Water (Brad Paisley song)
|Single by Brad Paisley|
|from the album American Saturday Night|
|Released||March 29, 2010|
|Length||4:21 (Album Version)
3:30 (Single Version)
|Brad Paisley singles chronology|
"Water" is the title of a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer Brad Paisley. It was released in March 2010 as the fourth single from his album American Saturday Night. The song first charted in 2009 as an album cut before its release to radio. Paisley wrote this song with Kelley Lovelace and Chris DuBois.
In "Water," the narrator lists off various situations involving water: playing in a kiddie pool as a child, jumping from a rope swing with friends on a riverbank, and later wet t-shirt contests on spring break and skinny dipping with a girlfriend. He describes each situation as beginning a "love affair with Water."
The music video was directed by Jim Shea. It premiered on his website on April 15, 2010 and features Brad playing guitar in a pool and funny videos of people interacting with water.
Chris Neal of Country Weekly, in his review of the album, wrote that the song is "destined to be heard throughout the season at campouts and backyard parties" and that its theme made the album "first and foremost a summer album." Mario Tarradell of The Dallas Morning News cited the track as an example of Paisley's humor, saying that it did not "wear out [its] welcome the way 'Ticks' did."
Joe Heim of The Washington Post thought that "Water" was a "clunker" and "should have been subtracted" from the album. The 9513 reviewer Jim Malec gave the song a thumbs-down, saying that it had "the same attempts at subtle humor that define much of his catalog" and adding, "there's nothing even remotely witty about rote descriptions of scenes involving water." Allen Jacobs of Roughstock gave the song a 3.5/5 rating, saying that "it's a song that anyone who loves to have a good time will relate to and that’s exactly the point of it."
Upon its release as a single, the song re-entered the country singles charts at number 48 on the chart dated for the week ending March 27, 2010.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||54|
|US Billboard Hot 100||42|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||18|
"The House That Built Me"
by Miranda Lambert
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
July 10 – 17, 2010
"Rain Is a Good Thing"
by Luke Bryan
- Malec, Jim (February 22, 2010). "Brad Paisley — "Water"". The 9513. Retrieved March 16, 2010.
- Neal, Chris (July 6, 2009). "American Saturday Night review". Country Weekly. Retrieved March 16, 2010.
- Tarradell, Mario (June 29, 2009). "CD review: 'American Saturday Night' by Brad Paisley". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved March 16, 2010.
- Heim, Joe (June 29, 2009). "A Lively Mix of Honky-Tonk, Heart". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 16, 2010.
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Best of 2010: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2010. Retrieved December 13, 2010.
- "Jennifer Lopez Certificates". Recording Industry Association of America. (RIAA). 2011-04. Retrieved 2011-04-26.