route 127, which travels from north to south through the western half of the township
- State Route 15, which travels from northwest to southeast through the center of the township
- State Route 249, which travels west from its beginning in Ney to the Farmer Township line
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- census, Defiance County. Accessed 2007-04-21
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, p. 34. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.