|Official name: Borough of Waymart|
|Elevation||1,873 ft (571 m)|
|Area||2.8 sq mi (7.3 km2)|
|- land||2.7 sq mi (7 km2)|
|- water||0.1 sq mi (0 km2), 3.57%|
|Density||496.7 / sq mi (192 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Waymart is located at . Founded as a Borough in 1851. According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 2.8 square miles (7.3 km2), of which, 2.7 square miles (7.0 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (3.57%) is water. There is a large lake (Lake Ladore) near the borough.(41.580959, -75.406826)
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,341 people, 518 households, and 326 families residing in the borough. The population density was 496.7 people per square mile (192/km²). There were 566 housing units at an average density of 209.6 per square mile (81.9/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 97.2% White, 0.3% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.1% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.2% of the population.
There were 518 households out of which 27.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.7% were married couples living together, 14.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.1% were non-families. 31.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the borough the population was spread out with 22.7% under the age of 18, 55.7% from 18 to 64, and 21.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43.8 years.
The median income for a household in the borough was $35,208, and the median income for a family was $40,417. Males had a median income of $30,395 versus $19,583 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $14,498. About 8.1% of families and 12.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.0% of those under age 18 and 20.7% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Post Office™ Location - WAYMART." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on February 23, 2011.
- "USP Canaan Contact Information." Federal Bureau of Prisons. Retrieved on February 23, 2011. "3057 EASTON TURNPIKE WAYMART, PA 18472."
- "Canaan township, Wayne County, Pennsylvania." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on February 23, 2011.