Washington Township, Hancock County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Hancock County, Ohio|
Location of Washington Township in Hancock County.
|• Total||35.8 sq mi (92.7 km2)|
|• Land||35.4 sq mi (91.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||784 ft (239 m)|
|• Density||130.0/sq mi (50.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086255|
Washington Township is one of the seventeen townships of Hancock County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 4,602 people in the township, 1,011 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Perry Township, Wood County - north
- Jackson Township, Seneca County - northeast corner
- Loudon Township, Seneca County - east
- Big Spring Township, Seneca County - southeast corner
- Biglick Township - south
- Marion Township - southwest corner
- Cass Township - west
- Bloom Township, Wood County - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Hancock County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- History of Hancock County, Ohio. Warner, Beers. 1886. p. 502.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.