Washington Township, Warren County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Warren County, Ohio|
Detailed map of Washington Township
|• Total||34.4 sq mi (89.1 km2)|
|• Land||34.3 sq mi (88.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||961 ft (293 m)|
|• Density||54.2/sq mi (20.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087122|
Washington Township is one of the eleven townships of Warren County, Ohio, United States. Located in the east-central part of the county, it is the only one of the eleven that does not contain a municipality. The population in 2000 was 1,855, up from 1,354 in 1990, the second smallest population of the eleven.
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Massie Township – north
- Adams Township, Clinton County – northeast
- Vernon Township, Clinton County – east
- Harlan Township – south
- Salem Township – southwest
- Turtlecreek Township – west, across the Little Miami River
- Wayne Township – northwest
Name and history
Washington Township was created by the Warren County Commissioners on June 27, 1818.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Most of the township is in the Clinton Massie Local School District, but parts are in the Little Miami Local School District and the Lebanon City School District. Telephone service is provided through the Lebanon, Clarksville, Morrow, and Waynesville exchanges. Mail is delivered through the Clarksville, Lebanon, Oregonia and Waynesville post offices.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Elva R. Adams. Warren County Revisited. [Lebanon, Ohio]: Warren County Historical Society, 1989.
- Robert L. Black. The Little Miami Railroad. Cincinnati: n.p., 1940.
- The Centennial Atlas of Warren County, Ohio. Lebanon, Ohio: The Centennial Atlas Association, 1903.
- Josiah Morrow. The History of Warren County, Ohio. Chicago: W.H. Beers, 1883. (Reprinted several times)
- Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 6th ed. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme, 2001. ISBN 0-89933-281-1
- William E. Smith. History of Southwestern Ohio: The Miami Valleys. New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1964. 3 vols.
- Warren County Engineer's Office. Official Highway Map 2003. Lebanon, Ohio: The Office, 2003.