Wayne Arthurs (politician)
|Preceded by||New riding|
|Succeeded by||Tracy MacCharles|
|Preceded by||Janet Ecker|
|Succeeded by||Riding abolished|
|Mayor of Pickering, Ontario|
|City Councillor in Pickering, Ontario|
|Born||1948 (age 66–67)|
Wayne Arthurs (born c. 1948) is a former politician in Ontario, Canada. He was a Liberal member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario from 2003 to 2011 who represented the ridings of Pickering—Ajax—Uxbridge and Pickering—Scarborough East.
Arthurs was a member of the Pickering municipal council from 1982 to 1988. In 1988 he was elected as Mayor of the city. He defeated former Conservative MPP George Ashe. He stayed on as mayor until 2003. He was also a member of the Durham Regional Council.
Arthurs was elected to the Ontario legislature in the provincial election of 2003, defeating high-profile Progressive Conservative cabinet minister Janet Ecker by 1010 votes. Arthurs was still mayor of Pickering at the time of the election and was still registered for the municipal election that was being held later in 2003. Arthurs resigned as mayor soon after he won the election. He was re-elected in 2007.
During his time in office Arthurs remained on the backbench but served as Parliamentary Assistant to several ministries including Minister of Finance and Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs. In 2010 he announced his intention to retire from politics.
|Ontario general election, 2003|
|Progressive Conservative||Janet Ecker||23,960||43.91||-14.28|
|New Democratic||Vern Edwards||3,690||6.76||+1.05|
|Ontario general election, 2007|
|Progressive Conservative||Diana Hall||12,927||31.8||-12.11|
|New Democratic||Andrea Moffat||4,531||11.1||+4.34|
|Family Coalition||Mitchell Andrew Persaud||229||0.6|
- Calis, Kristen (December 8, 2010). "Longtime Pickering politician calls it quits". Oshawa This Week (Metroland Media).
- Mascoll, Phil; Irish, Paul (November 15, 1988). "Arthurs beats George Ashe in battle to head Pickering". Toronto Star. p. B5.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots by Candidate". Elections Ontario. October 2, 2003.
- Josey, Stan (September 29, 2003). "Back-to-back winners?; Pickering mayor hedges his bets Campaign leader joins one of 2 races". Toronto Star. p. B3.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 10, 2007. p. 12 (xxi).