Waunarlwydd shown within Swansea
|Ceremonial county||West Glamorgan|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Mid and West Wales|
|UK Parliament||Swansea West|
|Welsh Assembly||Swansea West|
A mostly residential area, despite its expanding size the village has the feeling of a small community.
The main road in and out of the village is the B4295. The nearest motorway junction is 47 Swansea West (Penllergaer) on the M4.
The original main road from Swansea was Waunarlwydd Road, which starts from Cockett Road (A4216) at the Cockett Inn pub and runs to the meeting point of Cwmbach Road and Swansea Road at the old Lamb & Flag pub.
Waunarlwydd was the home of an aluminium rolling operation owned by US company Alcoa. Alcoa announced in November 2006 that it would close the plant by the end of March 2007, with the loss of 298 jobs. Decommissioning works are now taking place, while a small workforce is still employed in homogenisation[clarification needed], where heat treatment takes place for the Kitts Green plant.
TIMET, the world's largest supplier of titanium metals, is now the major employer in the village, with the mill one of four European locations.
There are 3 nursing homes: Ashgrove House,Tŷ Waunarlwydd and Tŷ Victoria.
There is now only one pub in the village, the Masons Arms, plus the club house for the rugby team on Roseland Road. There were previously two more pubs, the Village Inn (previously called the Domino), but that has now closed and was converted into the Grill House restaurant, and the Farmers Arms, which has been closed.
There are two primary schools in the village: one is English language medium, this school is located on Brithwen Road and replaced the original Swansea Road school. The other, Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Y Login Fach, is a Welsh language school located on Roseland Road.
After primary school children go on to either Ysgol Gyfun Gwyr or Gowerton Comprehensive School, however the latter is the better choice.
The Anglican church in the village is St Barnabas Map on Victoria Road.
Seion Baptist Church meets at 10:30 on a Sunday morning for a bilingual service and Sunday school. Seion also runs a Welsh language kids club and a Welsh language youth group on a Wednesday at 3:20pm and 5pm.
Respective biblical references:
- Rugby: Waunarlwydd RFC currently play in WRU Division One West and have 3 pitches
- Football: Waunarlwydd AFC compete in Swansea Senior League in the Welsh football league system with 1 pitch (a second was recently converted to a rugby pitch)
- Cricket: Waunarlwydd RFC have a team who play their home games at the Elba in Gowerton
- Pool: there are tables in the Masons Arms and rugby club
- Darts: is played in each pub and the rugby club
- Other: various indoor sports, classes and bingo are held in the Community Centre located on Victoria Road
- 298 jobs to go as factory shuts BBC News - 21 November 2006