Wayne A. Downing
|Wayne A. Downing|
General Wayne A. Downing
May 10, 1940|
|Died||July 18, 2007
|Place of burial||West Point Cemetery, New York|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1962–1996|
|Commands held||United States Special Operations Command
U.S. Army Special Operations Command
Joint Special Operations Command
75th Ranger Regiment
|Awards||Defense Distinguished Service Medal (2)
Distinguished Service Medal (2)
Silver Star (2)
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit (4)
Bronze Star (6)
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal (3)
Air Medal (9)
Army Commendation Medal (4)
|Other work||military analyst, NBC News|
Wayne Allan Downing (May 10, 1940 – July 18, 2007) was a retired four-star United States Army general born in Peoria, Illinois. He graduated from the United States Military Academy with a Bachelor of Science degree in 1962 and held a Master of Business Administration degree from Tulane University.
- Sep 62 – Feb 63 Student, Infantry Officer Basic and Ranger Course
- Apr 63 – Jun 64 Platoon Leader, 173rd Airborne Brigade (Separate)
- Jun 64 – Sep 64 Liaison Officer, 173rd Airborne Brigade (Separate)
- Dec 64 – Oct 65 Aide-de-Camp to the Commanding General, 173rd Airborne Brigade, Vietnam
- Oct 65 – Apr 66 S-2/S-5 (Intel/Civil Affairs) Officer, 173rd Airborne Brigade, Vietnam
- Apr 66 – Aug 67 Instructor, Infantry School, Fort Benning, GA
- Aug 67 – Jan 68 Company Commander, Infantry Training Center, Fort Benning, GA
- Jan 68 – Sep 68 Student, Infantry Officer Advance Course, Infantry School, Fort Benning, GA
- Sep 68 – Dec 68 Company Commander, 25th Infantry Division, Vietnam
- Dec 68 – Sep 69 Battalion S-3 (Operations) Officer, 25th Infantry Division, Vietnam
- Sep 69 – Oct 69 Brigade S-3 (Operations) Officer, 25th Infantry Division, Vietnam
- Dec 69 – Jan 72 Graduate Student, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
- Feb 72 – Jun 72 Student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, VA
- Jun 72 – Feb 75 Senior Operations / Systems Analyst, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
- Mar 75 – Dec 76 Battalion S-3 Officer / Executive Officer, 75th Infantry (Ranger), Fort Stewart, GA
- Dec 76 – Mar 77 Commander, Task Force (Alaska), 24th Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, GA
- May 77 – Jul 79 Commander, 2nd Battalion (Ranger), 75th Infantry, Fort Lewis, WA
- Aug 79 – May 80 Student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
- Jun 80 – Apr 82 Secretary to Joint Staff, European Command, Vaihingen, Germany
- May 82 – Apr 84 Commander, 3rd Brigade, 1st Armored Division, U.S. Army Europe, Germany
- May 84 – Nov 85 Commander, 75th Infantry Regiment (Ranger), Fort Benning, GA
- Nov 85 – Jun 87 Deputy Commanding General, 1st Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, NC
- Jun 87 – May 88 Director, Washington Office, United States Special Operations Command, MacDill Air Force Base, FL
- May 88 – Dec 89 Deputy Chief of Staff (Training), U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command, Fort Monroe, VA
- Dec 89 – Aug 91 Commanding General, Joint Special Operations Command, U.S. Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, NC
- Aug 91 – Apr 93 Commanding General, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, NC
- May 93 – Feb 96 Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), MacDill Air Force Base, FL
In 2001, Downing came out of retirement to coordinate the national campaign "to detect, disrupt and destroy global terrorist organizations and those who support them." He held the title of National Director and Deputy National Security Advisor for combating terrorism. He reported to then-National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice and Homeland Security director Tom Ridge. From 2003 until his death he held the Distinguished Chair at the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point.
In 2006 he received the United States Military Academy's 2006 Distinguished Graduate Award.
On September 24, 2008, the Metropolitan Authority of Peoria voted unanimously to change the name of the Greater Peoria Regional Airport to the "General Wayne A. Downing Peoria International Airport".
Awards and decorations
Downing's awards and decorations include:
Downing also earned the Vietnam Civil Actions Medal Unit Citation, French Parachutist Badge, 75th Ranger Regiment DUI and Secretary of Defense ID Badge.
Dowing was on the Board of Directors of SAIC and Chairman of the Special Projects Committee of the Corporation.
- NBC Nightly News, Western Edition, September 27, 2007
- CBSNEWS (8 October 2001). "Counter-Terror Team Takes Shape". http://www.cbsnews.com/news/counter-terror-team-takes-shape/.
- C-SPAN (9 October 2001). "New Anti-Terrorism Officials Announcement". http://www.c-span.org/video/?166573-1/new-antiterrorism-officials-announcement.
- Wayne A. Downing, 67; Army general was a prominent advisor on terrorism
- MSNBC report
- MSNBC report – Peoria Airport Gets A New Name
- Commemoration for Wayne Downing by NBC News
- An interview with General Wayne Downing on WTVP's "Interesting People" Recorded on March 31, 2006
- Profile at SourceWatch