Water polo at the 1900 Summer Olympics
|Men's water polo
at the Games of the II Olympiad
|Dates||August 11 (quarterfinals)
August 12 (semifinals and final)
|Competitors||58 from 4 nations|
Eight teams entered the water polo event, with one withdrawing before competition. The seven participating teams included four separate French teams, with two French teams from the Pupilles de Neptune de Lille swim club. The tournament was played in a single-elimination format with no playoff for third place and two bronze medals were awarded. This resulted in 4 of the 7 teams being awarded medals, one of whom only played and lost a single match.
|Gold medal match
|Osborne Swimming Club (GBR)||12|
|Tritons Lillois (FRA)||5|
|Osborne Swimming Club||10|
|Pupilles de Neptune de Lille #2||1|
|Pupilles de Neptune de Lille #2 (FRA)||3|
|Berliner Swimming Club (GER)||2|
|Osborne Swimming Club||7|
|Brussels Swimming and Water Polo Club||2|
|Brussels Swimming and Water Polo Club (BEL)||2|
|Pupilles de Neptune de Lille #1 (FRA)||0|
|Brussels Swimming and Water Polo Club||5|
|Libellule de Paris||1|
|Libellule de Paris (FRA)|
|1||Osborne Swimming Club||Great Britain||Thomas Coe
John Henry Derbyshire
Arthur G. Robertson
|2||Brussels Swimming and Water Polo Club||Belgium||Jean de Backer
Victor de Behr
|3||Libellule de Paris||France||Thomas Burgess
|Pupilles de Neptune de Lille #2||France||Eugène Coulon
|5||Berliner Swimming Club||Germany||Hans Aniol
Herbert von Petersdorff
|Pupilles de Neptune de Lille #1||France||Favier
Charles de Vendevill
- Mallon lists 5 players in addition to these 7 found in the IOC database. Sports-Reference explains that the official roster is likely wrong and that five of the medalists didn't compete, and the team that actually competed consisted of Coe, Kemp, Robert Crawshaw, William Henry, John Jarvis, Frederick Stapleton, and Victor Lindberg.
- Mallon lists 3 players in addition to these 7.
- Burgess was British, leading some sources (e.g., Sports-Reference) to consider this team a mixed team, but the IOC considers the medal to have been won by a French team.
- Listed in the IOC database as "Devenot", but almost certainly the same person who competed in swimming.
- Mallon lists 4 players in addition to these 7.
- Houben was Belgian, leading some sources (e.g., Sports-Reference) to consider this team a mixed team, but the IOC considers the medal to have been won by a French team.
- This player appears to have played for both PdNdL teams.
- International Olympic Committee medal winners database
- De Wael, Herman. Herman's Full Olympians: "Water Polo 1900". Accessed 11 March 2006. Available electronically at .
- Mallon, Bill (1998). The 1900 Olympic Games, Results for All Competitors in All Events, with Commentary. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers. ISBN 0-7864-0378-0.