Wayne Allyn Root
|Wayne Allyn Root|
July 20, 1961 |
Mount Vernon, New York
|Political party||Republican, (pre-2007, 2012-present) Libertarian (2007–2012)|
|Children||Dakota Root, Hudson Root, Remington Reagan Root, Contessa Root|
|Occupation||TV celebrity, producer, author, CEO, politician|
|Religion||Jewish, Born again Christian|
|Website||Root for America|
Wayne Allyn Root (born July 20, 1961) is an American politician, entrepreneur, television and radio personality, author and political commentator. He was the 2008 Libertarian Party vice-presidential nominee. Root began his career as a professional sports handicapper, based in Las Vegas, Nevada.
His political talk radio show, W.A.R: The Wayne Allyn Root Showis broadcast in New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago. Root is a frequent guest on several nationally syndicated radio shows such as Savage Nation, The Jerry Doyle Show, and Mancow's Morning Madhouse. He has also made numerous appearances on various programs on the Fox News Channel. He is a frequent speaker at Tea Party events across the United States.
At the 2008 Libertarian National Convention, Root was eliminated on the fifth ballot in a bid for the presidential nomination, and subsequently became the vice presidential candidate alongside Libertarian nominee Bob Barr. Root lost a bid to become National Chair of the Libertarian Party at the party's 2010 Convention.
In 2012, Root left the Libertarian Party, and rejoined the Republican Party, endorsing Mitt Romney for President.
Early life and education 
Root was born in Mount Vernon, New York in 1961, the son of the late David and Stella Root. His father was a butcher from Bronxville, New York, who dabbled in third party politics as one of the original founders of the New York State Conservative Party.
Root graduated as Valedictorian from his high school, Thornton-Donovan School, then graduated from Columbia University in 1983 as a Political Science major. This would place him in the same graduating class as President Barack Obama, although Root states that he does not have any recollection of having met or seen Obama at Columbia.
||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
Sports handicapper 
Root's TV handicapping career began in New York City on WNBC radio (now WFAN) in the early 1980s. He moved onto NBC "Source Radio Network" syndicated around the country in over 100 markets as a sports talk host. He later became one of the youngest anchormen and national TV hosts in America from 1989 through the early 1990s on Financial News Network (FNN), now known as CNBC.
TV producer and personality 
Root is the author of several books, including The Zen of Gambling,The Joy of Failure!, The King of Vegas' Guide to Gambling, Millionaire Republican, and The Conscience of a Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gold & Tax Cuts.
Financial adviser 
Root is spokesman, board member and Senior Economic Adviser to Wealth Masters International ("WMI"), a global financial services and education company based in Houston, Texas. Norwegian authorities have suspended WMI's sales, finding it to be an illegal pyramid scheme. Root is named in the finding. Root has partnered with Kip Herriage of WMI and Gerald Celente to create the "Crashproof Prosperity Investment Newsletter".
Root was a longtime Republican Party member and supporter who self-identified as a Libertarian Republican. In 2007, Root ended his association with the Republican Party and joined the Libertarian Party. He wrote a book on his libertarian views, The Conscience of a Libertarian, which was published in 2009. In September 2012 he declared he would be returning to major party politics.
2008 presidential campaign 
On May 4, 2007, Root declared his candidacy for the Libertarian Party's 2008 presidential nomination on Las Vegas' Fox 5 television station. On February 5, 2008, he placed second in the Missouri Libertarian presidential primary with 18% of the vote (47% voted for "Uncommitted"). He came in second in Arizona and third in California, without campaigning in any of these states.
On May 25, 2008, Root made it to the fifth ballot of the LP presidential nomination vote at the 2008 Libertarian National Convention before being eliminated and endorsing Bob Barr, who went on to the party's presidential nomination. Root then became the LP vice presidential nominee, securing the nod in the third round of voting for that nomination.[dead link]
In September 2008, Root offered to give up his VP slate on the Libertarian ticket to make room for Ron Paul, as the LP had received feelers that the former Republican presidential candidate may have been interested in getting on a strong third party ticket, as there remained a strong following behind him. Paul declined the offer, and denied any intention of running on a third-party presidential ticket.
Libertarian National Committee 
In 2010, Root ran for the position of chair of the Libertarian National Committee of the Libertarian Party of the United States. He was defeated by Mark Hinkle by a vote of 228–281 in the third round but subsequently succeeded in being elected to the Libertarian National Committee as an At-Large Member.
In July 2011 Root was elected chair of the "Libertarian National Congressional Committee", a Federal Elections Commission registered entity. He renamed it the "Libertarian National Campaign Committee."
At the 2012 Libertarian National Convention Root again was elected to the Libertarian National Committee as an At-Large Member, despite being seen as part of the "top-down faction." The party's 2012 presidential candidate Gary Johnson endorsed Root. Root received the lowest total of the five candidates elected. In a September 2012 letter, he resigned all Libertarian Party positions, saying he would seek a Senate seat "outside of a third party."
Political positions 
Root supports smaller government, reduced spending, reduced entitlements, reduced bureaucracy, dramatically lower taxes, and greater personal freedom for individuals. In the area of education, he supports more parental control, more emphasis on school choice (moving education to the state and local level), and increased competition through vouchers. Root and his wife choose to home-school their children. He is also a strong supporter of gun rights for the individual. Root is a small businessman who believes the 2-party system is built on corruption, greed and bribery. He is a fiscal conservative in the mode of his heroes Ronald Reagan, and Barry Goldwater. He believes most social issues should be determined at the state and local level. Root calls for the repeal of the income tax and favors replacing it, as well as all other sources of federal tax revenues, with a tax on each state in proportion to its population, with each state deciding for itself how to raise its share of the money, which is mentioned in Article 1, Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution. This has been called a "State-Rate Tax".
Root holds that "the Iraq war is a disaster". He states the answer is to "use the success of the surge to declare victory and make plans to get out of Iraq as soon as reasonably possible". He also questions Central Intelligence Agency information on Iran, would use "any diplomatic means", including the United Nations, in order to "avoid another war".
On August 6, 2012, Root speculated that Barack Obama attended Columbia University as a foreign exchange student citing his "gut instinct" as evidence.
2012 election predictions 
In October 2012, Root predicted a Mitt Romney "landslide" in the 2012 presidential election. He told the Washington Times that had "a history of predicting political winners and losers without ever taking a poll" and predicted Mitt Romney would win in a "landslide" of 5 to 7 to 10 points and an electoral vote win of 100 to 120 votes. On Fox News he emphasized his being "a Las Vegas oddsmaker." Obama won reelection by four percentage points.
Personal life 
- Betting to Win on Sports (as Wayne Alan Root, with Wilbur Cross). Bantam. 1989. ISBN 978-0-553-34789-0.
- The Joy of Failure!: How to Turn Failure, Rejection, and Pain into Extraordinary Success. Summit Publishing Group. 1997. ISBN 978-1-56530-206-8.
- The Zen of Gambling: The Ultimate Guide to Risking It All and Winning at Life (with Paul Pease). Tarcher. 2004. ISBN 978-1-58542-402-3.
- Millionaire Republican. Tarcher. 2005. ISBN 978-1-58542-512-9.
- The King of Vegas' Guide to Gambling: How to Win Big at Poker, Casino Gambling & Life!The Zen of Gambling updated. Tarcher. 2006. ISBN 978-1-58542-529-7.
- The Conscience of a Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gold & Tax Cuts. Wiley. 2009. ISBN 978-0-470-45265-3.
- The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide: How to Survive, Thrive, and Prosper During Obamageddon. Regnery Publishing. 2013. ISBN 978-1621570912.
See also 
- Root, Wayne Allyn (2003-04-05) "Exposing the Liberal Media – Part 1", www.Newsmax.com.
- Interview with Wayne Root on Federal Bailout of Newspaper Industry at 5 minutes, 30 seconds, Fox News, December 22, 2009.
- Batoon, Nathan (July 6, 2009) "Activists decry federal taxes". The Daily Texan online. Retrieved July 14, 2009.[dead link]
- Columnists:Wayne Allyn Root, Las Vegas Review Journal.
- Wayne Allyn Root Archives, Newsmax.com.
- Wayne Allyn Root's Libertarian Presidential Candidate Website: Root for America!
- Vinciguerra, Thomas (October 3, 2008). Vinciguerra, Thomas (October 5, 2008). "The Life of the 3rd Party". New York Times. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- Obama at Columbia University, factcheck.org, February 23, 2010
- Wayne Allyn Root, The Conscience of a Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gambling & Tax Cuts, John Wiley and Sons, 2009, p.352, ISBN 0-470-45265-X, 9780470452653
- Wealth Masters International Endorsed by Wayne , Allyn Root, Wealth Masters International Testimonials YouTube video, posted August 20, 2010.
- Wealth Masters International – Vedtak med pålegg om stans av salg i Norge i henhold til pyramidebestemmelsen i lotteriloven § 16 Lotteri- og Stiftelsestilsynet. Retrieved 2011-10-14 (Resolution to cease sales in Norway according to the pyramid definition of the gaming law § 16. Norwegian Gaming and Foundation Board.)English translation.
- CrashProof Prosperity Investment Newsletter website.
- Wayne Allyn Root's Blog – MY LIBERTARIAN AWAKENING, May 15, 2007.
- Wayne Root, Wayne Root leaves Libertarian Party leadership, will seek US Senate seat, Root letter published at the Independent Political Report website, September 6th, 2012.
- Davis, Os (July 25, 2008). "Wayne Allyn Root: The industry’s man in Election 2008."
- Official results from LP.org
- Sheinin, Aaron Gould (2008-09-10)"Barr asks Ron Paul to be his running mate", Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved on September 11, 2008.[dead link]
- (2010-05-31) "Root falters in bid to grab top Libertarian post", Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved June 1, 2010.
- Libertarian National Congressional Committee Federal Elections Commission filings page.
- Wayne Allyn Root, Root Elected Chairman of Libertarian National Congressional Committee (LNCC), Libertarian Party website blog, July 13, 2010.
- Libertarian National Campaign Committee website.
- Garret Quinn, Starchild Is Here, Reason magazine, May 6, 2012.
- Garrett Quinn,Gary Johnson: The LNC Chair Race is Exciting! Interesting!, Reason magazine, May 6, 2012
- "2012 Libertarian National Convention minutes".
- Root, Wayne Allyn (April 15 2008). "A Realistic Plan to End Federal Income Taxes Forever". RootForAmerica.com. Retrieved July 8, 2008.
- www.Rootforamerica.com "Where Wayne Stands" page.
- Glenn Beck "Interview with Presidential candidate Wayne Allyn Root", MSNBC March 7, 2008.
- King, James (August 7, 2012). "Obama "Scandal" Is At Columbia (Claims "Gut Instinct" Of Right-Wing Vegas Oddsmaker)". The Village Voice. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- Wayne Allyn Root, ROOT: Mitt Romney heading for a landslide win, Washington Times, October 12, 2012.
- Wayne Allyn Root, Romney wins in a landslide -- Las Vegas oddsmaker doubles down on prediction, Fox News, October 09, 2012; Predicting the 2012 presidential election, O'Reilly Factor interview, October 19, 2012.
- "Election Results". Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Motivational Speakers / Wayne Allyn Root / Bio, Premiere Speakers Bureau.
- Official website
- WinningEdge.com official website
- Interview on Wikinews
- Interview on RawVegas.tv
- YouTube page
- Candidate profile at Project Vote Smart
- Presidential campaign FEC disclosure report
- Interview with the Progressive Student Voice
- World peace think tank supports Root
- Wealth Masters International Senior Economic Advisor & Executive Committee
- Root interview on the American spirit
|Party political offices|
|Libertarian Party Vice Presidential candidate