mixed Hunanese and Miao?
Dialect map of Hunan.
Waxianhua is the bit of dark blue in the medium blue (SW Mandarin) just above the red (Xiang)
Waxianghua (simplified Chinese: 瓦乡话; traditional Chinese: 瓦鄉話; pinyin: wǎxiānghuà) is a divergent variety of Chinese, spoken in the northwestern part of Hunan province. Waxianghua is a distinct language, which is very different from its surrounding Southwestern Mandarin, Xiang and Qo Xiong languages. Waxianghua is used by Waxiang people, an unrecognized ethnic minority group in Hunan province, China.
Waxianghua is found in Luxi, Guzhang and Yongshun counties in Xiangxi Tujia and Miao Autonomous Prefecture, Zhangjiajie prefecture-level city (in Dayong 大庸), and Chenxi, Xupu and Yuanling counties in Huaihua prefecture-level city. Neighboring languages include Southwestern Mandarin, Xiang Chinese, Tujia, Qo Xiong, and Hm Nai.
- "hua" means speech in Mandarin Chinese,
- "xiang" means rural in Mandarin Chinese
- "wa" means speech in Southern Chinese dialects.
The word Wa 瓦 is only a phonetic transcription.
Wu & Shen (2010) report Waxianghua to be spoken in the following villages.
- Yuanling County 沅陵县: Qingshuiping 清水坪, Maxipu 麻溪铺, Taichang 太常, Wusu 乌宿, Liangshuijing 凉水井
- Luxi County 泸溪县: Basheping 八什坪, Shangbao 上堡, Liangjiatan 梁家谭, Baisha 白沙镇
- Guzhang County 古丈县: Linchang 林场 of Gaowangjie 高望界, Gaofeng 高峰 (in Taojin 淘金村, Beishuiping 北水坪, etc.), Yantouzhai 岩头寨, Shanzao 山枣, Yezhu 野竹, Hepeng 河蓬, Caotan 草潭
- Chenxi County 辰溪县: Tianwan 田湾, Banqiao 板桥, Chuanxiyi 船溪驿, Tanjiafang 谭家坊
- Xupu County 溆浦县: Rangjiaxi 让家溪, Daweixi 大渭溪, Muxi 木溪
- Yongshun County 永顺县: Limin 里明村, Zhenxi 镇溪, Xiaoxi 小溪 of Wangcun Township 王村镇
|Waxiang Chinese test of Wikipedia at Wikimedia Incubator|
- Wu Yunji, Shen Ruiqing [伍云姬、沈瑞清]. 2010. An Investigative Report of Waxianghua of Guzhang County, Xiangxi Prefecture [湘西古丈瓦乡话调查报告]. Shanghai Educational Press [上海教育出版社]. http://book.chaoxing.com/ebook/read_12668381.html