Way Too Early
|Way Too Early|
Current Show Title Card
|Presented by||Thomas Roberts|
|Country of origin||USA|
|Location(s)||New York City|
|Running time||30 Minutes|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||July 27, 2009 – present|
|Preceded by||First Look|
Way Too Early is an American morning news show airing weekday mornings on MSNBC. It premiered on July 27, 2009, and is hosted by Thomas Roberts. The original executive producer was Chris Licht, who was also the co-creater and executive producer of Morning Joe before leaving MSNBC to become executive producer of CBS This Morning and Vice President of Programming at CBS.
The shows are similarly themed, although Way Too Early is not branded "Brewed by Starbucks" like Morning Joe, and have similar graphics packages. They are also broadcast from the same set and frequently reference each other.
Phil Griffin, President of MSNBC, announced the show on July 15, 2009, and described it as a "pre-game show" for Morning Joe. Mike Barnicle often filled in for original host Willie Geist, jokingly referring to the show as "Way Too Old (or Elderly) with Mike Barnicle", while Peter Alexander also covered for Geist. On September 24, 2012, NBC News announced that Geist would be named co-host of the 9 a.m. hour of Today, filling the co-host slot formerly held by Savannah Guthrie (who now anchors the 7-9 a.m. portion of the morning program).
On May 8, 2013, MSNBC announced that CNBC reporter Brian Shactman would be the new regular host of Way Too Early. He began his anchoring duties for the show on May 13, 2013.
On January 3, 2014, MSNBC announced that Thomas Roberts would be the new regular host of "Way Too Early" starting on January 13.
Regular segments on Way Too Early include:
- Three Questions – Beginning the show with three video clips of newsworthy events from the previous day, and poses an open-ended question relating to them.
- The News – A fast-paced round-up of the previous day's and overnight news.
- All Up In Your Business – Business and market-related news, with analysis from the CNBC London bureau.
- The Weather – National forecast from The Weather Channel, currently provided by NBC meteorologist Bill Karins.
- Sports – Highlights of the top sports stories.
- Morning Buzz – A "wake-up call" phone segment to a prominent figure, celebrity, correspondent, or politician to discuss a news topic.
- Sound Smart – Random fact or some other piece of information to help you "sound smart" during the day.
- The Cooler – Soft news stories and other conversation starters.
- Why Are You Awake? – At the beginning of the program, Roberts asks viewers to email or text in reasons why they are awake at the early hour the show airs, and some of the more creative or unusual answers are read by the show's producer in its final segment.
On April 23, 2014 Mike Barnicle used the word "fuck" on air at the opening of the transition to the Morning Joe show while onsite at Wrigley Field .
- "'Way Too Early With Willie Geist' to Debut July 27 on MSNBC". NBC. 2009-07-15. Retrieved 2009-07-27.[dead link]
|MSNBC Weekday Lineup
|This article about a television news series is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|