Location of Waterford, Wisconsin
|• Total||2.68 sq mi (6.94 km2)|
|• Land||2.58 sq mi (6.68 km2)|
|• Water||0.10 sq mi (0.26 km2)|
|Elevation||827 ft (252 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||5,348|
|• Density||2,080.6/sq mi (803.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1584361|
Waterford is a village in Racine County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 5,368 at the 2010 census. The village is located mostly within the Town of Waterford. A portion extends into the adjacent Town of Rochester.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.68 square miles (6.94 km2), of which, 2.58 square miles (6.68 km2) of it is land and 0.10 square miles (0.26 km2) is water.
Waterford experiences four distinct seasons, with variations in precipitation and temperature being very wide.
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,368 people, 2,114 households, and 1,483 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,080.6 inhabitants per square mile (803.3 /km2). There were 2,272 housing units at an average density of 880.6 per square mile (340.0 /km2). The racial makeup of the village was 97.0% White, 0.4% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 0.6% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.0% of the population.
There were 2,114 households of which 36.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.6% were married couples living together, 10.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 29.8% were non-families. 24.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.04.
The median age in the village was 39.6 years. 27.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.2% were from 25 to 44; 25.6% were from 45 to 64; and 15% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 48.5% male and 51.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,048 people, 1,561 households, and 1,139 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,645.1 people per square mile (635.3/km²). There were 1,628 housing units at an average density of 661.6 per square mile (255.5/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.15% White, 0.27% Black or African American, 0.22% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 0.42% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. 1.88% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,561 households out of which 36.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.8% were married couples living together, 9.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.0% were non-families. 21.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the village the population was spread out with 28.4% under the age of 18, 5.7% from 18 to 24, 32.7% from 25 to 44, 21.2% from 45 to 64, and 12.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.5 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $55,804, and the median income for a family was $64,453. Males had a median income of $44,417 versus $27,917 for females. The per capita income for the village was $22,741. About 0.9% of families and 3.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 0.6% of those under age 18 and 7.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Charlie Ganzel, born in Waterford, major league baseball player
- Barbara Lawton, Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin
- John Navarre, Former NFL and University of Michigan Quarterback
- Walter J. Rush, Republican member of the Wisconsin State Senate
- Lynn E. Stalbaum, U.S. Representative
- Victor Willard, Free Soil member of the Wisconsin State Senate
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Reichler, Joseph L., ed. (1979) . The Baseball Encyclopedia (4th edition ed.). New York: Macmillan Publishing. ISBN 0-02-578970-8.
- Lawrence Kestenbaum. "Index to Politicians: Stafseth to Standifer". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- Village of Waterford
- The Waterford Area Local History Collection University of Wisconsin Digital Collections Center
- Sanborn fire insurance map: 1911