Wayne Barrett (kickboxer)
|Born||1986 (age 28–29)
Georgia, United States
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||84.8 kg (187 lb; 13.35 st)|
|Reach||77.0 in (196 cm)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Boxing, Muay Thai|
|Fighting out of||Queens, New York, United States|
|Team||Square Circle Muay Thai
Renzo Gracie Fight Academy
Wayne Barrett (born 1986) is an American kickboxer who competes in the cruiserweight division. A tall and rangy fighter, Barrett came to prominence as an amateur when he became a WKA national champion and turned professional in 2013. He signed with Glory after just one pro fight.
Early career (2006–2013)
Wayne Barrett began training in karate at ten years old before transitioning to Muay Thai and compiling a record of 19-1 with 15 knockouts as an amateur. He also successfully competed as an amateur boxer, winning a Golden Gloves title in his native Georgia and then relocating to New York City to train under Rob Rogan at Square Circe Muay Thai in Manhattan and Kelly Richardson at the Renzo Gracie Fight Academy in Brooklyn. Notable sparring partners of his include Douglas Lima, Jarrell Miller, James Besselman, Costa Philippou, Brian Stann, Gian Villante and Eddie Walker.
He defeated Simon Camaj by unanimous decision to claim the WKA Amateur United States Cruiserweight (-86 kg/189 lb) Muay Thai Championship on April 29, 2011 and had his last match in the amateur ranks on December 7, 2012, taking a unanimous decision over Quinton O'Brien.
Following this, Barrett signed with Glory as a competitor in the kickboxing organization's -85 kg/187 lb middleweight division. In his promotional debut against the previously undefeated Mike Lemaire at Glory 9: New York in New York City on June 22, 2013, it took him less than round to establish his dominance in the ring as he scored an early standing eight count. In the second round, Barrett dropped Lemaire with a knee before stopping him with a left hook followed by a right cross that sent him crashing to the canvas face first.
In the reserve match for the Glory 10: Los Angeles - Middleweight World Championship Tournament in Ontario, California on September 28, 2013, Barrett delivered another impressive performance as he knocked out the overmatched Robby Plotkin in the first round after flooring him earlier.
Taking a large step up in competition in just his fourth fight, he was matched with the Glory Middleweight Tournament Champion Joe Schilling in the main event of Glory 12: New York in New York City on November 23, 2013. Barrett struck first in the second round when he knocked Schilling down twice. The first knockdown came from a right overhand early in the round and the second from a right hook as the round ended. In the third, Schilling was able to gain some ground back when he connected with a knee that dropped Barrett, but he was able to beat the count. The fight went to the judges and Barrett was awarded a unanimous decision victory.
It was announced during the Glory 15: Istanbul broadcast that Barrett would be one of eight fighters competing in the Glory 17: Los Angeles - Last Man Standing middleweight tournament in Inglewood, California on June 21, 2014. He drew Bogdan Stoica in the quarter-finals and won via third round knockout when he countered one of the Romanian's signature flying knees with a vicious left hook. In the semis, he met Joe Schilling in a rematch but was unable to replicate his prior success against the Ohio native as he lost a split decision.
Championships and awards
- Georgia Golden Gloves
- Georgia Golden Gloves Championship
- World Kickboxing Association
- WKA Amateur United States Cruiserweight (-86 kg/189 lb) Muay Thai Championship
|Professional kickboxing record|
|5 wins (4 KOs), 2 loss, 0 draws
|Amateur kickboxing record|
|19 wins (15 KOs), 1 loss, 0 draws
Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes
- GLORY Middleweight Rankings: June
- LiverKick.com Middleweight Rankings: June
- New York KO artist Wayne Barrett to make GLORY debut against champ Mike Lemaire
- Fightday Exclusive: Interview With GLORY 9′s Wayne Barrett
- Glory 12's Wayne Barrett: 'I definitely see myself walking out with my hand raised'
- Friday Night Fights results
- Friday Night Fights Recap - Hasanov wins via split decision, Valtellini wins by TKO
- Wayne Barrett wins his last amatuer Muay Thai fight at Friday Night Fights!
- SCNY’s Wayne Barrett Makes His Successful Pro Debut!
- Glory 9 Results and Recap: Tyrone Spong Wins Light Heavyweight Tournament
- GLORY 9 Results and Review: Tyrone Spong Wins Light Heavyweight Tournament, Ghita Dominates Guidon
- GLORY 9 New York Live Results and Updates
- GLORY 10 Live Results and Updates
- GLORY 10 results, LIVE online fight coverage stream for 'Los Angeles'
- Glory 10 Results and Recap: Schilling stuns Levin to win 4-man tournament
- Glory 12 Results and Recap: Andy Ristie shocks the world with two huge knockouts
- GLORY 12 Live Results and Updates
- GLORY 12 results: Upsets galore as Giorgio Petrosyan falls short to tourney winner Andy Ristie
- GLORY 17 Los Angeles Featuring PPV Tournament
- GLORY 17: 'Last Man Standing' 8-man middleweight PPV announced for June 21
- Glory 17 and Last Man Standing Live Results
- Glory's Last Man Standing Results
- Glory results: Artem Levin, Rico Verhoeven and Joseph Valtellini take home Glory gold