Waterford Township, Washington County, Ohio
|Waterford Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Washington County.
|• Total||38.8 sq mi (100.5 km2)|
|• Land||37.6 sq mi (97.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.2 sq mi (3.1 km2)|
|Elevation||807 ft (246 m)|
|• Density||98.6/sq mi (38.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087145|
Waterford Township is one of the twenty-two townships of Washington County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 3,708 people in the township, 2,426 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Center Township, Morgan County - north
- Jackson Township, Noble County - northeast corner
- Adams Township - east
- Watertown Township - south
- Windsor Township, Morgan County - west
Name and history
It is the only Waterford Township statewide.
Waterford was named after the Waterman and Ford families who were founding fathers to the area. These men, after receiving land grants from their duties during the Revolutionary War, moved their families into this territory. Generations later both families still live in the area today.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Washington County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.