Washington Township, Lawrence County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Lawrence County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Lawrence County
|• Total||24.2 sq mi (62.8 km2)|
|• Land||24.2 sq mi (62.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||702 ft (214 m)|
|• Density||10.3/sq mi (4.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086450|
Located in the far northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jefferson Township, Jackson County - north
- Greenfield Township, Gallia County - east
- Symmes Township - southeast
- Decatur Township - south
- Bloom Township, Scioto County - west
No municipalities are located in Washington Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Washington Township's education services (K-12), are provided, for the most part, by the Oak Hill Union Local School District. A smaller portion of the township is provided services from the Rock Hill Local School District, which offers Pre-K through 12th grades.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lawrence County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.