Wayne Allyn Root
|Wayne Allyn Root|
July 20, 1961 |
Mount Vernon, New York
|Political party||Republican (pre-2007, 2012-present)
|Children||Dakota Root, Hudson Root, Remington Reagan Root, Contessa Root|
|Occupation||TV celebrity, producer, author, CEO, politician|
|Religion||Jewish, Born again Christian|
|Website||Root for America|
Wayne Allyn Root (born July 20, 1961) is an American politician, entrepreneur, television and radio personality, TV producer, political commentator and national best-selling author. He was the 2008 Libertarian Party (LP) vice-presidential nominee. Root is the author of 9 books. His latest book "The Murder of the Middle Class" is a national bestseller. The only authors ahead of Root in the bestseller rankings for political hardcover books are all #1 NY Times bestsellers- Dr. Ben Carson, Charles Krauthammer, Dinesh D'Souza and Edward Klein. Rush Limbaugh made a rare endorsement of Wayne's book on his show (the #1 rated political talk show in America). Wayne now has "the Rush Limbaugh Seal of Approval."
His last book, "The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide" opened up on April 15, 2013 as #1 political hardcover book in bookstores (according to BookScan, the book industry source). It stayed in the Top 5 of political bestsellers in bookstores for 10 consecutive weeks. It also hit #1 of all political and economic bestsellers at Amazon for several weeks. It finished 2013 as the 10th bestselling political hardcover of the year.
Root is a former CNBC host (of 5 shows) and anchorman, and a columnist and commentator for FoxNews.com. His political talk radio show, W.A.R: The Wayne Allyn Root Show was broadcast in New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago for several years. Root is today a guest host for "Savage Nation" starring Michael Savage, one of the Top 5 most popular radio shows in America. Root is a frequent guest on several nationally syndicated radio shows such as The Bill Cunningham Show on over 300 Premier Radio stations, Savage Nation, America Now with Andy Dean,The Jerry Doyle Show, Mancow's Morning Madhouse, and The Big Biz Show. He makes frequent appearances on various programs on the Fox News Channel - including multiple appearances on Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, Neil Cavuto, and regularly on Fox & Friends.
He appeared in 2013 on The Piers Morgan Show on CNN. He has appeared in the past on The Larry King Show on CNN. After the 2012 Presidential election he appeared on The Joy Behar Show. He is a frequent speaker at Tea Party events across the United States. Root was the original founder of the Republican Jewish Coalition of Nevada. Root was invited to the White House by former President George W. Bush in December 2005 for the White House Hannukah party. Root and his wife spent time meeting with President George and First Lady Laura Bush.
Root's political columns appear on various conservative web sites, including FoxNews.com, TheBlaze.com, HumanEvents.com, Townhall.com, Breitbart.com, Dailycaller.com, PersonalLiberty.com, Newsmax.com, as well as The Washington Times and Las Vegas Review Journal. His column, "Obamacare is a Fantastic Success" was one of the most-read of 2013 at FoxNews.com. He has the most-read commentaries ever at TheBlaze.com and PersonalLiberty.com. Root's column "Obama is the Great Jobs Killer" was quoted in Time magazine in 2010.
At the 2008 Libertarian National Convention, Root was eliminated on the fifth ballot in a bid for the party's presidential nomination. He subsequently became the 2008 LP vice presidential candidate alongside Libertarian nominee Bob Barr. In 2010, Root was elected to the Libertarian National Committee (LNC) and re-elected in 2012. He resigned from that position later that year to rejoin the Republican Party. Root endorsed Mitt Romney on Fox News in September. He was later named as Executive Vice Chairman of The Conservative Caucus (TCC) in Washington D.C.
Root has announced he is exploring a run as a Republican for U.S. Senate in Nevada in 2016. Root is also a successful TV producer. He is producer of "Ghost Adventures" the #1 show on Travel Channel for 8 consecutive seasons. The 100th episode of Ghost Adventures aired in 2013. It was the highest rated show ever on Travel Channel. Root was Creator, Executive Producer and co-Host of "King of Vegas" on Spike TV.
Root is also a spokesman for several national and international companies. He serves on multiple Boards of Directors. Before politics he was best known as a professional sports handicapper and Vegas oddsmaker, dubbed by the media as "The King of Vegas." CNBC aired a profile on his career. Root was awarded a star on the Las Vegas Walk of Stars on August 15, 2006.
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 3 Politics
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Bibliography
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Early life and education
Root was born in Mount Vernon, New York in 1961, the son of the late David and Stella Root. His father was a butcher from Bronxville, New York, who dabbled in third party politics as one of the original founders of the New York State Conservative Party.
Root graduated as Valedictorian from his high school, Thornton-Donovan School, then graduated from Columbia University in 1983 as a Political Science major. This would place him in the same graduating class as President Barack Obama. Root has stated that he has no recollection of having met or seen Obama at Columbia.
||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
Root's TV handicapping career began in New York City on WNBC radio (now WFAN) in the early 1980s. He moved onto NBC "Source Radio Network" syndicated around the country in over 100 markets as a sports talk host. He later became one of the youngest anchormen and national TV hosts in America from 1989 through the early 1990s on Financial News Network (FNN), now known as CNBC.
TV producer and personality
Root is the author of several books, including The Zen of Gambling,The Joy of Failure!, The King of Vegas' Guide to Gambling, Millionaire Republican, and The Conscience of a Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gold & Tax Cuts.
Spokesperson for Wealth Masters International
Root is a former paid spokesperson for, and board member of, Wealth Masters International ("WMI"), a global financial services and education company based in Houston, Texas. Norwegian authorities have suspended WMI's sales, finding it to be an illegal pyramid scheme. Root is named in the finding.
Root was a longtime Republican Party member and supporter who self-identified as a Libertarian Republican. In 2007, Root ended his association with the Republican Party and joined the Libertarian Party. He wrote a book on his libertarian views, The Conscience of a Libertarian, which was published in 2009. In September 2012 he left the LP and announced his return to major party politics.
2008 presidential campaign
On May 4, 2007, Root declared his candidacy for the Libertarian Party's 2008 presidential nomination on Las Vegas' Fox 5 television station. On February 5, 2008, he placed second in the Missouri Libertarian presidential primary with 18% of the vote (47% voted for "Uncommitted"). He came in second in Arizona and third in California, without campaigning in any of these states.
On May 25, 2008, Root made it to the fifth ballot of the LP presidential nomination vote at the 2008 Libertarian National Convention before being eliminated and endorsing Bob Barr, who went on to the party's presidential nomination. Root then became the LP vice presidential nominee, securing the nod in the third round of voting for that nomination.
2012 presidential campaign
In 2012, Root predicted Mitt Romney would win the United States presidential election, 2012 against incumbent President Barack Obama, citing, among other factors, that the "Enthusiasm Factor" for Romney was "huge".
When Mitt Romney lost the election, however, getting only 47% percent of the popular vote, Root admitted in a Fox News editorial: "Well, I was wrong. The 2012 electorate looked almost identical to 2008. Obama's supporters didn’t just come for a second helping of misery -- they came out enthusiastically and even appeared to cheer for more."
2016 senate campaign
Libertarian National Committee
In 2010, Root ran for the position of chair of the Libertarian National Committee of the Libertarian Party of the United States. He was defeated by Mark Hinkle by a vote of 228–281 in the third round. He subsequently succeeded in being elected to the Libertarian National Committee as an At-Large Member.
In July 2011 Root was elected chair of the "Libertarian National Congressional Committee", a Federal Elections Commission registered entity. He renamed it the "Libertarian National Campaign Committee."
At the 2012 Libertarian National Convention Root again was elected to the Libertarian National Committee as an At-Large Member, despite being seen by some LP members as being part of the "top-down faction." The party's 2012 presidential candidate Gary Johnson endorsed Root.
Root supports smaller government, reduced spending, reduced entitlements, reduced bureaucracy, dramatically lower taxes, and greater personal freedom for all individuals. In the area of education, he supports more parental control, more emphasis on school choice (moving education to the state and local level), and increased competition through vouchers. Root and his wife choose to home-school their children. He is also a strong supporter of gun rights for the individual. Root is a small businessman who believes the 2-party system is built on corruption, greed and bribery. He is a fiscal conservative in the mode of Ronald Reagan and Barry Goldwater. He believes most social issues should be determined at the state and local level. Root calls for the repeal of the income tax and favors replacing it, as well as all other sources of federal tax revenues, with a tax on each state in proportion to its population, with each state deciding for itself how to raise its share of the money, as is mentioned in Article 1, Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution.
On August 6, 2012, Root speculated that Barack Obama attended Columbia University as a foreign exchange student, citing his "gut instinct" as evidence. Root was specifically referring to the fact that Obama's childhood years spent with his mother in Indonesia. In response to Senator Harry Reid's speculation about Mitt Romney's tax returns, Root offered speculation on Obama's college records.
- Betting to Win on Sports (as Wayne Alan Root, with Wilbur Cross). Bantam. 1989. ISBN 978-0-553-34789-0.
- The Joy of Failure!: How to Turn Failure, Rejection, and Pain into Extraordinary Success. Summit Publishing Group. 1997. ISBN 978-1-56530-206-8.
- The Zen of Gambling: The Ultimate Guide to Risking It All and Winning at Life (with Paul Pease). Tarcher. 2004. ISBN 978-1-58542-402-3.
- Millionaire Republican. Tarcher. 2005. ISBN 978-1-58542-512-9.
- The King of Vegas' Guide to Gambling: How to Win Big at Poker, Casino Gambling & Life!The Zen of Gambling updated. Tarcher. 2006. ISBN 978-1-58542-529-7.
- The Conscience of a Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gold & Tax Cuts. Wiley. 2009. ISBN 978-0-470-45265-3.
- The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide: How to Survive, Thrive, and Prosper During Obamageddon. Regnery Publishing. 2013. ISBN 978-1621570912.
- Root, Wayne Allyn (2003-04-05) "Exposing the Liberal Media – Part 1", www.Newsmax.com.
- Interview with Wayne Root on Federal Bailout of Newspaper Industry at 5 minutes, 30 seconds, Fox News, December 22, 2009.
- Wayne Allyn Root's Libertarian Presidential Candidate Website: Root for America!
- McCullagh, Declan (November 6, 2009). "Did Barack Obama Actually Attend Columbia?". CBSNews.com. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- Vinciguerra, Thomas (October 3, 2008). Vinciguerra, Thomas (October 5, 2008). "The Life of the 3rd Party". New York Times. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- Wayne Allyn Root, The Conscience of a Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gambling & Tax Cuts, John Wiley and Sons, 2009, p.352, ISBN 0-470-45265-X, 9780470452653
- Wealth Masters International Endorsed by Wayne , Allyn Root, Wealth Masters International Testimonials YouTube video, posted August 20, 2010.
- Wealth Masters International – Vedtak med pålegg om stans av salg i Norge i henhold til pyramidebestemmelsen i lotteriloven § 16 Lotteri- og Stiftelsestilsynet. Retrieved 2011-10-14 (Resolution to cease sales in Norway according to the pyramid definition of the gaming law § 16. Norwegian Gaming and Foundation Board.)English translation.
- Wayne Allyn Root's Blog – MY LIBERTARIAN AWAKENING, May 15, 2007.
- Wayne Root, Wayne Root leaves Libertarian Party leadership, will seek US Senate seat, Root letter published at the Independent Political Report website, September 6th, 2012.
- Quinn, Garrett (September 14, 2012). "An Exit Interview With Wayne Allyn Root". Reason Online. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- Davis, Os (July 25, 2008). "Wayne Allyn Root: The industry’s man in Election 2008."
- Official results from LP.org[dead link]
- Allyn Root, Wayne (October 12, 2012). "Las Vegas Oddsmaker Explains Why He Predicts Romney Landslide". Townhall.com.
- Abad-Santos, Alexander (January 4, 2013). "It's Official: Romney Got 47% of the Vote". The Atlantic.
- Allyn Root, Wayne (November 13, 2012). "What went wrong with my prediction about Mitt Romney and the 2012 election". Fox News.
- (2010-05-31) "Root falters in bid to grab top Libertarian post", Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved June 1, 2010.
- Libertarian National Congressional Committee Federal Elections Commission filings page.
- Wayne Allyn Root, Root Elected Chairman of Libertarian National Congressional Committee (LNCC), Libertarian Party website blog, July 13, 2010.
- Libertarian National Campaign Committee website.
- Garret Quinn, Starchild Is Here, Reason magazine, May 6, 2012.
- Garrett Quinn,Gary Johnson: The LNC Chair Race is Exciting! Interesting!, Reason magazine, May 6, 2012
- Root, Wayne Allyn (April 15, 2008). "A Realistic Plan to End Federal Income Taxes Forever.". RootForAmerica.com. Retrieved July 8, 2008.
- "The Blaze".
- Motivational Speakers / Wayne Allyn Root / Bio, Premiere Speakers Bureau.
- Official website
- Wayne Allyn Root at the Internet Movie Database
- WinningEdge.com official website
- Interview on Wikinews
- Interview on RawVegas.tv
- YouTube page
- Candidate profile at Project Vote Smart
- Presidential campaign FEC disclosure report
- Interview with the Progressive Student Voice
- World peace think tank supports Root
- Wealth Masters International Senior Economic Advisor & Executive Committee
- Root interview on the American spirit
|Party political offices|
|Libertarian Party Vice Presidential candidate