Wasma'a Khalid Chorbachi
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (September 2011)|
Wasma'a Khalid Chorbachi is an American artist.
She was born in 1944 in Cairo to Iraqi parents, living and working in the United States, is a ceramicist, calligrapher, and painter. She is considered both as a "famous Arab American female artist" and as a "specialist in Islamic art" 
Solo exhibitions have been held in Beirut, 1966, 68, and 70; Florence, 1967; Abu Dhabi, 1976; Jedda, 1981; Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1983; London, 1984 and 85; Al-Khubar, Saudi Arabia, 1990; Sackler Museum, 2001. She participated to the group exhibition Forces of change presented in 1994 at the National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington, where her work was described as "abstract expressionist".
Her doctoral thesis in the history of Islamic art from Harvard University, Beyond the symmetries of Islamic geometric patterns : the science of practical geometry and the process of Islamic design, made a "pioneering use of tessellation theory for the analysis of angular interlacing patterns". She directed and designed the book Issam El-Said: Artist and Scholar published in 1989 by the Issam El-Said Foundation. She taught and published on Islamic geometry. She is an instructor at the Ceramics Program of the Office for the Arts at Harvard University.
- Oweis, Fayeq (2008). Encyclopedia of Arab American artists. ABC-CLIO. pp. 78–80. ISBN 978-0-313-33730-7.
- Temin, Christine (August 31, 2002). "Shaped by Islam the Work of Wasma'a Khalid Chorbachi Combines Ceramics, Calligraphy, and a touch of her faith". Boston Globe.
- Kayyali, Randa A. (2006). The Arab Americans. p. 129. ISBN 978-0-313-33219-7.
- Kappraff, Jay (2001). Connections: the geometric bridge between art and science. World Scientific. p. 205. ISBN 978-981-02-4586-3.
- "Wasma'a K. Chorbachi". World's Women on line. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Anne Mullin Burnham, 1994, Reflections in Women's Eyes, Saudi Aramco World
- Mikdadi, Salwa. "West Asia: Between Tradition and Modernity". Metropolitan Museum of Art. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Rogers, J.M. Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London , Volume 60, 1997.
- In the Tower of Babel: Beyond symmetry in islamic design in Computers & Mathematics with Applications, Volume 17 Issue 4-6, January 1989
- "Dr. Wasma’a Khalid Chorbachi". Harvard Ceramics. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- "Islamic Ceramic Traditions Seminar". Office for the Arts at Harvard. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Art by Chorbachi at Jordan National Gallery of Fine Arts
- An Islamic Pentagonal Seal coauthored by Wasma'a Khalid Chorbachi in Fivefold Symmetry, 1992
|This article about an artist from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|