Waverley (MBTA station)
Waverley station viewed from Trapelo Road in 2010
|Address||525 Trapelo Road
Belmont, MA 02478-1403
|Connections||MBTA Bus: 73, 554|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
March 4, 1974
|Passengers (2013)||117 (weekday inbound average)|
Waverley is a passenger rail station on the MBTA Commuter Rail Fitchburg Line, located in Waverley Square, Belmont, Massachusetts. The station is located below grade, in the triangle of Trapelo Road, Lexington Street, and Church Street in western Belmont.
The Fitchburg Railroad opened through Belmont on December 20, 1843, but no station stop at Waverly Square existed until about 1860. The original station was at grade; it was depressed in 1952, at which time Central Mass Line trains were moved from their parallel tracks onto the Fitchburg main. All service to Waverley and nearby Belmont Center ended in 1958.
Service to Belmont Center and Waverley resumed on March 4, 1974. The Central Mass Branch had been discontinued in 1971, so all service was on the South Acton (now Fitchburg) Line. Weekend service was discontinued at the two stops on January 30, 1981 as part of general cutbacks, but restored on December 6, 1993.
Two MBTA Bus routes terminate at Waverley Square:
- 73 Waverley Square - Harvard station via Trapelo Road
- 554 Waverly Square - Downtown Boston via Newton Corner, Central Square, Waltham & Bentley College
- Humphrey, Thomas J. and Clark, Norton D. (1985). Boston's Commuter Rail: The First 150 Years. Boston Street Railway Association. p. 86-88. ISBN 9780685412947.
- Belcher, Jonathan (22 March 2014). "Changes to Transit Service in the MBTA district" (PDF). NETransit. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (14 ed.). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Waverley station official website
- Station from Lexington Street from Google Maps Street View
|This Massachusetts train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|