Waterford Kettering High School
|Waterford Kettering High School|
|2800 Kettering Drive
Waterford, Michigan, 48329
|School district||Waterford School District|
|Teaching staff||66 (as of 2005-06)|
|Student to teacher ratio||21.5 (as of 2005-06)|
|School color(s)||Forest Green and White |
|Athletics||MHSAA Class A|
|Athletics conference||Kensington Lakes Activities Association|
|Team name||Captains |
|Rival||Waterford Mott High School|
Broadcasting " WK-TODAY"
The football stadium, Jim Larkin Stadium, has grass and has stands for approximately 1500 fans. Each of the school's two gymnasiums hold stands that can seat over 900 for basketball and volleyball games.
The Performing Arts Center, completed in 2004, includes band, choir, and orchestra suites with full sound systems, projector screens, and acoustic design fully implemented in their ceilings and walls.
Internet Suspension Case
In 2001, the school suspended Joshua Mahaffey for postings critical of fellow students made on a private website. In Mahaffey v. Aldrich, a federal judge overruled the suspension in 2002. The 143-day suspension stemmed from Mr. Mahaffrey's posting of a "people I wish would die list." The list named fellow students, but no faculty or staff of the school.
Waterford Kettering fields teams in baseball, basketball, bowling, cheerleading, cross country, football, golf, hockey, lacrosse, skiing, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track, volleyball, diving, and wrestling. The teams are known as the Captains, with the exception of the swim team, ski team, basketball team and lacrosse team which are formally named "The Pirates".
State championship titles
- Cross Country: 1991 (Brodie Laduc)
- Softball: 1991
- Softball: 1998
- Wrestling: 2008 (Andrew Brackins, 103 lbs)
- Cross Country: 2004 (Justin Switzer)
- Girls Swimming and Diving: 2011 (Madison Wright)
- Winter Running Club Champions: 2011-2012 (Austin Katona, Lucas Bowman, Dillon Ross, Ryan Squanda)
- Girls Swimming and Diving: 2012 (Madsion Wright)-Swimmer of the Year-All American
- Girls Swimming and Diving: 2013 (Miranda Tucker & Madison Wright) Swimmers of the Year-All Americans
Waterford Kettering has several musical ensembles: three concert bands, two jazz bands, the Marching Captains marching band, multiple choir groups, a philharmonic orchestra, a symphony orchestra, and a chamber orchestra. The WK Marching Captains, Wind Ensemble, Chamber and Mass Choir, and orchestras performed at Disney Magic Music Days in 2003, 2007, and 2011. They plan on going again in early 2015.
- Dave Marsh, music critic
- Jim Miller, former NFL player 
- Pat LaFontaine, former NHL player
- Kirk Gibson, former MLB player
- Gail Goestenkors, head women's basketball coach, University of Texas
- "School Detail for Waterford Kettering High School". National Center for Educational Statistics.
- "School Directory - Waterford Kettering HS". Michigan High School Athletic Association.
- "Teen's suspension overruled". Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "Schools watch Web expression". SPLC Report (Student Press Law Center) XXIV (1): 25. Winter 2002-2003.
- "Dave Marsh hits airwaves with new show on Oct. 10". Detroit News. 2004-10-01. "With the addition of Marsh, a graduate of Waterford Kettering High School, Sirius adds to its growing stable of Detroiters..."
- "In Chicago, a 'Beary Christmas'". Detroit Free Press. 2001-11-29. "Lately, the Bears have rallied around veteran quarterback Jim Miller, who played at Michigan State and Waterford Kettering High School."